UK Wolf conservation reading

More
8 years 10 months ago #26130 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Hello Rob,

Thanks for your informations.

I think a Deerhound has not great respect for the grey wolves or?

In the USA was formerly, some Deerhounds, as guard dog for the flocks in occupation and
defend the flocks for timber wolves.

I hope you can send more informations over Deerhound Doodle and the wolves of Mainstone in future.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 10 months ago #26132 by verenav
verenav replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Where did you read/hear that ? I never heard of deerhounds being used as flock guardians ; only , that they were brought here originally for hunting , esp. coyote .

More
8 years 10 months ago #26133 by Joerg Yoki
verenav wrote:

Where did you read/hear that ? I never heard of deerhounds being used as flock guardians ; only , that they were brought here originally for hunting , esp. coyote .

Hello Verena,

Many thanks for your question.

Here one quote over hunting from wolves with Deerhounds in the USA.

Quote/link: www.deerhound.org/history.shtml

Quote:
" The hunting of antlered game with dogs is not permitted in the United States, but the Deerhound has been used very successfully on wolves , coyotes, and rabbits, and is keen to match his speed with anything that runs."

I have more read over this one another place, sorry I can not find this now.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26136 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
It's amazing how dogs that have never met a fox before take an instant dislike to them at the first opportunity.. :S ..may be the same with wolves.. :blink:

More
8 years 10 months ago #26137 by verenav
Thanks for the link Joerg -that must have been a long time ago that they hunted wolve and " antlered game " with deerhounds -has been outlawed for decades basically .
Guard dogs do not hunt , they defend ; farmers use several ancient , beautiful breeds here to protect their flocks here - Akbash , Kangal and similar .

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26138 by hairybeasty
Sighthounds will chase anything they are allowed to...even plastic bags on the end of a lure-coursing machines. :pinch: ..so why not wolves? Surely if shepherds of yesteryear wanted to eliminate the threat from wolves,they would use a hound that was capable of catching and killing one quickly...not some slow plod of a dog that would be in the next county chasing it..thus allowing Mr Wolf's friends to finish the job while dog was away? :whistle:
There are not many breeds of dog fast enough and big enough for the job.. dh:)

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26139 by hairybeasty
Although saying that the Kangal looks as if it would have the front to face down a wolf...just not sure how it would cope with a hit and run raid...(thanks for the link Verena..beautiful dogs..you learn something new each day..thanks) :)
I dont mean to be crabby but why shouldnt a D/H take a wolf..Wolfhounds did,and they are not much different.. :blink:

More
8 years 10 months ago #26141 by verenav
With the flock guardians out here in the mountains it is not so much for killing the predators , rather , keeping them away from the flock is the idea - huge areas they graze on , very steep , very rough ground and very dense vegetation/forests usually , not so good for sighthounds - to run something down I mean , this is , why my girls have all the fun of chasing and basically never get anything bigger . We have some wolves ( who tend to be very shy and elusive these days ) , some bear ( mostly vegetarians though ) and , not to forget , cougar ( very powerful and stealthy ) and then , the most common and not to be underestimated , coyote ( though they do not usually kill larger prey , they do make tem nervous , disturb the flocks ) . Kangal and Akbash and the likes do mean business , I would never dare to go on their land uninvited by the owners - they can guard a whole mountainside and will do so totally on their own , no directions/input needed from us humans ; fascinating and formidable and also very ancient breeds .
I once met a pack of 5 wolves , rather , saw them right in front of me from my car - I would not want my girls getting too close to them . What I read up on borzoi , wolf hunting was a nasty affair ( at least in Russia ) , not at all " fair " , more for the " entertainment " of the onlookers than a test of skill or anything similar . I have no clue , how wolfhunts in England/Scotland/Ireland went about ....
Also , they use Kangal in some African countries these days to keep their flocks save from cheetah - it is more bark and posture than actual aggression , let alone fight who would want their precious guardians injured anyways ? ) .
At the shelter we had a couple of Kangals in boarding last year , when all the people were evacuated because of bushfires ;what dogs ...!!! We also do get some Akbash in every so often and I knew a breeder of them , who also had big flocks of sheep for them to guard on huge areas of bush .

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #26142 by Joerg Yoki
Hello Verena,

Thanks for your interesting information over the flock guardians.

I´m a member in a German club for wolves protection.
We have in East-Saxony ca. 100 wolves in the wildness.
I have a information, that 5 wolf-packs have pupps this year- I´m very happy over this.

But we also help the farmers by livestock protection.

Here is a link to a site over livestock guardian dog(sorry in German, but with many pictures)
Link: www.gzsdw.de/files/HSHEndversionfertig.pdf

The most livestock guardian dog in Saxony is the Great Pyrenees.

Regards
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by Joerg Yoki.

More
8 years 10 months ago #26146 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Hi. I had never heard of Kangals so had to loook them up - big beasties, but look well up to the job. The champion one shown on the wikipedia site is a very handsome chap. The Akbash too looks pretty formidable. Interesting thread!

• houndy
  • houndy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26153 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
hairybeasty wrote:

Although saying that the Kangal looks as if it would have the front to face down a wolf...just not sure how it would cope with a hit and run raid...(thanks for the link Verena..beautiful dogs..you learn something new each day..thanks) :)
I dont mean to be crabby but why shouldnt a D/H take a wolf..Wolfhounds did,and they are not much different.. :blink:

The Borzoi was bred to take down wolves by grabbing them by the necks - humans then killed them. I dont think that Deerhounds would have the strength but thats just my opinion

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26155 by hairybeasty
I have heard of Deerhounds that used to take Foxes on a regular basis(pre-ban) ;)

More
8 years 10 months ago #26159 by farnorth
farnorth replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
hairybeasty wrote:

I have heard of Deerhounds that used to take Foxes on a regular basis(pre-ban) ;)

Yes me to pre-ban of course

More
8 years 10 months ago #26160 by chook
chook replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
www.boardogs.com/Boardogs_Deerhounds1.htm

Deerhounds have been used on many game species such as Deer, Hare, Fox, Wolf, Gazelle, Antelope and Coyote. They are still used in some parts of Africa by farmers for hunting gazelle, antelope and jackal. They are used in Britain for Fox, Hare and Rabbit and some Deerhounds are used to hunt Coyote and Rabbits in Canada and America. In Australia they are mainly used for Fox, Hare, Rabbit, Pig and Dingo.

Jane

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26161 by hairybeasty
Thanks Jane..that is a great link..whether or not you agree or disagree with hunting of live prey...that certainly is an eye-opener as regards the origins and uses of this great breed..

More
8 years 10 months ago #26162 by Joerg Yoki
Hello Jane,

Thanks for the link to this interesting site.

Regards

More
8 years 10 months ago #26165 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
farnorth wrote:

hairybeasty wrote:

Yes me to pre-ban of course

When I lived at Stafford I knew of someone who used to use his Deerhound to hunt and kill foxes for local farmers. That was also before the ban.

Rob B

More
8 years 10 months ago #26166 by Brollachan
Brollachan replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
houndy wrote:
The Borzoi was bred to take down wolves by grabbing them by the necks - humans then killed them. I dont think that Deerhounds would have the strength but thats just my opinion[/quote]
I would have thought that the Deerhound would have similar if not more strength than a Borzoi. They are finer boned than a Deerhound :huh:

• houndy
  • houndy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26168 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Brollachan wrote:

houndy wrote:
The Borzoi was bred to take down wolves by grabbing them by the necks - humans then killed them. I dont think that Deerhounds would have the strength but thats just my opinion

I would have thought that the Deerhound would have similar if not more strength than a Borzoi. They are finer boned than a Deerhound :huh:[/quote]

As soon as I wrote that I thought the same thing :ohmy: Maybe it depends on the amount of hounds involved in the hunt?

More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #26169 by chook
chook replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
The borzoi was used in packs of at least 2, they was trained to take
the wolf down, then hold it untill the hunters came on horse back.

There is still a kind of sport go's on today - except pet wolves are used
and 3 borzois are slipped on to the wolf, there is no killing, its a bit
like us doing a lure, but they use another animal.

If i can ever get to the vids - will put them up.

Dont watch if you dont like this kind of sport, the wolf dosent get killed
but unfortunaly it is bated.

Jane
Last Edit: 8 years 10 months ago by chook.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.549 seconds