growth of deerhounds

• claire and edi
  • claire and edi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago #42645 by claire and edi
claire and edi created the topic: growth of deerhounds
Hello, Edi is now 9 months old and stands on back legs much taller than me! Nice simple question!? In your experience, when will she achieve her full height? (the breeder said that she thought she would be 32" at the withers!)
Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #42646 by KB
KB replied the topic: growth of deerhounds
Hello Claire - my experience is a bit thin -I've only have one fellow. He's coming up 5 now. But I think your nice easy question is complicated as they don't grow evenly. I'm guessing Otto was full height (33") at about 2-3 but was still a skinny funny looking boy. I don't think he got to full size til about 3-3.5, so he was probably still gaining a the odd millimeter on his height then.
and THEN when every last little bit is lovely and huge and has nicely strengthened up, at around that time, possibly after a little sit down, and then a nap, and another nap, only then, i think they turn their attention to developing a brain thing. This work we are still monitoring. It appears progress is slow...

Now for my prize I'd like a photo of Edi please? - just to make me go all sentimental. Puppy deerhounds are just lovely.
kb.

• claire and edi
  • claire and edi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago #42647 by claire and edi
claire and edi replied the topic: growth of deerhounds
Thank you kb, your reply did make me chortle!! Of course I will get a pic on and soon as she ("the Mrs" as my sons and me call her) sits still long enough and I can figure out how to upload. So! She may make her breeders predictions yet. I just wish she could stop herself from bounding up to total strangers and showing them her full height:-/
C.

• loopylou
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Happiness is a hound..or two.. or three...
More
3 years 3 months ago #42649 by loopylou
loopylou replied the topic: growth of deerhounds
Edi sounds like she is a character!
A rough guide to help - is to see if her - what we would call knees have become flat or if they are still a knobbly. Generally when they go flat ( the growth plates have stopped) you have the height they will be but of course they are still maturing and filling out after that so can appear taller although this often isn't the case. At 9 months especially if she is already tall she may well not have stopped yet!
Exercising is still kept till a minimum at this age of course as well B)

www.lureracing.com
Fast fun on four paws!

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds