Pam and the Spider.....

• Jacobite
  • Jacobite's Avatar Topic Author
  • Limit Boarder
  • Limit Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago #37087 by Jacobite
Jacobite created the topic: Pam and the Spider.....
Pam and the Spider.....
Here in Australia we have a spider called a Huntsman, about 2 inches across, like a mini Tarantula.
We just saw one in our kitchen, but then it wandered off, as they do...
5 minutes later I am helping Pam to pluck Islay's ears and I see the Huntsman sitting on Pam's shoulder.....
All ended well as I throw the Huntsman outside ( no I did not kill it..)...... but it did get Pam's attention for a while.....
Not the same one, but the pic shows how big they get.....

Dave

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elise

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #37095 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Re: Pam and the Spider.....
Pam is very brave :dry: I've got a kid attending university in Australia (which is the other side of the world for us here in Canada) and he regularly sends us photos of astonishing critters. Huntsman spiders in the residence showers, and another kind of spider, even larger, that had its long legs draped over both the front windshield and the passenger window of his car! He tossed his shoe at that one and it still scurried off unharmed! :blink: Must remember to pack a sturdy fly swatter when I come over for his graduation in December :laugh: BTW Dave are these spiders dangerous to one's health? Do the deerhounds get spider bites?

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
8 years 3 months ago #37097 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re: Pam and the Spider.....
Hello,

Shelley, I have read the bite is not toxic.

Here is link to more informations about the Huntsman spider.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

• Jacobite
  • Jacobite's Avatar Topic Author
  • Limit Boarder
  • Limit Boarder
More
8 years 3 months ago #37100 by Jacobite
Jacobite replied the topic: Re: Pam and the Spider.....
Neither Pam or I have ever been bitten by one and I have never heard of any-one else, they are not aggressive and stay still for days in the same position, usually near the top of a wall. If they do bite/sting it does inject some toxin but only enough to cause a little inflamation and is not dangerous... hurts like hell, apparently.

Dave

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

More
8 years 1 month ago #37720 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re: Pam and the Spider.....
OMG!!! I have just read this and nearly had a panic attack. Poor Pam, I think I would have had a coronary if it were on my shoulder !!!

When I first went to Australia I was in fear of creepy crawlies and my Dad had to calm me down over these spiders. I also went out on a boat to Rottnest Island and we had to get out of the boat and swim to the Island, it only dawned on me that Seals live there and they are the diet of Great Whites.......I still shudder when I think of that, especially reading that someone was killed by one recently there. Thankfully back home in England we don't have nasties like that

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.340 seconds