Deerhound Jumping 2

More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #34849 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic Re: Deerhound Jumping 2
Hello Trevor,

Thanks for post this very nice pictures and your interesting informations.

Your Milo's jump is very high, 2 yards this are 1.83 meters ( WOW ).
I think your Milo can jump over 2 meters (2.19 yards).

I had built our fence 2 meters and I thought never can jump a hound or a wolf over this fence.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Joerg Yoki.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 2 months ago #34851 by Ironstone
Replied by Ironstone on topic Re: Deerhound Jumping 2
Shelley, you have 7 Deerhounds and they co-exist with Deer. How have you trained the hounds to not chase and attack the Deer?[/quote]

Haaaa! :woohoo: Good one Robb - trained deerhounds indeed! If only eh? More often when one catches sight of prey the entire pack dashes off to investigate and they're deaf to my calls. They don't seem to want to kill anything though, just chase it. That's in the garden at home and what they chase is rabbits and the odd cat. It's this new weekend place that has all the deer. My training strategy so far is to build a tall fence and pray they don't jump it. :blush:

Maybe we need a new thread on deerhound training tips.

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
9 years 2 months ago #34852 by Robb
Replied by Robb on topic Re: Deerhound Jumping 2
I would think that a 6ft fence should deter a Deerhound although with 7 I guess the odds are 7 times greater that one may get over!

I once had a German Shepherd and when she was in season she did clear a 6 foot wooden fence. However she didn't simply jump but rather ran up it and scrampled over the top.

It was your comment about letting Deer jump over the gate to "get out" that I found intriguing and it conjured up a plot of land with Deer and Hounds co-habiting! lol

My dog would chase a fleeing animal although if it stopped or escaped then he would stop. I suspect however if it kept running and he caught up then he would jump up at it and possibly bring it down.

Good luck with that fence Shelley!

Rob B

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds