• Joerg Yoki
  • Joerg Yoki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 10 months ago #31669 by Joerg Yoki
Dingo was created by Joerg Yoki
Hello,

I have open a thread for the discussions over the Dingoes.

The first information is the copy from the interesting message over the Dingo history from Aisha.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

Aisha wrote: Yes Dingoes were one of the very first Domestocated Dogs, but we still have some dingos running in the wild like i said before. The ONLY place you will see Pure wild Dingoes is Fraser Island, there are no Pure Dingoes anymore on teh Australian Mainland anymore, you will however MAYBE sometimes see Crossbred Dingoes, but even that is very rare to see. I have learnt what i know about the Dingoes mainly at school, so some of my information maybe wrong.
I know we have got a good Programme at Healesville Sanctuary involing Dingoes and its going very well.
Famous or infamous? Villain or victim? Controversy has surrounded the Dingo in Australia but new research suggests that this iconic predator could be an ecological saviour and help to restore the natural order of the Australian bush.

Related to the Indian Wolf, the Dingo has become genetically distinct through isolation after its arrival on the Australian mainland around 5,000 years ago.

Unlike domestic dogs, dingoes only breed once a year. Social hierarchy within a dingo pack dictates that only the leaders breed. All members of the pack help to rear the pups.

Instead of barking, dingoes howl to let neighbouring dingoes know where their territorial boundaries are. In a dingo chorus each dingo howls at a different frequency and pattern. This tells other dingoes who and how many are in the pack.

One of the greatest threats to the dingo is interbreeding with domestic and wild dogs.

The Dingo was listed as a threatened species in Victoria in 2008, raising its status from an often perceived vermin to a native Australian - a long and hard won battle for one of the few top order predators left in the Australian environment.

Did You Know?
•DNA, legend and archaeological evidence now tell us that the Dingo arrived in Australia by boat with South Asian seafarers around 5,000 years ago, not with Aborigines by land bridge 40,000 years ago.
•Dingoes are naturally shy with a wild and independent nature, behaving more like cats than domestic dogs.
•Dingoes are extremely flexible and are great escape artists.
•Not all dingoes are ginger-yellow. Some are white or black and tan.

******Coppied From www.zoo.org.au/Healesvill...als/Dingo******
I am interested to know more about your Wolves tho?

The following user(s) said Thank You: wallace, Aisha

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Joerg Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 10 months ago #31681 by Joerg Yoki
Replied by Joerg Yoki on topic Re: Dingo
Hello,

This is a postcard with Dingo and Dingo stamp of Australia from my stamp collection.

Best regards
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aisha

More
9 years 10 months ago #31773 by Kaycee
Replied by Kaycee on topic Re: Dingo
Hi I lurk here mainly, but have been on this list for a while. Aisha, Dingos will no longer be allowed to run free on Fraser Island it seems.I cant remember but they are to be restricted there in some way in the future. In fact their safe refuge on Fraser Island will probably go, possibly in favor of tourism.
Cheers KathyCG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aisha

• Joerg Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 10 months ago #31819 by Joerg Yoki
Thanks Kaycee for your informations.

Is Fraser Island the last territory for the Dingoes in wildness in Australia?

Best regards

• Joerg Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 10 months ago #31857 by Joerg Yoki
Hello,

I have found in the internet a card with the dingo-distribution in Australia.

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fil...ion-Fleming.png

Best regards

• Laird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #31879 by Laird
Replied by Laird on topic Re: Dingo
That area is probably quite correct, however some of the dingo's have been mixed with dogs that have gone wild. Fraser Island dingo's have no mix in their gene pool.

Alpine regions of Southern New Sout Wales and Northern Victoria have an Alpine Dingo which is whiter in colour, they are scattered over a large area and are rare. National Parks have an eradication policy in the Alpine areas for any dingo that shows that they may be mixed.

There are at least two 'kennels' in Victoria were they are breeding Dingo's with the hope of releasing them back into area's in which they no longer appear. Dingo's are not protected in Australia and there is possibly in some States still a bounty on them. They are not my forte, so some one may know more on their status.

Kenn

More
9 years 10 months ago #32013 by Aisha
Replied by Aisha on topic Re: Dingo

Hi I lurk here mainly, but have been on this list for a while. Aisha, Dingos will no longer be allowed to run free on Fraser Island it seems.I cant remember but they are to be restricted there in some way in the future. In fact their safe refuge on Fraser Island will probably go, possibly in favor of tourism.
Cheers KathyCG

How long has that been decided? i thort they were allowed to stay there as they had decided that tourists were no longer allowed to visit Frazer Island? thats the last thing i heard about!
I hope that they let the Dingoes stay nd run wild as they are fantastic dogs, they were there first they should be allowed to stay!!! well thats the way i see it!!!

Laird wrote: That area is probably quite correct, however some of the dingo's have been mixed with dogs that have gone wild. Fraser Island dingo's have no mix in their gene pool.
Alpine regions of Southern New Sout Wales and Northern Victoria have an Alpine Dingo which is whiter in colour, they are scattered over a large area and are rare. National Parks have an eradication policy in the Alpine areas for any dingo that shows that they may be mixed.

There are at least two 'kennels' in Victoria were they are breeding Dingo's with the hope of releasing them back into area's in which they no longer appear. Dingo's are not protected in Australia and there is possibly in some States still a bounty on them. They are not my forte, so some one may know more on their status.

Kenn

Yes that is very true, they are completly Pure as no dogs are allowed onto fraser island making them the most pure dingo around.
I know of one special sactuary but didnt know that there were 2.
They need to protect the Dingo as it will end up quite endangered if they keep killing them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds