• BristolTim
  • BristolTim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #38173 by BristolTim
Sick dog was created by BristolTim
Morning.
Just wondering if anyone has any advice. Yesterday Monty caught and killed a Squirrel, in a desperate attempt to survive the Squirrel managed to bight him in the nose and cut him in several places on the face. Other than being a little bloodied Monty seemed fine and proudly walked back to the car with a more triumphant trot than normal.
A few hours later I popped into the office and when I returned later (2 hours) Monty had had explosive Diarrhea in the house. He has never had an accident in the house before and looked mortified, ever since then he has had to run out side every few hours with the same problem.
We didn't feed him last night as I was under the impression that that was a good idea, Our vet when I called him said the only way the two issues could be related was through the excitement of Killing the Squirrel it could have bought it on, and that I could bring him in for a course of antibiotics but probably not to worry.

Anyone got a better idea what I should feed him (or not) or what to give him.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #38177 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic Re: Sick dog
A 24 hour starve - but leave water down - would be the way to go to rest the gut. After that, cook him up some boiled rice and chicken for a couple of days, then gradually reintroduce his normal food. He will be fine, try not to worry :)

• BristolTim
  • BristolTim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #38179 by BristolTim
Replied by BristolTim on topic Re: Sick dog
That is easy enough. Thanks

More
8 years 7 months ago #38180 by crackadog
Replied by crackadog on topic Re: Sick dog
Yep that is what we have always done too -starve then cooked chicken and rice gradually going back to normal food. Hope he perks up soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BristolTim

More
8 years 7 months ago #38185 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re: Sick dog
It's probably coincidental, but as the others have said, chicken and rice. Don't worry, they get bugs like we do!

More
8 years 7 months ago #38195 by Neil
Replied by Neil on topic Re: Sick dog
We have always starved Finn and then introduced chicken and a few biscuits. Someone once advised cheap dog food of the loaf variety Chappie or something similar

More
8 years 7 months ago #38196 by Brodie
Replied by Brodie on topic Re: Sick dog
I agree with the other comments but would just add to boil the water first, bottle when cool n provide as n when required. Hope Monty recovers quick x

Wigster n San x

More
8 years 7 months ago #38197 by Bodhranlady
Replied by Bodhranlady on topic Re: Sick dog
Not really necessary to boil water unless your source is a spring or well or as described below. UK tap water is regarded as quite safe for wound cleansing for example. The NHS wouldn't allow this if it wasn't safe.

How safe is UK tap water?

UK tap water is among the safest in the world

Independent tests show UK tap water is among the safest in the world. The Drinking Water Inspectorate reported a 99.96% compliance with standards by UK water companies in 2006.

Contamination is rare, usually caused by local pollution, such as old pipes, not the water supply. However, don’t drink or cook with water from a hot-water system or bathroom taps. It usually comes from a storage tank and isn’t as fresh or safe as mains water from cold water taps.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds