• emma
  • emma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #42061 by emma
emma created the topic: Hot hounds
Hi everyone
Hope everyone and their hounds are well. I'm after a bit of advise, my deerhound suffers from the heat quite badly in that he just doesn't want to do anything, out on walks he just looks miserable and not he's normal playful self. I have noticed this over the last couple of summers so this year before it gets too warm id like to try help him as I have noticed a change in him over the past few days since the weather has got warmer.
What I would like to know is does anyone have there hounds striped, cut or anything. I was thinking of getting a thinning comb and trying to thin his coat out a bit to see if this helps. I'm happy to take him to the groomers but only if they know what they are doing. I don't show him or anything but don't want to ruin his beautiful coat although his comfort is paramount.
Any previous experience of advise would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Emma and Jake dh:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #42062 by BethC
BethC replied the topic: Hot hounds
Last summer we used a "furminator" on our two for the first time. Lots of undercoat came out each time so I can only assume it made them feel a bit more comfortable. However, we basically walked them at 6am and again at 9pm and let them sleep indoors in the cool during the day. We've also got a pond in the woods near us, we can tell when it gets really warm because Yalla will go in the water up to his chest and just stand there panting! Most of the time water is only to be approached if it's in his drinking bowl or a horrible dirty Belfast sink we have in the bottom of the garden full of a years worth of rainwater and leaves.....yummy!

More
4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #42063 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: Hot hounds
Hi Emma. There are different opinions on this. However, personally, my own thoughts are do not strip or clip. The hair acts as an insulator against the suns rays. Many animals with really thick, dense coats live in very hot areas of the globe. The UK doesn't really get all that hot. Walk early and/or late and ensure shade and water is provided. I found this article for you which explains further :-

www.veterinaryinsider.com...Think-Again.cfm
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by Bodhranlady. Reason: change of wording
The following user(s) said Thank You: emma

• emma
  • emma's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 5 months ago #42064 by emma
emma replied the topic: Hot hounds
Many thanks

Yeah furminator was what I was thinking. Maybe I should try that. Yeah we are lucky to have lots of places with water nearby too so can go there when it warm. My grey hound has learnt that a good way to cool down is to go in the water and lay down fully submerged like a hippo!!! Unfortunately Jake is less of a water baby and will only go knee deep. Thanks again!!!!

More
4 years 5 months ago #42065 by longdog
longdog replied the topic: Hot hounds
Try very early walks ... when its hot mine get a couple of hours from around 4.30 am.. then they settle down to sleep for the day ... keep refreshing the water and keep them in the shade.

More
4 years 5 months ago #42066 by KimC
KimC replied the topic: Hot hounds
In warm days we walk early or late. I dont take the dogs on walks when I can feel they are not interested, or would rather do something else, like relaxe..
I have one deerhound and a handful of borzois. My deerhound does well in warm weather, the borzois not, except one. And that is the most hairy one. I do thin their coat a little while it is warm, but not much. The male dogs do better if some of the hair in the groin is removed.
Otherwise I have arranged places where they can spend the day idle, there are water bowls allover the place. They usually fire up in the evening and starts chasing each other, which is a sign to me that the temperatures have become comfortable.

More
4 years 4 months ago #42069 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: Hot hounds
Hi Emma, I don't know the science behind this but its what I`ve done for years to all my dogs. Wash their face. I use warm water and I sponge it literally all over Aiofe`s face , it always works in as much as she settles down, the panting and forlorn expression evaporates and she will be quite happy. I sometimes have to do it two or three times a day, but the result is always the same-peace. She likes it so much when I ask" do you need a wash ?" she comes in and looks for the sponge. On another note does anyone know how to get rid of the most awful hand cramps that I get when its hot? xMaggie.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #42070 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Hot hounds
Yes, our girl also hates the heat so it's morning and evening walks and the rest of the day she finds the coolest place in the house and lazes about all day. She has access to the garden which has lots of trees and a wee stream but never chooses to go out unless I am in the garden. This year she has had a big moult (for the first time in 5 years) so no need to even consider thinning her hair although she is not that heavy in the undercoat anyway so I have never had need to think of that.
Previous dogs have chosen to go outdoors and lie under trees etc., but not this one. The terrier is much less affected but he likes the water and has just been short clipped.
I do know there are cooling coats that one can buy.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by crackadog. Reason: spelling!

More
4 years 4 months ago #42071 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Hot hounds
PS. Will try the face wash next hot day Maggiemac and see what she thinks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: maggiemac

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.394 seconds