Trimming Ears

• happyhounds
  • happyhounds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 11 months ago #244 by happyhounds
happyhounds created the topic: Trimming Ears
Does anyone have any tips for trimming ears. I know about using a rubber glove and it helps a bit, but Flower is not impressed and I have bad arthritis in my fingers :( however I keep trying and get a tiny bit off at a time. Just thought there may be another quicker way to do it. Also, do you strip the insides :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #248 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
Just wondering whether it might help if they are damp, the hairs might be easier to grip. Mine doesn't like it, but I find I don't need to do it that often, just a quick whizz over before a show. Or it might be easier to get someone else to do it for you whilst you keep the dog occupied!! I never touch the inside of the ears, as they are there to keep the germs at bay

More
10 years 11 months ago #252 by Brollachan
Brollachan replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
Leave the inside hairs, they are there for a reason. I can't help with plucking as I just do it bare handed. My Guys aren't that fond of it either but they do get used to it, to a point :) And give plenty of ear rubs in between

More
10 years 11 months ago #260 by Lurch8252
Just another thought, I've just been whipping out some stray hairs myself, from the dog, not me!! If you fold the ear under, the longer ones that need pulling out, stick out, that might help, they do tend to slide out with out much effort, but I know with arthritis (my Mum has it) the grip isn't there. I hope I have helped, I do the same as Brollachan, bare handed.

More
10 years 10 months ago #312 by wallace
wallace replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
After you have taken the hound for a run it is much easier to strip the hair from the ears then. I also find it hard with arthritis, but barehanded easier than rubber glove.

More
10 years 10 months ago #336 by sally
sally replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
I agree with Wallace. It is easier to do once the hound has had a run and is warmed up.
I do it bare-handed and roll the ear around my finger so the fine grey hairs stand out and pluck using finger and thumb. I don't bath my dogs either, unless they have been rolling in something unsavoury (we live on a farm). They only get a bath once a year, two weeks before Crufts. Regular grooming keeps their coats in just the right condition.

More
10 years 10 months ago #372 by Brollachan
Brollachan replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
Sally what do you do then for regular grooming? Our dogs don't get that dirty but they get a grubby frrl to the coat which is probably from us patting them too much :) How do you keep the coat feeling clean?

More
10 years 10 months ago #381 by sally
sally replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
Hi Brollachan, I use a Mason & Pearson (human) brush to groom the dogs. It is quite expensive but it does a really good job and the dogs don't mind being brushed with it:) . A couple of the older girls get a fairly dense undercoat and to remove that I use a Coat King. You have to be careful when using it though because it can strip out the top coat if you go over the same area too many times. In my experience it is the undercoat or dead hair that makes the coat feel grubby. Sally

More
10 years 9 months ago #518 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
I trimmed my dogs ears once and found that it was much easier than I had thought it would be. I just did a little at a time holding his ear between my fingers in my left hand and plucking just a few hairs at a time with my finger and thumb of my right hand. I did it several times a day for about a week and he didn't seem to mind much. I've not done it much since as I don't show him now.

He loves to lie down in a shallow stream and I find that this keeps him clean and I rarely bathe him. Several vets have told me that its best not to bath a dog if you can help it.

I find that a normal plastic comb purchased from the chemist is best for grooming him to get out the unwanted hairs that accumulate and also a cheap human bristle brush to finish off, he hates the metal dog combs and pin brushes that they sell in a pet shop.

Rob B

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #520 by Ardneish
Ardneish replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
I handstrip a lot of terriers/ gundogs and have done for years I can trim out to show standard and have handstripped ticket winning terriers along with Champion Dandie Dinmonts

Now

Chalk, buy loose chalk at the shows dip you finger and thumb into the chalk
lightly chalk the hair on the top repeat top of ear

Grip the ear thumb with left hand if right handed apply pressure from thumb to ensure skin is taught ( so you do not pull the skin and hurt them)

with the right hand pull up and I mean up a few strands of hair , now place these between your finger and thumb and with a sharp action ( from the wrist) SNAP DOWN ensuring you have the skin taught with your left hand

Hope this makes sense, its so much easier to show people

ok of to feed puppies again!

• Teratyke
  • Is one ever enough?
More
10 years 7 months ago #1401 by Teratyke
Teratyke replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
I filmed Elise trimming the dogs ears.
www.scottish-deerhound.co...64-ear-grooming
It might help give you an idea how we go about the process.

More
10 years 7 months ago #1404 by Lurch8252
That was quick Elise! and you do yours 'backwards', if it works why not, I do mine in the direction of the hairs growth, I'll try your method later on. Your dogs also stand still!! Amazing, I end up with ear in hand being stretched as dog tries to walk away!!

More
10 years 7 months ago #1419 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re:Trimming Ears
Hadn't realised that I used a 'backwards' approach. It was the late Caroline Dowsett (Terichline) who showed me, as I think after watching our hounds at our first few shows, she was annoyed at their lack of ear attention!

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.962 seconds