• Lisa
  • Lisa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
3 years 2 weeks ago - 3 years 2 weeks ago #42667 by Lisa
Lisa created the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
Hi everyone!

I was just wondering whether anyone knows of a holiday cottage or caravan that is suitable for a Deerhound. We had trouble last year when we put Hamish (Lodhainn Beinn) into kennels for a week while we went on holiday because he howled for 2 days and we didn't really want to put him through that again. Apparently he was terribly unhappy but settled down a bit after the first 2 days of howling! We felt terribly guilty when the lady told us about it and decided that we would try and take him on holiday with us. We also have a deerhound x lurcher but she goes to stay with my parents but they can't cope with Hamish because he is a big strong boy! dh:)

I have driven myself bonkers looking around holiday cottage websites because a lot of the cottages will only take small/medium dogs. Also, we have a problem with Hamish not liking travelling in the car because of potential car sickness and he still wimpers in the car even though he will be 3 years old in August! We are in East Sussex and were looking for a cottage that isn't more than a 2 hr drive away, so it could be New Forest, Norfolk/Suffex, Kent, Sussex areas.

We have actually managed to find somewhere for this year which is a dog friendly caravan on the Sussex coast which has its own little garden which will be perfect for him but we would like to book a cottage for next year so we all have more room! We will need a 3 bedroom cottage because I've got two teenage boys who like to have their own room.

I would be most grateful for any ideas of a suitable cottage for a very large, well behaved Deerie. We just can't face putting him in kennels again and we can't find anyone who wants to look after him for us which is a shame, I would be happy with him going into someone's home!
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by Lisa.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #42669 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
Lisa, he may have only been unhappy in kennels because not only was he away from you, but his doggy friend also. I would try the kennels again perhaps for just one or two nights at a time - with his friend. Do this a few times and he will be willing to go after a while. Holiday cottages are ok but some of them state that a dog is not to be left alone in the cottage. There may well come a time when you absolutely need to kennel your dogs - mine are used to kennels but if they had not been I would have had real problems when my Mum broke a hip (she lives a long way from us). Make sure he has some of his own bedding and toys, take his usual food and he'll be fine.

I remember taking two of ours to a cottage in Scotland, one of them went into a room, accidentally barged the door shut behind him and in a panic peed all over the beige carpet. Then the other one cut a pad in the forest and bled everywhere. LOL, we spent a lot of time shampooing the carpets that holiday :laugh:

Now we have a small motorhome which is great for short breaks. Once the awning is up there is lots of space. For our 'big' holiday the boys go to kennels. Mind you, we are driving several hundred miles to Scotland next week and our DH puppy is very car sick. I tried him on Stugeron (human travel sick tablets), the child dose on a short trip and he wasn't sick - drooled a fair bit but better than the copious vomit he has done on trips of less than a mile!! Stugeron is perfectly safe for canines btw.

• Lisa
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
3 years 2 weeks ago #42670 by Lisa
Lisa replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
Thanks very much Bodhranlady for your reply. I have thought about putting them into kennels together but I'm not sure how Millie will cope because she is a rescue and has had a very bad experience of being in kennels both in the pound and in the rescue centre. However, she might be ok if she goes in with Hamish. We put her into kennels for a week once and she was so upset that she got terrible diarrhoea which took a week to get better afterwards but it is possible that she picked up something in there because there was blood in her facaes. Also, I'm not sure how they will cope together in a kennel because Mille is getting on a bit now and needs her own space and she often has to tell Hamish off for getting a bit too boistrous with her. I would worry that because they are in a confined space that she will keep having a go at him - I often have to intervene and tell Hamish to be gentle and to leave her alone. I suppose they could go in a kennel right next to eachother and would possibly be able to see/smell eachother. Millie will also probably keep trying to eat Hamish's food because she is a terrible food thief!

We've got our holiday in the caravan sorted out for this year and Hamish is coming with us but it would be good to know that we could put them both into kennels if we had to. We would like to visit some friends up north at some point and that might be an opportunity to book them both into kennels for a couple of days to see how they get on.

How lovely that you have a motorhome, I bet you have some great holidays! Thanks again for your help and advice :)

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #42671 by Dylan
Dylan replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
How do you travel with them in the motorhome ? We have one and I am trying to figure out how to place them. ? Thanks

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #42672 by Dylan
If I come across any I will let you know I am myself looking for cottage/houseto stay away for a bit and might take one of the big boys with me..not sure the wife would like being left with 2 deeries and a chocie. One of my boys was very car sick, what I did was not feed him before hand ( obviously ) and just took him on very short journeys..ie to start with I just sat in the boot of the car wiht him, post an wondered what I was up to !! Then had him in boot alone with me in the fron, then tried him with engine running, then bottom of the street and now I can travel miles and miles wiht him and he is fine.

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #42674 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
Have you tried this web site? I don't know what they have in the south but we have 2 separate weeks booked in Scotland this year with our 3 deerhound girls.

www.chooseacottage.co.uk/did
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan

More
3 years 2 weeks ago #42675 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
Dylan, our motorhome is pretty small (17'3") but is a coachbuilt with a bed above the cab. It has a dinette that converts to a double bed. The forward facing seats of the dinette have seatbelts. So...we have the double bed made up and the boys wear travel harnesses from Company of Animals with seatbelt extensions from eBay and they just slob out on the bed whilst being perfectly restrained and safe.
We did all the usual stuff like you did with the puppy (nearly 8 months old now) but he still puked. I have some 'heavy duty' tablets from the Vet but at £15.00 for one dose that is just mental. The Stugeron are £2.39 for 15 tablets and he has 1 tablet 2 hours prior to travel - works like a dream. There is some drooling but no sickness. The motorhome is great for little day trips out too as the dogs are comfy and we have our own cafe and loo. Not to mention a wardrobe with clothes for all conditions :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Dylan

More
3 years 1 week ago #42676 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
If I can not take dogs for holiday, I would take a house sitter, so they can keep their own sofa.
I will go to Finland with a bus, 7.20 long, I measured for the ferry. We travel with 3 deerhounds and 2 borzoi.
They all love going on a coursing trip.

More
3 years 1 week ago #42677 by Mheobail
Mheobail replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
Hi all, just on the subject of deerhound friendly holiday cottages, I can recommend one in Peebles, in the Scottish Borders (sorry not down south). It was at Neidpath Castle. They let out the cottage which adjoins the castle, which is unoccupied. There are fabulous walks straight from the door, you have the grounds to yourselves and the town is a 10 min walk away. The views across the Tweed River are amazing. The cottage is dog friendly, huge fireplace and all mod cons, ideal for walkers and anyone who likes fishing and shopping as there are regular buses into Edinburgh. Your deerhound gets its own castle and grounds to run around in, plus a beautiful clean river to cool off in. Is there a downside? Yes.......its haunted!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stussy, Lieve

More
3 years 1 week ago #42678 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
Just a thought for you...if you go to the lurcherlink website and look under the general section and find holidays with lurchers, there are some good recommendations for dog friendly holidays. A lot of them have been tried and tested by LL members and have taken multiple hounds with them. Good luck!

• Lisa
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
3 years 1 week ago - 3 years 1 week ago #42679 by Lisa
Lisa replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it. I have have a good look at all the cottages and websites you recommended and hopefully we will find the perfect place for next year. I still feel that I just can't put Hamish into kennels and I really don't think I will be able to put them in together because Millie won't cope if he starts bouncing around in there, he might squash her! :ohmy: We are looking forward to our caravan holiday with Hamish in August - the caravan park is set in lovely woodland so we have lots of great walks on our doorstep to wear him out! We are still looking for a cottage though for next year. :)
Last Edit: 3 years 1 week ago by Lisa.

More
3 years 1 week ago #42680 by Dylan
Great thanks for the info shall check that out.

More
2 years 11 months ago #42765 by 3HOUNDS
3HOUNDS replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
I haven't got the website link but if you try Sykes Cottages they have a couple near Beccles in Suffolk, not too far from the coast that take up to 4 dogs and have a large garden. There are only two of us and the dogs so we're looking to book off season as it's very reasonable then.

More
2 years 11 months ago #42767 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages

Mheobail wrote: Hi all, just on the subject of deerhound friendly holiday cottages, I can recommend one in Peebles, in the Scottish Borders (sorry not down south). It was at Neidpath Castle. They let out the cottage which adjoins the castle, which is unoccupied. There are fabulous walks straight from the door, you have the grounds to yourselves and the town is a 10 min walk away. The views across the Tweed River are amazing. The cottage is dog friendly, huge fireplace and all mod cons, ideal for walkers and anyone who likes fishing and shopping as there are regular buses into Edinburgh. Your deerhound gets its own castle and grounds to run around in, plus a beautiful clean river to cool off in. Is there a downside? Yes.......its haunted!!

That sounds amazing!!! do you have a website link?

Claire x

More
2 years 11 months ago #42768 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: Deerhound friendly holiday cottages
We have a holiday cottage at the farm I work at in North Essex, it may be a bit big but it has a lovely fenced in garden and is very dog friendly (as long as you remember to pop into my office so I can have a deerhound tickle!!) we also have a wine shop and cheese and pie shop on site B) B)

http://www.thegrainhouse.co.uk/special-offers

We stayed with all 4 of my lot a greayhound a dh x greyhound and 2 bedlington crosses in a lovely cottage in Derbyshire in Feb was very cheap and cheerfull and really cosy - but im guessing that may be too far if your boy?

This one in Dorset also looks very nice and in the right area for you - I haven't stayed there as whenever I look its booked up!! and just noticed they also have a cottage in Norfolk :D

www.graceholidaycottages.co.uk/

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.706 seconds