"harnessing energy"

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago #38498 by maggiemac
Replied by maggiemac on topic Re: "harnessing energy"
Hi everyone, thank you all for your help, I eventually purchased a "Dogmatic" halter and training lead, its wonderful! She`s a bit sulky about it but never pulled or reversed or leapt about me , fantastic. I will feel much happier about taking her out and about with the Jack Russells. Only people who have this breed really understand them. Maggie.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago #38552 by maggiemac
I thought you might like to know how we are getting on with the "dogmatic" head collar. It works, once on- she becomes my prisoner, hehe!Literally. LOL. The minute she sees it she sulks,and refuses to walk forward ,its only when I pretend to go without her that she follows me! I know she doesnt like it, and I dont want to make her unhappy, but until she walks without pulling it will remain .I followed the advice of clipping the lead both to the halter and the collar and have found that regardless of the circumstances she is quiet and quite steady.Once we get to the fens she`s off lead and away so she`s still having fun and I`m slowly getting a little fitter.All the advice was appreciated.

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago #38581 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Replied by Craters_on_the_lawn on topic Re: "harnessing energy"
Good to hear you are feeling much more in control now with the dogmatic.

Just be careful though; these deerhound types are far too clever for their own good - at the end of the "off-lead" time, when you need to put her back on to her dogmatic, she may decide that she doesn't want to recall and come back to you because she's going to have "that horrid headcollar" back on. You may end up with an impossibly annoying hound who thinks its great fun playing "sighthound tag" with you chasing arround never able to catch her!! (Speaking from experience!!!)

What I would advise is
1. Make sure you give a treat every time you put the dogmatic on - you need to get her to associate the dogmatic with something good (my dog doesn't like having his on either). It needs to be a really good, smelly yummy treat - none of those boring dog biscuits - my deerhound x Henry will just look at these with distain. Cheese, or sausages or my current favourite - "misfits motley mixes" because they have all the convienience of a packet treat, but are soft and very smelly, very popular with my dogs, even Henry.

2. When you do get her to recall at the end of the off-lead time, DON'T put the dogmatic on straight away - this is when I just use the other clip on Henry's collar, so that he's not the associating the recall with the headcollar. Then I put the headcollar on after we've walked for about a minute /100meters or so. If I'm likely to be walking anywhere unsafe (traffic, other dogs, cats etc), then I just make sure I get him back on the lead at least 100 meters or so BEFORE we leave the safe field. I vary where and when I make that last recall, so he doesn't learn when the recall is going to result in going on the lead. (I do other "practise" recalls as we are walking that are just rewarded with a treat, then he's free to play/explore again).

Good luck!

• maggiemac
  • Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
8 years 8 months ago #38582 by maggiemac
Good idea! As it happens I do only put the harness back on as we approach the village, but I hadnt thought to treat her just on the initial fitting, and I think that is sound advice. I am enjoying her presence in my life more than I can explain, she has more than given me a new lease.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds