Invisible fencing

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #38816 by maggiemac
Invisible fencing was created by maggiemac
I am about to move (Feb/Mar) to a rural cottage, it is surrounded by fields and woods ...lovely, however I dont want to turn the garden into Fort Knox, I`ve been looking into invisible fencing to keep the hound safe, has anyone any experience of this type of fencing and any problems they might have encountered?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 6 months ago #38820 by Vikingxc
Replied by Vikingxc on topic Re: Invisible fencing
My fence is only three feet tall and Loki has only jumped it once

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #38824 by maggiemac
Replied by maggiemac on topic Re: Invisible fencing
Can Loki see muntjac and Roe over the fence? Aoife has attempted to jump my 6ft garden wall on hearing a child crying so the new view will be exotic and enticing, to fence it would ruin the outlook and be extremely costly.I`ve done a little research on this type of fencing and I`m sure its the way forward but I need to hear from DH owners if they`ve used it.Thanks, at least Loki has learned not to jump her fence, I could be years before that lesson sinks in lol!

More
8 years 6 months ago #38826 by greycloud
Replied by greycloud on topic Re: Invisible fencing
read the article by Victoria Stillwell in January 2013 edition of Dogs Today magazine. I cannot offer any advice as I have never encountered invisible fencing but I dont think you can beat 'proper' fencing

More
8 years 6 months ago #38832 by Lieve
Replied by Lieve on topic Re: Invisible fencing
I have no example of a deerhound living with an invisible fencing, but I now from 4 barzoï's living with that kind of collars. It is going very well, if you do not forget to reload the batteries.
The owners explained that you have to follow the installation guide very carefully, example if you come to close to a door the dog can not use this.
It is important to make a visible fence for the dog, not only the invisible, you must make it visible for the dog. Your dog will need a time learning, in witch you can better not leave him alone outside.

More
8 years 6 months ago #38833 by Vikingxc
Replied by Vikingxc on topic Re: Invisible fencing
Loki can see deer from our garden most days

• verenav
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #38836 by verenav
Replied by verenav on topic Re: Invisible fencing
They seem to be used sometimes over here, in Canada, other than giving your dog an electrical shock ( which I can not imagine doing!) one of the bigger problems is, that, when stimulated enough many dogs will run over it, but do not dare coming back in- also, your dog would nt be safe from any dangers coming in ( aggressive dogs perhaps in you r case- bear and similar here...I once, many years ago, tried an electric fence/movable in a rental place I was living in- my dogs ( not sighthounds) were so utterly frightened by the shock ( not even on their throats!) that I quickly took everything down and threw it out. 6foot fence here and plenty of deer, bear, coyote coming by- all deerhounds I have hunt when they have a chance, no one ever jumped the fence to get to the "prey".

More
8 years 6 months ago #38839 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re: Invisible fencing
I once visited Beardswood Deerhounds in Buckinghamshire to look at a litter of pups. The first thing I noted was that the Deerhounds came down the drive, which had no gate or fencing on, but didn't set outside the boundary. It turned out they had collars on that had a chip or something in. There must have been an electrical box on the wall somewhere, but those dogs didn't step outside once. I was amazed. We have standard 6 foot fencing round the actual garden, but have fenced the main garden off with a 3 foot picket fence so they only have their garden to pooh on, mine has never attempted to jump the 3 foot fence, it depends on what you train them to do. Our previus dogs were working dogs and would scale the highest of fences.
Ask Heather Helps for advice on the fencing.

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #38859 by Trowsahound
Replied by Trowsahound on topic Re: Invisible fencing
Here we are surrounded by sheep in winter which presents a serious problem for us since they were VERY interested in them and made several attempts at getting out to them - so I put up electric horse tape in front of our fence when the sheep are there - yes the first time they got shocked by it and were not impressed, but now they know what it is and can see it, they avoid it like the plague and the problem has been quickly and simply solved as they wont go near the fence anymore when the horse tape is there. I wouldn't use the invisible fence technique as they would not understand what caused them the pain and it would be confusing to them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #38860 by maggiemac
Replied by maggiemac on topic Re: Invisible fencing
Again thank you all for your advice. I`d also considered horse tape and post and rail fencing. From my research it seems you train the dog in question to avoid the perimetre by introducing flags(the short ones you stick in the ground), the flags represent the beep, which represents the shock. Yes a shock will be the ultimate deterrent but like horses I guess once is enough. If I use heavy gauge fencing I will restrict my neighbours view of the surrounding countryside(how popular I`d be!!), Deer mesh would give me the Fort Knox look and it would spoil my outlook too. I`ve still a few weeks before I have to make my mind up, so if anyone else would like to add to the topic ....Whilst I`m here, Happy New Year everyone, may the roof above you never fall in, and the company below it,never fall out. xx

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #38864 by Woorarra
Replied by Woorarra on topic Re: Invisible fencing
We have this for our Staffy, and it works brilliantly....for her. have not tried Daisy on it yet, but have read several different places on the net that it's pointless with DH's, as once they sight something they're off! So, I'm thinking for Daisy's safety, and the safety of neighboring livestock, we're going to be looking at fencing in our large house paddock with ring lock, quite high so she can run to her hearts content but can't get out and make mischief.

Good luck, and if you give it a whirl let us know how you go.

Cheers!

Sorry, forgot to mention, with the kind of invisible fencing we have for our Staffy, you actually set out these little pink or white (your choice) flags around the perimeter, which gives the dogs a sight reference until they learn where the boundary is. Then there is a 3 metre/1 yard buffer zone, a soft boundary if you will, where the dog will hear a series of clicks or chirps, the closer they get to the hard boundary the louder and quicker the clicks/chirps are before they get to the no go zone/ hard boundary and get zapped. The collar settings can be adjusted, as every breed, nee every dog, has it's own tolerance to the shocks. My Staffy is a Sherman Tank; she feels nothing. So we have to set hers quite high (I do not like doing this of course) but it's enough that she won't go near the boundaries. You start removing the flags here and there over time and it doesn't take long for them to learn where the hard and soft boundaries are. She's brilliant with it. Won't go near it. But she's got a 1/2 acre house and garden block though and is quite happy with that (she's older,happier having a nap in the sun than in Finding something to get into these days). I honestly cannot see Daisy "getting" the invisible fencing, as I don't think she'd pick up on the flags. She's not stupid by any stretch of the imagination, it's just that they don't move so she wouldn't notice them. dh:)

"Outside of a dog, a book is your best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to,read" - Groucho Marx
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Woorarra.

More
8 years 6 months ago #38874 by Brollachan
Replied by Brollachan on topic Re: Invisible fencing
I agree with Verena. If something runs past and the dogs instincts take over, they will run over the barrier (getting shocks) but then can't return home when in a calmer state of mind. Not my choice for a sighthound.

More
8 years 6 months ago #38876 by Lieve
Replied by Lieve on topic Re: Invisible fencing
Happy New Year everyone, may the roof above you never fall in, and the company below it,never fall out. xx

What a nice way to say things. :P

For me this forum, helps learning english, Thank you all very much.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.249 seconds