house training (that old chestnut!)

• claire and edi
  • claire and edi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #42475 by claire and edi
claire and edi created the topic: house training (that old chestnut!)
Hello......Edi is now 6 months old and she is a real darlin in every way, except...yup, she can't make it through the night without peeing a lake or two. I thought it was just that she's still so young but when i spoke to the breeder (a really lovely and massively experienced lady), she felt that Edi must be stressed? Now she does sleep alone as my stairway is very steep and i was worried about her having a nasty accident (on the way down!). Also i have little lads so i need to keep stair gates shut for them anyway, the cats are in with her, she has a big, soft bed but i now feel really guilty....should i risk the stairs? How has everyone else managed this? Should she not sleep alone? Edi is my first, and much longed for deerhound (always had massive lurchers before) so if there is anyone out there willing to give me an opinion, i would be so, so grateful
With thanks.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Joerg Yoki.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #42477 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: house training (that old chestnut!)
Hello Claire,
Nice to meed Edi.
Yes, many puppies ad 5/6 months are house trained, some are not.
No you shout not take her in to your bed, if stairs are not ok, she will better not go.
Patience is a very nice thing in education.

• claire and edi
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago #42478 by claire and edi
claire and edi replied the topic: house training (that old chestnut!)
Hello Lieve! Thank you for responding, looks from your photo that you have plenty of experience! I'm relieved to hear that its not just Edi (she's great in the daytime but maybe only because i go out with her every 2 hrs, if i miss it or am late she doesnt ask to go out!) So i guess just keep plodding? I ignore her when she has an accident and let her out, then i clean up then i feed her and she stays out for about an hour after each meal. If you think i'm doing anything wrong please (any of you), let me know. She never cries and seems happy in every other way but i hate the thought that she is stressed. Are there any other indicators of stress that i should be aware of do you think?
Thank you so much.

More
3 years 3 months ago #42480 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: house training (that old chestnut!)
Maybe she don't like to stay out, alone, after eating?
As I refer to myself, I don't go to the toilet when I stop eating, but only later.
Being out must be pleasant, not a punishment.

More
3 years 3 months ago #42482 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: house training (that old chestnut!)
Hi. So glad you have your longed for deerhound. Our girl took while to master house training so don't worry just yet. You could check with the vet though in case she has a chronic urine infection or some issue with her bladder. As for stairs...we were told by our breeder not to let puppies climb stairs as it may harm their joints. As we live in an upside down house we had to carry her up and down till she was 12 months!!! ☺ She sleeps alone downstairs beside a grandfather clock-she still chooses to be near the ticking if I am going out for a while.
I'm sure she will turn the house training corner soon.

More
3 years 3 months ago #42484 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: house training (that old chestnut!)
I'll bet she has a bladder infection. Off to the vet's where they'll test her urine, only takes a minute, and give her a two week course of antibiotics. She'll be okay after that.
Shelley

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
3 years 3 months ago #42486 by carolyn1957
carolyn1957 replied the topic: house training (that old chestnut!)
Hi Claire and Edi.
So happy you have a puppy deerhound, enjoy,love and have fun....
Daisy my first purebred deerhound after always having had large lurchers who is now almost 4 was a dream to housetrain.
She became 'A Camel' before she was 6 months old but Bella our new addition who is now 10months old has only in the last few
weeks made any attempt to moan/whine/whinge to ask to go out and is finally now dry all night (10.30-7.30) and ok to leave in the day if necc.
She was squatting randomly without any indication she wanted a pee which was exasperating to say the least.
I decided she needed to conform so every morning at the same time(7.00) woke her up and made her go out into garden and would not give up until she
had peed and then lots of praise and a treat and allowed back into her warm bed.At lunchtime out for a leadwalk until she peed and then praise and
then 4 hours later etc etc.
Now if she is left whenever I return I take her out for a short walk or let her out immediately until she has peed and she now realises she will be allowed to "go" on my return
and seems she can now wait.
As similar as deerhounds are they are all so different.
Daisy is a really picky eater and has to be encouraged to eat every meal but Bella has a really good appetite and has to eat on a large tray so she has to chase her food about to slow her down !!!
Be patient, she will be fine but well worth a check for a dipstick test on her pee.
Happy New Year to you and enjoy,enjoy enjoy.

• claire and edi
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago #42487 by claire and edi
Good point well made! But she does "go" in that time and charges around playing-total refusal in the rain tho, i stand out there calling her getting soaked and she just stands inside with her ears up....dry!

• claire and edi
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago #42488 by claire and edi
Sorry, last message was for Lieve! Thank you everybody for sharing the benefit of your experiences, i think i'd quite like a camel! I will act on your advice and get her dipped (HOW???!!!) also it looks like no weekend slacking of routine for me! Seriously she is such a lovely and loving dog that she more than makes up for it- and it could be oh-so much worse i guess! Edi is great with everyone (including my 4 little lads) well, ok she is a bit too enthusiastic on the jumping up but it seems she needs to get near peoples faces? Thats ok of course for me but for complete strangers out on walks a tad dodgey! Thank you again (and just HOW did you carry her upstairs?? Killing me just to get her into the truck!) thanks again, will stay in touch
Claire

More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #42490 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: house training (that old chestnut!)
Claire, to collect urine specimen. Take a brand new, clean, aluminium foil dish (like a takeaway container, but new), follow Edi around and when she squats pop the dish under her as she pees. Voila, you have your specimen. You then need to decant the spec. into a clean container (you could get a urine specimen container from your Vet beforehand). Squeeze a corner of the foil dish to form a spout and pour into your container. Then take it to your Vet for 'dipping' or even Lab testing.

To give you hope, we had a DH in the past that was 18 months old before he was reliably 'dry'. He had no infection, he was just slow. Even during the day he would just stand up and pee where he was. He got over it but it was very trying for us.

Good luck!

PS. The specimen can be refrigerated for no longer than 24hrs if you can't get to the Vet straight away (and no, germs will not leap onto anything else in your fridge) :)
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Bodhranlady. Reason: additional info

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.619 seconds