UK Wolf conservation reading

More
9 years 1 month ago #22846 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Hello

and the last piece over wolves for today.

Phone card of Palestine with Grey Wolf

Currency: 18 Dollar

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago #22951 by Joerg Yoki
Hello,

I found news over the history from the wolves in Wales by the UK Wolf conservation.

Link: www.ukwolf.org/news/79/we...lqte6ochehrg4t4

"Welsh willow wolf - a living sculpture

A living sculpture of a wolf has been planted in Coed y Bleiddiau, a location whose name translates as "Forest of Wolves". Locals say it's the area in which the last wolf was killed in Wales, so the planting of willows in the form of a wolf is a fitting monument."

Link for more information:
news.bbc.co.uk/local/nort...000/8599476.stm

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki

• houndy
  • houndy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #22983 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Thanks for that link Jeorg - very interesting especially as I live in Wales :)

More
9 years 1 month ago #22984 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
I can't vouch for the accuracy of this. I was once looking at a property at Wolfcastle I think it was, near Pembroke and was told by some locals that the last wolf in the UK was shot there.

Rob B

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #22986 by houndy
Yes Robb - Wolfscastle is near to Pembroke (where I live) but is really closer to Fishguard. The thing that has confused me is the welsh for wolfscastle is 'altraafon' (SP!) so it is not the same as the welsh village were the last wolf was allegedly shot

More
9 years 6 days ago #24063 by Joerg Yoki
Hello,

A plan for return from the Grey Wolves to the Scottish Highlands.

Link to the article: news.suite101.com/article...ghlands-a238808

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 days ago #24069 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Sorry but what a silly idea,just gives the Gamekeepers something else to shoot,apart from foxes, buzzards,wildcats,red kites,and deer. Wolves wouldnt last 10 years unless they were in enclosures. ;)

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 days ago #24074 by houndy
mmm...I disagree Dr Grumpy - I watched the documentary about this and felt that it was a good idea. People often have a completely wrong view of wolves and why would gamekeepers want to shoot them? It says that no-one was going to be allowed into the estate so it's not as if they were being kept to be killed unlike grouse for example

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 days ago #24082 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Gamekeepers,or a least some of them,shoot almost anything that isn't game,including cats,crows,buzzards,kites,foxes,wildcats,jays,pigeons,hooded crows,magpies,stoats,weasels,mink,and wolves would make a change...all creatures that pose a threat to pheasants,their eggs or food source is killed...wolves would just be another casualty.
If in this case the release site was enclosed there would be no problem... :)

More
9 years 6 days ago #24083 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Re:UK Wolf conservation reading
Ever notice how deerhounds, when they prick their ears, look like wolves? Or werewolves even moreso? That's how I describe deerhounds to people when they ask what my dogs resemble. I say werewolves and they seem quite satisfied, as though it's a natural thing to own a pack of werewolves! :blink:

Seems we're very conflicted about the place of wolves in our world. They're always relocating wolf packs from this place to that in North America, trying to get them reestablished here or thinned out there. Then there are the culls in the north, where wolves are shot from airplanes because they're eating too many cariboo. That creates a lot of upset. And there's the usual complaint that ranchers hate them because they kill cattle. That is unless it's my own dad who has wolves passing through his ranch and no problems at all with them hunting his cattle. He told me about a magnificent lone black wolf he saw last year emerging from the trees above the house. Gorgeous.

Here's a closeup I took of Anna a couple of weeks ago, that has something of the wolf in it I think - if only she didn't look so tired from caring for her pups.

Ironstone Deerhounds
Attachments:

More
9 years 6 days ago #24084 by Robb
I've read the article, thanks for that Joerg, and it seems that its the ramblers association that are raising the most objections. I have great sympathy with people wanting walking access to the countryside however sometimes they can be a real pain in the ars*

I think it's a terrible reflection on modern society when objections are raised to re-introducing animals that we have killed off that were here long before humans. If some people had there way there would be no species in this country other than humans. It makes me really mad that even on a private estate people try to stop Wolves being introduced. I remember another try at introducing Wolves on an un-inhabitated Island 10 miles from the coast that was stopped in case they swam to the shore.

Throw them all these objectors to the Wolves I say.

:angry:

Rob B

More
9 years 6 days ago #24087 by Robb
Ironstone wrote:

Ever notice how deerhounds, when they prick their ears, look like wolves? Or werewolves even moreso? That's how I describe deerhounds to people when they ask what my dogs resemble. I say werewolves and they seem quite satisfied, as though it's a natural thing to own a pack of werewolves! :blink:

I agree, Ben often has a wolf-like look to me and several people have also commented "What a nice Wolf" or "I thought that was a Wolf coming through the trees"

Rob B

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 days ago #24104 by houndy
Lots of people have told me that Murray looks like a wolf. I was taking them for a walk one day and there were kids throwing stones - I asked them to stop and got a lot of verbal from them. One of the kids asked 'what was the big dog' so I told him that Murray was a wolf and he ran off crying :blush:

More
9 years 1 day ago #24260 by Joerg Yoki
Hello,

By the UK Wolf Conservation Trust in Reading are "Open Days" on Monday 31st May and Monday 30th August 11am - 5pm.

More informations over the "Open Days" can you find under: www.ukwolf.org/uk-wolf/95...lqte6ochehrg4t4

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

More
8 years 10 months ago #25745 by Joerg Yoki
Hello,

The UK Wolf Conservation Trust in Reading also celebrating World Animal Day on the 3rd October 2010, on which the UKWCT is also open to visitors.

Link: www.ukwolf.org/uk-wolf/95...lqte6ochehrg4t4

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26037 by houndy
article in this months 'Dogs Today' mag about a wolf conservation place in Shropshire - they also have a deerhound called Doodle dh:)

More
8 years 10 months ago #26043 by Joerg Yoki
Hello houndy,

Thanks for your new informations.
What is task from Deerhound Doodle in the wolf conservation place in Gwyrchwynau?

Regards
Joerg and Yoki

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26058 by houndy
Hi Joerg - I think Doodle is Tony's pet deerhound :) I would love to do the wolf distance learning course but will have to save up first :laugh: I think it is near to our Robb on here

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 10 months ago #26059 by houndy
Hi Joerg - I think Doodle is Tony's pet deerhound :) I would love to do the wolf distance learning course but will have to save up first :laugh: I think it is near to our Robb on here

More
8 years 10 months ago #26063 by Robb
I've found a reference to the place on Google, it's at Mainstone near Bishops castle in South Shropshire. it's about a 45 mile drive via slow countty roads so is aboutan hour and a quarter from me. Looks very interesting, will have to research further. Thanks for posting the info Trisha.

Rob B

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.722 seconds