Show advice please

More
10 years 8 months ago #845 by sheona
sheona replied the topic: Re:Show advice please
hello sheona here, thanks for telling me about this forum. Hopefully when Clunie's tail hair is grown back, it will look fine. hope you do well in ring craft. took maggie and Ghillie to a local dog show and they both did well, Maggie got fourth and Ghillie got second. A friend who is used to showing took ghillie and I took maggie but becuse I let myself get so nervous I let the Maggie down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clunie
  • Clunie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #849 by Clunie
Clunie replied the topic: Re:Show advice please
Hi Sheona
I meant to ask in the other posting that I put up, what show Ghillie and Maggie were entered into?
Vicky
Ps Clunie has just stolen some french bread that Jamie was eating! (unlike her mother she's not a fussy eater!

More
10 years 8 months ago #854 by Terry
Terry replied the topic: Re:Show advice please
Hallo, Ardnish,

Your thoughts were interesting. I know that Bill was into the coursing quite heavily and so bred more toward that. My Alice, Doxhope Lady of Lewis is a wee lass. She stands just 28 inches aat the shoulder, right at the bottom of the standard. This has been a real problem at shows as the judges tend to go for size, all other things being even. One judge even told me that if she had been a bit bigger he'd have given it to her, she was resereve bitch. Her background is Ardkinglas, Kilbourne, and Shenval. Tess, Leoch Falla JC, stands a bit taller, maybe an inch or more. Again she is from coursing stock. Her background includes Arkinglas, Kilbourne, Rohanis, and Coronach. One of her grandsires was Coronach Penny's Chieftan. However, we seem to be in the minnority, no pun intended, when it comes to size, as it seems that the deerhounds being bred here are getting larger. I've seen some males that were as big as Wolfhounds.

Alice turns her nose up at plastic, but if it's live she's gone. Tess on the other hand has a fierce prey drive and lure courses as well going after live things. Now ai guess my point is aabout the size related to pulling down prey. In Bell's The Scottish Deerhound there references too bitches of 26 and 27 inches tall and males from 26 to 31 inches. With that in mind to me it does seem that size is on the rise, aat least here. I've heard of smaller dogs pulling deer down. And my girls are fast and nimble able to make tight turns. Any way, I'm sure that you've much more experience than myself and I curious as to your thoughts along those lines.

Terry

More
10 years 8 months ago #855 by Terry
Here's Tess coursing.
Attachments:

More
10 years 8 months ago #856 by Terry
Well, We'll try again.
Attachments:

More
10 years 8 months ago #857 by Terry
And another.
Attachments:

More
10 years 8 months ago #860 by sheona
hi vicky, they are just the local shows, Dornoch, Blackisle, caithness, Dingwall, i was hopeing to go to the moy game fair, but did not get my shifts sorted out in time, that is on this weekend. I hope to do more next year. and go back to ring craft.. I Think Clunies apatite is more like his dads. all though touch wood maggie is greatly improved
sheona..

• Clunie
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #869 by Clunie
Hi Sheona
You've been busy with the dog shows!
We were thinking of taking Clunie to one in Arbroath in September, and hopefully to as many other companion dog shows as well as 'proper' breed shows as possible, so that she can get used to it all. I have found a ringcraft class in Perth which I hope to go to, as I could stay at my mum's.
I have found one very cute and surprising habit of Clunie's - she loves to retrieve sticks- complete with great big leaps and bounds! Fynn just watches her as if she's daft and poor Cally tries to race her- but her legs are too short!!
Vicky

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #870 by Ardneish
Ardneish replied the topic: Re:Show advice please
Terry wrote:

And another.

Knock out photos! its the way of seeing just how the deerhound should be constructed , and what lovely type.

I agree with regard to the size, however so many people use the word deerhounds have got big

Deerhounds have got in my view far too tall, because of this they loose angulation, substance, spring of rib, good wide rear end. which I think is different to the word big!

If you weighed a tall narrow slab sided deerhound , and then weighed a deerhound 30 inchs etc I would not be surprised to find them the same weight or the not so tall one weighing in more

I hope this makes sense, I also have Bells book and I totally agree with you , one only has to look at the picture of tragic of ross one of my all time favourites

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #871 by Ardneish
I think its great you are taking them to the smaller fun shows first
its a great training ground and often more fun for all than the larger shows

But at some stage when you and the hounds feel confident , get in the big ring Deerhounds need new people with the right motivation to take the breed forward when us older lot kick of the planet

• Clunie
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #876 by Clunie
Thanks Betina

Glad taht I'm doing the correct thing by taking her to the smaller shows firdt. It's something that i have never been involved in before and obviously neither has Clunie. I know how nervous I was last Saturday in the puppy pedigree class and I'm sure that also transmitted to Clunie. After her tail accident I think taht she is very unsure of stangers touching her and understandibly too - nut especially females as it was one of the female vets she saw most often and it was she who did the amputation. Needless to say it was a female judge on Saturday. Hopefully a lot of work, patience and classes will sort her out...time will tell.
Vicky

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #878 by Ardneish
Wise girl Vicki

Tail accidents are very common in Sighthound breeds so please do not let that totally loose your confidence

As a judge I for one would make allowances and I am sure any other judge worth their salt would do the same.

She is obviously very loved and the deerhound foundation girl to you, who knows what will happen in the future , all I know is this amazing breed needs people like you to carry it forward into the future so stick at it, or you will have me to answer too! says me smiling

xx

More
10 years 8 months ago #880 by sheona
hi vicky, maggie is a bit shy as well when it comes to showing. So some one suggested to me that if when ever someone came to the house or came to speek to her, I should get them to touch her in the same way a judge would do. She would then get used to the feel of it and relax. and for maggie i think that helped......sheona (Get both men and women to do it) as a lady i new had real problems with male judges and her dog.

• Clunie
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
10 years 8 months ago #882 by Clunie
Thanks for all the good advice from you both. I'll just have to put it into practice.
If only this rain would stop! Allan has informed me that at least my car can swim!
I've got 3 dogs here who are less than impressed at the idea that they should go out in the garden today!
One cat has gone out through the window, but I think thatshe'll be back soon!!
Vicky

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 6 months ago #1972 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Show advice please
Hi Clunie - I don't know much, well anything really, about lines but just wanted to say what a lovely looking deerhound you have both with a whole and half a tail - such a pretty face

More
10 years 6 months ago #2034 by verenav
verenav replied the topic: Re:Show advice please
I also find Clunie very beautiful - love those " functional hounds " anyways , build so that they can still do the job . IMO they do loose a lot when bred only for success in the showring , seemingly not only physically .

Verena , loving all of her " mixed bag " of dhs , some more " functional " than the others

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.705 seconds