Running with Charlie the deerhound

• TomFrost
  • TomFrost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #42438 by TomFrost
TomFrost created the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
About one year ago we got our first deerhound. The breed chosen partly because of Karen Blixen's wounderful descriptions of her hounds, and partly because of the breed beeing runners.

I was hoping anyone could share some experiances with running with deerhounds.

At the present time, Charlie only joins me on shorter runns (not more than 8km), but we will keep increesing the distance so that we can run long distances when summer comes.
Depending on the progresse, we will be running a short ultra over a mountain plateau in norway in late summer, or a longer ultra folowing the kings road (1000yr old trail throug the woods from norway to sweden).

At the time i write this we're getting ready to go cross country skiing, something he finds most amusing. Always keeping right by my side , focused on the task at hand. Still taunting me a little if im to slow upp hill. Strongly recomended for people living in where this activety is posible.

Havent read anything about people running with theire deerhounds, something i find most strange. I would think that a hound with such grace and elegance, power, stamina and courage, woul be appealing to long distance runners.
Hopefully there are some on this forum who run short or long with their hounds, and want to share some exprerrianses.
I will share some myself if anyone find it the least bitt interesting.

sorry for my grammar by the way. i've gott dyslexia, something wich is showing a lott when wrting in english.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Lieve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #42439 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
Hello and welcome TomFrost with Charlie dh:) in the Scottish Deerhound Forum.

We wish you many fun here.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

More
3 years 6 months ago #42441 by KimC
KimC replied the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
How old is Charlie now? If you got him as a puppy one year ago, I think running 8 km with him is far too much. Furthermore deerhounds are rather inactive in summer, I dont think you can make long runs with a deerhound in summer.

In the hottest summer time, my hounds only make loonger walks in the earliest morning hours, in the spring and autumn we may take all day walks, but they are with many breaks. Hounds are rather short distance sprinters, not long distance anything.

• TomFrost
  • TomFrost's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
3 years 6 months ago #42442 by TomFrost
TomFrost replied the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
I am sure that when keeping a deerhound on leach, it would be better for them if the owner runs, so not to refuse them their naturale stride. In that regard running 8km with a young deerhound, will not difer from walking the same distance.

As for the distance it self, i have consoultet our regular veterinarien (who was recomended becouse of his knowledge of deerhounds) on several ocations regarding running and walking with Charlie. I am of course aware that there are diferent opinions about this, but beeing a professional with accses to the hound in question, i trust his judgement.
Off course you cant walk or run longer distances with a untrained hound..

The heat is not neseserly a problem in norway in the summer :) At least not in the mountains where if we are lucky it might reach 10-15 degreese at mid day (and that would be a hot day). The startingpoint would be 1222m above sea level.

More
3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #42443 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
If your hound is still young you do need to be very careful as he will still be growing. Once fully grown there is no reason why he can't run with you. We regularly cycle with our oldest 3 ( 3 yr old, 5 yr old 7 yr old) anything between 7 -10 miles , 11 - 16 km, some times longer. They are only on leads near roads. They will trot next to us or charge ahead then come back. The deerhound, although quite swift should also be an endurance athlete, remember they were used to hunt deer over vast distances. Just remember he is still young so don't push to hard.

Spring
Last Edit: 3 years 6 months ago by Spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Bodhranlady, WendyS

More
3 years 6 months ago #42448 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
Hello,

Wendy has found this interesting message on Facebook.

Link / Source www.facebook.com/groups/deerhound.news/

Citation:
Ali Morton
28. Dezember 2014 um 21:47 ยท Ardrossan, United Kingdom

Very interesting and why giant breed puppies should never have too much exercise. The first picture shows at what age the growth plates finish, and the second picture is of a very young (weeks old) puppy's joints.
END

Regards
Joerg
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS

More
3 years 6 months ago #42476 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
A 1 year old deerhound can perfectly run 8 km, if he is trained.
You can not start with 8 km.
I train my deerhounds for coursing, I can not run myself, I go out with a quad.
Ad 1 year we do normally 4 km, twice a week, at a speed from 10 to 20 km/h.
When we go to the village, to have a drink, we go 6 km and 6 km back home.
You can go to about 40 km a day, easily when he will be a little older and not growing anymore.

For dyslexia, language corrector is very fun. I have dyslexia to.

More
3 years 6 months ago #42485 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
Thanks for your post Joerg, it is spot on. Deerhound puppies should not be taken on runs before 18 months but it can be very difficult to convince new owners of this. Unfortunately this often leads to costly vet bills. BTW an important reason why more people do not go on runs with deerhounds is the hounds cut in front of them in order to take them down like prey! It is an instinctive trait of sighthounds. As we all know deerhounds love to run...with other deerhounds, not with people!

Welcome to the forum TomFrost. I hope you have many happy years ahead with Charlie.
Shelley

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
3 years 6 months ago #42489 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: Running with Charlie the deerhound
I have deerhounds for over 30 years, they have always been running all together, for the moment 6 deerhounds and a magyar agar.
They never ever had articulation problems.
Last year we went to Italy for European Coursing championship, my 2 deerhounds ad 20 months made 5 and 6 on ranking.
And they will run more.
A non trained hound is a danger for himself, trained in a good way they can do lots and lots of things, but not when they come out of a sofa to go in to the garden and back to the sofa.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds