deerhounds for rehoming

• greycloud
  • greycloud's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #42841 by greycloud
greycloud created the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
I have been diagnosed with MS and have mobility problems which means that I have to start thinking about rehoming my precious deerhounds as I cant now give them what they need. This is an extremely hard decision I haven't undertake lightly.
I am not going to put a lot of detail here as I would rather any interested people message me with what they could offer as a forever home. I cannot drive any longer so people would have to come and meet them here in Pembrokeshire.
I have a 4 year old spayed female, a 7 year old spayed female and a 2 year old neutered male for rehoming. They don't have to be rehomed together but the male must go to a multi dog household, preferably with other deerhounds/lurchers.
I will be asking for £150.00 each for them which I will donate to my local rescue centre.
All the dogs are house trained, live in the house, sleep on my bed and on sofas and are much loved and spoilt. All dogs are micro-chipped and brilliant walking on leads and travelling in cars. Good recall and don't really leave my side when out

Please, no time wasters as this is the hardest thing I have had to do and is breaking my heart. It is bad enough coping with this illness and not being able to walk my dogs so please do your homework/research what deerhounds need before showing an interest.
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #42842 by CiCoch
CiCoch replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Hi ,

I would be very interested in the boy. Have PM'd you.

Steve.

More
4 years 2 months ago #42844 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
My heart goes out to you Greycloud. It's the hardest decision in the world to make & also admit to yourself that you are soon to be unable to look after your dog family. I know myself as I gave my baby away as I was & still are unable to look after a young growing hound due to O.A,
Hoping you find nice homes for your dogs.
Kindest regards
Wigster xxx

Wigster n San x

More
4 years 2 months ago #42845 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Hello Greycloud,

Very sorry, I hope the best for you and for your Deerhounds very good new homes.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

More
4 years 2 months ago #42846 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
I'm so sorry that you have been diagnosed with MS. A terrible disease. My thoughts go out to you having to make this heart breaking decision to rehome your hounds as well as cope with your illness.

Have you thought of asking for help from the Deerhound Clubs rehoming person? I just thought that as you have mobility problems they could help with vetting prospective homes and perhaps help with transport as members willing to help live all over the UK. You do not have to be a member for the club to help rehome your deerhounds. Contact details below. I hope they all find wonderful new homes and that you can find comfort in the knowledge that they will be well loved.

www.deerhound.co.uk/Contacts/PuppyCord.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: greycloud

More
4 years 2 months ago #42847 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
I feel very sorry for you. In my last litter, one puppy went to a lady that has MS. I very well see the problems you can have.
I hope you feel a little better.

More
4 years 2 months ago #42848 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Oh Greycloud

I am so sad reading this, it must be heartbreaking having to do this. My heart goes out to you.

Unfortunately I can't help you, but would be willing to help you vet any potential homes, I am in the WD23 area (Watford, Hertfordshire) but cover most of London, Essex and parts of Oxfordshire through my work.

I am so sorry, MS is wicked and you do not deserve this xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: greycloud

More
4 years 2 months ago #42850 by Pho
Pho replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Greycloud and Brodie, your recent posts touched my heart and made me cry. I wish I could help out some how. However, if life should open a doorway for me to help in the near future I will contact you.

More
4 years 2 months ago #42851 by 3HOUNDS
3HOUNDS replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
:( I'm so sorry to read of your diagnosis and pray that we don't find ourselves in a situation like yours. You must be so stressed and hearbroken.

Like another member we live in Watford, Hertfordshire. We help with transporting hounds for various rehoming organisations so if we can help in any way please just contact us. PMd you.

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #42853 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Craters_on_the_lawn replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
So so sorry to hear this - you must be heartbroken.

I would urge you to get in contact with a reputable rescue /breed rescue to help you do home-checks etc on any prospective new owners. Otherwise you have only prospective owners word for it as to whether they or their house are suitable. There are sadly some unscrupulous disreputable people out there, and you need peace of mind for your dear dogs (thank goodness they are neutered, but they could still be sold on without your knowledge; being valuable, and rarely turning up in rescue).
Greyhound Rescue West of England (who rehome all sighthounds not just Greys, and have expanded to cover most of England) would be good for checking almost everywhere in England www.grwe.com/ with volunteers in most counties. Of course your dogs could stay with you until they are adopted. They are an excellent charity with fantastic post-homing behavioural support; your dogs would also receive a 3 month post-homing visit to see how they are getting on - if the charity is not happy they have the right to remove the dog then. Or Dogs Trust is equally fantastic, if GWRE cannot help you. If I where in your position I would want total peace of mind that my dogs were happy and safe.

If you do not want to go down this route I would at least advise you request a vet reference from any prospective new owner - at least you could have peace of mind that they are responsible owners who do regularly take their dogs for vaccination, worming, check-ups etc.

My heart goes out to you - you are doing the right thing now, while you still have the strength to realise that the best thing you can do for your dogs is to let them go; but still it is so so hard. Sending heart-felt sympathy. Please keep us updated as to how you get on.

• greycloud
  • greycloud's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #42854 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Thank you all for your message and offers of help. I have decided that there is no way I can part with my hounds as we are a team and I cannot abandon them just because I am ill. I hadn't realised how much they help me, and how much they love me. I was just focusing on not being able to walk them so I am exploring the possibility of getting a dog walker and some doggy day care when I need a break. I don't know what the future holds with this disease but for now, my dogs are staying put! I feel so much better now, having made this decision.
Thank you all again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clunie, CiCoch, Joerg Yoki

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 2 months ago #42855 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Craters_on_the_lawn replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Oh I am glad. Love is the most important thing in the world, and our dogs give us so much; you cannot put a price on that, or the bond you have with them.

Meanwhile I am sure there may be practical solutions - I think maybe the cinnamon trust may be able to help - www.cinnamon.org.uk/

Or I have a feeling there is another similar charity (can't remember what its called -anyone?)

And of course there are lots of lovely games you can play with your dogs that will keep them mentally stimulated and happy - such as the "find it" (bits of sausage hidden around the garden) game etc (keeps mine sniffing and looking for at least 30 minutes if the treats are well enough scattered!). Just google "games for dogs" for many many more suggestions.

And if you have a mobility scooter there may be some flat tarmacced places you can take them - where I live there are a few such "all-ability trails" in the woods.

Love will find a way. All the best of luck to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

More
4 years 2 months ago #42856 by carolyn1957
carolyn1957 replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Good for you.You don't know what the future holds and believe me your hounds will help you through with
their unconditional love. There will always be solutions to the walking etc.
I am so very happy you have made this decision.
they will be the support you need and of great comfort to you... all the best

More
4 years 2 months ago #42857 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
I am so pleased you have come to this decision. Your dogs will certainly help and support you in the future. As you say you are a team. I'm sure you will be able to find a dog walker as there seem to be quite a few around often advertised in local papers.
Very best wishes to you and your hounds
Wendy

More
4 years 2 months ago #42858 by Pho
Pho replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Greycloud thank you for the wonderful news.

More
4 years 2 months ago #42866 by 3HOUNDS
3HOUNDS replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Same as all the others - so pleased for you and I know you were thinking of them. Your dogs will help you through this and if there are some low moments will also provide lovely cuddles. Hopefully there might be some reliable person in the area that can't have a DH but would so love to help out.

More
4 years 2 months ago #42876 by KB
KB replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Hey Greycloud, your post made me cry. We've exchanged (largely daft) words quite a few times and I was so aware of how much you love your dogs. I knew immediately how hard that must have been for you. There was a small time when I thought I was going to have to give Otto up and it was devastating. i am SO glad you wont. I understand why for a while there you thought you might have to (Gah! we cant all think straight ALL the time!) but you are completely right. There are many ways you care for them and make them happy, walking is just one part of it and I am sure you will miss walking them but as you say, there are ways round that but you are NOT interchangeable and this git of an illness does not mean those beasties need be without you.

There's a lovely lady with MS I see quite often out with her dog. She wobbles with a cane and her dog looks after her - he's a lovely boy and she's brilliant - a proper maverick.

I think change forced upon us often has us worry we'll still be able to maintain the care our dogs deserve, but they just adapt to their new routine and we just find solutions to anything that arises from it. They will run and play with each other and then they'll come home and look after you with all the love and care that you deserve.

I've known quite a few people with MS and their experiences all vary so much, I hope for you you've got a long long time before you even need a cane, and then I expect your dogs will be so impressed the penny dropped and you finally get what a fantastic thing a good stick is!

Lots of love to you, I'm sure everyone here will be so happy to support you in any way we can,
Just keep those beasties - they'll keep you stronger than anything!
Love Kerry. xxxx
The following user(s) said Thank You: 3HOUNDS

More
4 years 2 months ago #42877 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Like everyone else, I read your first post with sadness and now am delighted that you will keep your lovely dogs after all.
Wishing you heaps of luck and continued joy with your dogs!x

More
4 years 2 months ago #42878 by KimC
KimC replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Sorry for my late reply to this. And also sorry to hear the sad circumstances. MS has many faces. Some of those faces makes it impossible to keep dogs. Others not. I know of one who was diagnosed with MS 15 yers ago and she can still keep dogs. A person I know has been diagnosed with something (it is not MS) that one day may require her to part form her dogs, has asked me if I would take 3 of her dogs if things come worse.
The dogs live with her and they are supposed to do so as long as possible. We cant tell if this will bee soon or in a long time. But we keep in contact, and the dogs see each other (and me) when there is a chance (she lives 160 km away). That way I know the habits of her dogs, they know me, they know my dogs, my dogs know them - so if things come worse the rehoming of those dogs will come easier for them. She wants to keep her dogs as long as possible, which she can do with more confidence now, as she knows there is a backup if required. And only if required. That is a great relief to her to know.

I wish you all the best with your efforts to keep your dogs, and hope that you find a way to solve the daily things regarding the dogs that you may not be able to solve yourself. But a Plan B like the one I described would give you so much more confidence that it will allow you to keep your dogs withour worries. Because there is a plan that can be activated with a very short notice if needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

More
4 years 2 months ago #42880 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: deerhounds for rehoming
Greycloud, wishing you love, health and happiness and I am so glad you have decided that you cannot part with your beloved hounds. I hope you get all the help you need. I have a friend who has MS, she was diagnosed 20 years ago and for the last 10 years has been pain and symptom free, I hope this is you too.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds