Do I get another deerhound or not?

• maggiemac
  • maggiemac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41976 by maggiemac
maggiemac created the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
Considering....only considering but as always I would like every ones opinion. Aoife will be two in a week or so and is still a handful. Boysie my old Jack Russell is still around but its only a matter of time (he is 19 on the 23rd of May, he recently had a stroke, so this decision will be made post Boysie). Aoife was late leaving the litter and it has made her odd? She sees me as another deerhound-not always admittedly , but enough times to be recognised-we work on this issue constantly. And if you are interested this rears its head when she barges me on the lawn trying desperately to get me to "play", she`ll mouth me but this is getting less and less. This is not behaviour that I have ever had after about 6months. She is always deferential in fact more she is a downright supplicant when it comes to meeting a new dog in the street, she`ll lie down sphinx like and wait their approach, everyone thinks I have trained her to do this, I haven't.
I feel that when Boysie does go she`ll feel abandoned dog wise and take some backward steps,(bear in mind when Aiofe arrived I had 3 x 17 year old Jacks-sadly two have since died).
I noticed that rather a lot of the forum members seem to have multiple deerhounds, do you think this would help Aiofe to distinguish between me and a playmate? She obviously has never really been able to "play" with the jrs because they treated her with distain as you can imagine. She is walked and given lots of runs although that is a bit limited at the moment as there are tractors throughout the fields. The garden I have is about 200 metres in length , she will come and collect a toy and then take it outside,running the length of the garden throwing it around until she tires . She is always absolutely full of energy.
So if I do, what sex would you recommend, and would it be better to have another puppy or perhaps I should offer a home to an older hound? All replies are welcome, your opinions count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41985 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
A deerhound needs another dog of same strength to play together.
If you do not think breeding you can spay them.
Good luck, for all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, maggiemac

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41986 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
Thank you Lieve, I don't have any plans to breed from her, but I`m sure you are right about her needing a playmate.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41993 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
I agree, deerhounds are much happier with a companion. Another sighthound or lurcher is ideal as they seem to be on the same wavelength.

If you were to get a puppy it would be a long time before the 2 of them could be allowed free play as the risk to the youngster is high because they do play rough. One of mine suffered a neck injury at 11 months old after a shoulder charge that was too rough from one of the older ones. She is fine now but it did take a long time to heal.

There are advantages in rehoming. Are you a member of the Deerhound Club? If not would you like me to forward the rehoming co-ordinator's details to you? Some of the big breeders often "run on" 2 puppies from a litter until they decide which one to keep so that would be another possibility.

Good luck with it all

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41994 by maggiemac
Thank you, yes please forward the details. There are too many unwanted puppies (of varying breeds) out there so I`m neither looking to breed or show , I just want a happy Aoife. Not much to ask is it?

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41995 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
Hi Maggiemac - I agree with the others - deerhounds need another deerhound or lurcher to cope with their unique way of playing and roughhousing. It will also be good for you after all that you have been through recently.

I am sure that by now you will know that the deerhound rehomer is Kim Owens at Wolfscastle deerhounds.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you get on dh:)

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41997 by maggiemac
Thank you , I didn't know about "Wolfcastle" so it will be interesting to speak to Kim and see how I might progress, I`ll keep you all posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41998 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
Maggiemac
I have PMed you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maggiemac

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #41999 by maggiemac
Thank you , I`ll give her a ring.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #42000 by BethC
BethC replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
Hi Maggiemac - we've got a single DH boy who was 2 last October. He does have another dog the same age living with him, but a gundog and as far as Yalla is concerned only really any good for hunting practice! Yalla does what your DH does, "bum-barges" us out on walks and gets hold of coat sleeves to pull us into a game. Since having Yalla we've decided we wouldn't have A deerhound again, we'd have two (or a lurcher as suggested elsewhere) for precisely that reason. If there are no DH rescues that will fit the bill try Southern Lurcher Rescue (depending on where you live) as they are always looking for experienced sighthound owners. Good luck!

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 2 weeks ago #42002 by maggiemac
Thanks Beth, good idea.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #42013 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
I don't have a pure deerhound at the mo, but have in the past, but within a pack of lurchers. I currently have a greayhound, a deerhound x greyhound and 2 bedlington whippets, and they all play the same! even tho the whippet x's are tiny they run rings around the deerhound x and have no fear of barging and 'rarararaa bitey face' :laugh: they all spark off each other and even the old lady greyhound will get in with the rough and tumble, as a comparison my old collie x just didn't get it and used to hide behind my legs when the lurchers went off on one!

Lurcher link is another good place if you are considering a rescue :) that's where Finn came from :)

I have to add tho, altho I already have 4, having had a deerhound in the past im really struggling justifying not getting another at the moment - but I have to be sensible and realise that it wont be easy walking 5 on my own - but I can manage 4 easily - so whats another lead? ;) , I have never missed a dog like I miss my dh girl, they really do get under your skin :ohmy: :blush:

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 1 week ago #42014 by maggiemac
Thanks Stussy, Rararaaa bitey face often attaches itself to my bum so I know exactly what you meant ,lol. I would like another DH but I think as said earlier it would be better to have another adult dog , I think Aoife would be too rough with anything less than her equal. Looking back I probably should have had two pups, aah the power of hindsight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: greycloud

More
5 years 1 week ago #42015 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
Did you phone Kim at Wolfscastle deerhounds? I am sure that many of us will be keeping an eye out for a suitable hound for you and Aoife dh:)

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 1 week ago #42016 by maggiemac
Yes but as yet I`ve only had the answer machine, tried emailing too but that failed to deliver, I`m not very tech minded so I haven`t been able to sort it. I`ll keep trying though, I`m not going to rush it because of Boysie , I`m sure you see the sense in that. Also from tomorrow onwards I have my friends Basset x for a week , that should be fun....It will give me a chance to see whether Aoife shows jealousy or dominance over another dog, poor Basset, lol. They are buddies but we are very careful not to let them roughhouse too much because of the size difference, they are the same age but the Basset whilst as strong as an ox is soon tired out where as Aiofe as yet has never been tired out by playing. Also these two walk out together but have never been in my house together, I feel a learning curve approaching.

More
5 years 1 week ago #42018 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Do I get another deerhound or not?
Oh maggiemac I'm in a similar position to you. I lost my DH boy March 2013. This leaves me with a 7 yr old Border Terrier, who misses his buddy something rotten. He still sits on the window ledge looking for him and unlike how he used to be, he is now more friendlier with dogs we meet in the park. I have had a health scare, which leaves me in limbo about getting another Deerhound pup, mainly because my job is now uncertain, but I would get another pup because I have two small grand sons and he/she has to grow up with them, though saying that, Murphy was 4 when my first grandson was born and adapted very well to a baby in the house, though he only found them interesting when they had food!
I'm just biding my time, but do want another one so much, I dream about it at night!!! What are we like?
Also, he made me feel safer on walks, as I do prefer to walk remote over the acres of fields we have around here, but having such a small little dog, he just doesn't look the part, unlike a Deerhound!
Good luck in your search for a friend for Aofie, I'm sure she will calm down when she has another like sized buddy. Oddly enough, Murph did exactly the same thing when he saw another dog, lie down. I used to think he was trying not to look intimidating "hey Im same size as you!!" but he too was a boisterous boy until he was about 5 and he really calmed down. I still miss him badly, even all the feet wiping in the winter and mopping the floor!

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 1 week ago #42019 by maggiemac
Thanks Lurch, its easy to "wax lyrical" when we talk about our dogs, I have found them to be a breed apart from all the rest! I`m a retired horse woman and I missed my Highland ponies so much after the break up of my marriage that it made me ill. I hope your health "scare" was just that, and you`re better now?
When I realized that I was free to have the dog of my dreams (always stifled in my marriage) I wasn't long before I started looking for her. I always describe my DH as the closest I could get to a Highand pony, and she is. Tough, hardy ,biddable beautiful. And you`re right, you can walk in the remotest of places and feel safe. The lack of understanding of this breed makes most people give them respect and a wide berth. We have lots of farm labourers close by, who Aoife would love to chase down and introduce herself but as one shouted "Wolfdog" to her last week I know they are all wary of her(I`m not admitting she`d only play with them).
You should get another DH, it wont replace Murphy, because it will be different in many ways, but really good dog owners are rare and you owe it to yourself to fulfil your potential.... x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

More
3 years 9 months ago #42925 by CiCoch
CiCoch replied the topic: Re:Do I get another deerhound or not?
Just to add my two-penneth... I've been in the same boat as a few here in that I lost my Mac a year ago and its taken me this long to get over it enough to think about getting another. I have been feeling so guilty as my beddie-whippet bran was best pals with Mac and I just hadn't taken into account how much he misses him. Every day when we go for a walk he tries to get a rise out of my old spaniel, he gets very frustrated and I feel even worse having to shout at him to leave the poor old boy alone. Hounds need another hound to play with. Otherwise they get quite depressed. We're awaiting the patter of 4 tiny feet , due in a few weeks. So Bran will have his play mate. And I will be able to part fill the hole that Mac left behind. So for both your sakes do it, without hesitation!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: maggiemac, greycloud

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds