Hallo From Hertfordshire & Our Longdog

• 3HOUNDS
  • Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #39205 by 3HOUNDS
Hi, my name is Heather & we've had greyhounds since 2001 but recently fostered for GRWE, Greyhound Rescue West of England and then adopted Smokey, a first cross DH/GH aged 9yrs. Her owner was too elderly to care for her and she suffered SA for a few weeks so my neighbour used to get about an hour of DH singing/crying and howling. She began to learn that I did come home after shopping trips and all is fine and dandy now. She's a real character wanting to play with our 5yr old black Grey but he refuses and Stanley at 12yrs hides when she goes mad.

Last weekend we had an 8yr old male DH to stay for 2 nights after it came into the care og GRWE but he was off to a new home on Monday. We ran out of floor space but he was an absolute dream and a part of our hearts went with him! He was so affectionate and good natured, especially considering his circumstances. So our dream came true and we actually had a DH in our house!

We live in Watford, Hertfordshire so hope to come to some dog shows in the near future. There's a DH puppy in this area and they've started to join us on "Greyhound Walks", a charity who organises social saunters for GH and Lurchers but the DH sought permission to join as he's a hound. All great fun.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by 3HOUNDS. Reason: Better title
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neil

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #39240 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Replied by Craters_on_the_lawn on topic Re: Wanting to learn more about Deerhounds
Hi Heather, great to hear from you. Welcome to the forum. I too am a supporter of GRWE - have been on some of their walks, helped at a street collection and went to one of their dog shows last September (where I've very proud to say that Henry won "most handsome dog"!)
I live in Herefordshire.
I have a deerhound x (probably greyhound) Henry, and after having had greyhounds before I find him rather different but also wonderful - he's really taken my heart - and so I too joined this forum to learn more - and very interestingly it answered alot of questions about why my boy - Henry - is as he is. He may look more greyhound than Deerhound - (although he is 32 inches at the shoulder!) - but personality-wise he is ALL deerhound.

Thanks for mentioning "the hound lounge" here, I'd not heard of it before but am finding it very interesting - I am rather passionate about rescue dogs and would love to foster too one day (have got to move house first though).
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Craters_on_the_lawn.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds