Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: me, my dog and the local pheasants.

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 1 year 1 month ago #43387

Hello again friends, I was out walking this afternoon, theres a small holt quite close to my house which sits on the edge of around 2000 acres or totally arable land, a track has been mowed through the wood but it has created a rough walkway full of stubbly bramble making it difficult for dogs to walk through, so I unclipped my deerhound so she could find her own footing. She hated it, and quickly went to the outside of the wood (A ploughed field runs along side). She kept trying to get back to my side but couldnt because of the rough ground, as she tried she "put up" one male pheasant. The bird was closer to me than her, she didnt give chase ,she really wasnt interested in it, only how to get back closer to me. At the end of the wood we joined up again and I put her straight back on the lead . We continued our walk-my dog on her lead.
As we neared home, the landowner in his landrover raced towards me , one hand on his handbrake , one on the drivers door, my God I thought what has happened, whats wrong?
I`m still smarting, he said "Your dog has been worrying my pheasants! I saw her come bounding out of the wood , if my game keeper sees her off lead he`ll shoot her!"
Shoot my Aoife? Over my dead body!!!
So I dont argue when I`m not sure of my legal rights.
So I ask you , heres how the law appears to stand, if the bird is free and not in a pen, it is deemed wild and therefore its only the same as if she" put up" a pidgeon.
However , pheasants aren`t indigenous to the uk (Asian I believe) and are classed as game. Which I know pheasant is game, I`m not completely daft.
I could do with a lawyer. Right now I could do with a large gin I wont have either but every ones input will make me feel better I think-err hope, lol.
  • maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
The administrator has disabled public write access.

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 1 year 4 weeks ago #43391

Landowners are putting bred pheasant on there land for hunting purposes, those births are not wild and have difficult to find a place to stay, so when the are hunted by dogs, the go living on a neighbours land. And are not possible for hunting by the first owner.
Bred pheasant hunting is like shooting images.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
The following user(s) said Thank You: maggiemac

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 1 year 4 weeks ago #43393

I'd walk elsewhere for a while until his precious birds are all dead/shot. I think he may be within his rights to shoot is she is near them and he has given you a warning. Very unfair especially if she was uninterested in them but not worth the risk.
  • WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 2 weeks ago #43418

The law is that a pheasant is not livestock so no laws have been broken. The season is up to the 1st February.

As for shooting, it would go to court and you would win but without your dog.

You cannot win. I have the same issue where I am. We change our walking habits until Feb.
  • Fuzzball
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 2 weeks ago #43419

Thank you for your input. I think the landowner was just "flexing " his muscles, scaring old ladies seems to be sport for some! Those pheasants seem to be spending more and more time at my bird table , does that now mean they are mine?
Dont they say "Possession is nine tenths of the law"?
The dozy deerhound lets them eat their fill, she also ignores the piles of moving earth as Mr Mole ruins the lawn, moles who live on Mr landowners land, indigenous to his land, bet he doesnt want them back!
  • maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 2 weeks ago #43420

Good luck.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 2 weeks ago #43422

Thanks Lieve, I`ll need it.
  • maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 2 weeks ago #43423

maggiemac wrote:
Thank you for your input. I think the landowner was just "flexing " his muscles, scaring old ladies seems to be sport for some! Those pheasants seem to be spending more and more time at my bird table , does that now mean they are mine?
The dozy deerhound lets them eat their fill, she also ignores the piles of moving earth as Mr Mole ruins the lawn, moles who live on Mr landowners land, indigenous to his land, bet he doesnt want them back!

If a pheasant goes onto your land they remain the property of the breeder.

As for moles, dogs love to dig to find them, the result is big holes....
  • Fuzzball
  • Puppy Boarder

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 2 weeks ago #43424

Fuzzball wrote:
maggiemac wrote:

If a pheasant goes onto your land they remain the property of the breeder.

You're wrong about that. Once a pheasant is released it becomes a wild animal and if it strays onto your land it's yours to take.
  • Hilly
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 2 weeks ago #43425

From my research there have been many arguments in court about who owns what when it comes to pheasants, but let me further the debate....if you pay for a stretch of river to fish it, and all the fish from half a mile away come to your hook, whose fish are they?
We are still walking the same area, she is on the lead but I refuse to be intimidated by anyone.
  • maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 2 weeks ago #43426

Internet info says the fish are yours as long as they have free access to come and go from the stretch you own.
  • Fuzzball
  • Puppy Boarder

me, my dog and the local pheasants. 11 months 1 week ago #43431

Just be careful with these land owners. Some seem to have watched too many westerns and think they can just shoot at everything that moves. Unfortunately some of these folks have quite somme influence, so that local authorities may be just a little too lenient about their gun usage.
It is not worth taking the chance.
  • KimC
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 314
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.414 seconds