Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: boys v girls

boys v girls 2 years 11 months ago #42576

Hi all, I would lve some insights as to the differences between girl and boy Deerhounds..apart from the obviouse ;0). Do the girls mature quicker ? Are they as lively as boys is either more obedient ? I have 2 boys , however my daughter is considering a girl in the future and we would love some insights in to them please . thank you .
  • Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74
The administrator has disabled public write access.

boys v girls 2 years 11 months ago #42577

Hello Dylan,
Nice to have a daughter that loves deerhounds to.
I think it is in the first place, a very personal matter. Some people feel better with bitches others with males.
Male deerhounds can be very dominant, sometimes you have to be able to tell them, this is the limit.
Bitches can have mouths, but I think they are easier to handle.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki, Dylan

boys v girls 2 years 11 months ago #42578

thank you Lieve I really appreciate your feed back ;0)
  • Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

boys v girls 2 years 11 months ago #42580

Dylan! How are you?! Splendid your daughter wants a deerie. I live with both males and females and love them equally. All have individual personalities and can shift from dominant to sort-of-submissive as the mood dictates. Never met a deerhound I didn't love! Let us know what your daughter decides, with pictures if possible!
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 287
Ironstone Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki, Dylan

boys v girls 2 years 11 months ago #42584

Hello Ironstone, great to "see " you how is your brood doing ? I appreciate your feed back, love to see some pictures of them all. it is awesome to see so many Deeries together. I am super excited heading to Crufts soon to see the hounds.

Here are my boys attached

the first is Torrum he is the older of the two and then the second boy is Aslan they are different breeders as you can see by the shape of the face, yet Aslans father is from Torrums bloodline. Aslan is the one I show Torrum never took to it , he does not enjoy it so after he became a champion I retired him. They are characters.!! I adore them both, Last week the chocolate lab broke through the fence so he could go and play with Aslan !! Wood every where I could not believe it. I was out trying to mend the fence with Aslan hanging over my shoulders watching me hammer and barking..then slept the rest of the day tired from chasing the wee lab..the lab Bo of course was ready to get into more trouble ! LOl

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Joerg and Yoki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

boys v girls 2 years 11 months ago #42586

Love the head of Torrum, witch breeder is he coming from?
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder

boys v girls 2 years 11 months ago #42587

HI Lieve

Torrum is Hyndsight Windforce, for some reason I am not getting a web site for them now. However if you go to this page

kilbournedeerhounds.com/P...20PEDIGREES.htm

scroll down to the H group and you then can click in to various pictures of Hyndsight dogs. When you look at a number of the dogs, certainly in the case of Riddick
who is Aslan dad ( I think that is correct )
kilbournedeerhounds.com/I...t%20riddick.pdf

There is alot of Aslan's line Rosslyn in them they are very much interlinked.

Here are the details of Torrums breeder

www.champdogs.co.uk/breeder/29349

Are You tempted ?? I just LOVE his big long nose, in general the public seem to go for him more so than Aslan.
Torrum is about a stone and a half heavier than Aslan, huge deep chest on him, wonderful temperament mixed well with our labs, calm, boy, does like to do his bit for his admirers the number of people who stop me in the street and want to get a picture , is unbelievable.
Another picture of him in the motorhome..yes straight in and he found the bed !! He does like sofas, blankets etc and will spend time arranging the blankets so as he has a wee pillow for his head as well as his body.

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Joerg and Yoki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki, Lieve

boys v girls 2 years 11 months ago #42588

Very nice pedigrees.
Over here I have 6 deerhounds, 4 bitches.
I don't like doing shows, so of course I have no show results of my deerhounds, but we do coursing.
Kilbourne Norma Jean is living with us, Islay's Iorwen to Palantiri, and the others are born over here, from Islay's Hannah and Cunamara Miles.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

boys v girls 2 years 9 months ago #42693

Hi Dylan

I have had both, boys and girls. My first Deerhound was a male and he was extremely hard work. I now have a bitch who is 5 months and she has been a lot easier, though toilet training with her was harder, it took what seemed like forever! where as my dog never did it once in the house.

Also I do believe that having a calm, older dog in the house (I have an 8 yr old Border Terrier) does lay some foundations as she copies him, when she isn't dragging him around the house and garden by his fur!!

Recall with my dog wasn't very good, yet with my bitch it is excellent, but I did put much more of an effort this time round and used clicker training and treat rewards for her to understand that when I call, she comes to me.
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan

boys v girls 2 years 9 months ago #42694

Thank you so much for posting. I really appreciated it and believe me 5mths is good !! One of ours took nearly 2 years, turth be told if there are very high winds he can still go indoors. He goes out but gets scared of the winds panics and runs in..and then well opps!

I think my daughter is thinking of having a really well behaved /trained lab with gundog lineage, rather than show. We have had labs of both show and gun and the lab with the gun was a dream to train fantastic and just so missed. Where as the show well the chocolate show dogs take some work..you think they have finally grasped it and nope it is all out the window. So as you say having a more settled dog helps influence the other...I am so glad for this feed back.
  • Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds