• Big Dog Lover
  • Big Dog Lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
1 year 1 week ago #43615 by Big Dog Lover
Big Dog Lover created the topic: Liver Shunt Testing
Hello again,
I've not been on here for an awful long time as I lost my log in details and then forgot about you all :( sorry. I'm back again today to ask some advice please. We are buying a deerhound pup and wondered if liver shunt testing of the pups is the norm? We thought it was put the lady we are buying off said the vet said it wasn't necessary as the pups are in good health and gaining weight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 1 week ago #43616 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Liver Shunt Testing
Hmmmmm.... it isn't compulsory to test for liver shunt, however both the Kennel Club and Deerhound Club very strongly recommend it.
Liver shunt varies in severity. Failure to thrive is a very obvious symptom of a puppy badly affected, however it may take several months for a dog with a mild case to show visible signs of illness.
It's just a blood test. Although now thankfully quite uncommon, it's such a horrible condition with the toxins in the blood gradually poisoning the poor dog from the inside, personally, for my own peace of mind I'd insist on my puppy being tested before I took it home.
Sue
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big Dog Lover

More
1 year 1 week ago #43617 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: Liver Shunt Testing
I'm afraid I wouldn't touch an untested pup with a bargepole. They don't always 'fail to thrive' and both the vet and the breeder should know that. Insist on a test. How would you feel if your pup slowly becomes seriously ill and dies. Insurance probably wouldn't cover anything either as it would be classed as 'pre-existing'. The condition is not that uncommon.

I would be thinking about a more experienced breeder.

More
1 year 1 week ago #43618 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Liver Shunt Testing
I would be very suspicious about the breeders refusal to get the pups tested for liver shunt. Don't risk it. You could find another breeder and another pup or get her to agree to have her pups tested.

Think about the heartbreak involved if the pup does become ill.

• Big Dog Lover
  • Big Dog Lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
1 year 1 week ago #43619 by Big Dog Lover
Big Dog Lover replied the topic: Liver Shunt Testing
Thank you all for the replies. I've asked for the pup to be tested which the breeder is sorting out. Now we are just waiting for the results and hopefully we will be able to collect him soon.

More
1 year 1 week ago #43620 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: Liver Shunt Testing
Do make sure that you get the actual paper with the lab results for the test along with the pedigree, registration, vaccination cert, microchip details, and diet sheet when you collect your puppy.

More
1 year 1 week ago #43621 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: Liver Shunt Testing
I would expect the test result to identify the pup with its chip number..!!

Wigster n San x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.619 seconds