Indoor Doggie Toilet?

• Pho
  • Pho's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago #41944 by Pho
Pho created the topic: Indoor Doggie Toilet?
Greetings Everyone,

Sorry for dropping off the face of the forum. Life was crazy for a bit. East did overcome her urinary tract infection but not before one horrible night where I thought I was going to loose her. I also think I shoveled more snow in the last few months than in the last decade.

I'm currently looking into "indoor doggie potty" systems as an option to have for the girls and wonder if anyone has any experience with one. The models that I found online appear to be too small for the girls; however, I do have the means to make one myself at a reasonable cost. Basically, I would convert one of their kennels which has a removable plastic tray by: placing absorbant training pad(s) on the plastic tray, placing plastic grating down (Home Depo here in the states sells 2'X4' plastic grating for light fixtures that will work), then placing artificial grass for dogs on top (again Home Depo sells the artificial doggie turf). If need be I can add Velcro (comes in a roll, cut to length, peal off a backing and it self sticks to a surface) to hold the turf in place. Clean up would be: toss the pads, and clean/rinse the rest.

Any thoughts, advise, comments, and the like would be appreciated. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 6 months ago #41945 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Indoor Doggie Toilet?
This I gotta see! Please post photos of the project when you're done :laugh:

At a conformation show recently I noticed an x-pen that was lined with artificial dog turf and the owner told me when it is soiled she takes it outside and hoses it off. I wonder if you might not need to bother with the plastic tray, pads and grating, perhaps the dog turf would be enough to contain the soil? Sorry I have no experience with the product so am only putting this out as a suggestion.

Otherwise I would put Depends adult undergarments on the dogs (cut a hole for the tail and they'll stay in place).

Ironstone Deerhounds

• Pho
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago #41948 by Pho
Pho replied the topic: Indoor Doggie Toilet?
Greetings Ironstone!

Thanks for the comment. If I go this route for the girls I will post photos.

I'm looking at an indoor potty for the girls so that they have something for when the weather is too bad to go out in and for when I need to be away for the day for more than 4 hours; but home in about 8 - 9 hours. Hurricane Sandy and this last frigid winter had too many days where the girls would not even leave the house at times for about 12 hours. I think East's urinary track infection was linked to not willing to go out in the cold.

I can just imagine how the place would look in a few minutes of trying the Depends ... white fluff everywhere.

I think the pads, grating, and grass combination would work hopefully better than just turf or just pads. The pads should soak up the liquid and make clean up easier. The grating will keep the girls paws out of the wetness and away from the pads so that they cannot disturb it. The artificial turf sold for dogs is designed for better drainage so that the liquid will pass through and again stay away from the girls. The turf should also give the girls a better surface to walk and stand on instead of a hard grate. Hopefully the turf will also aid in training as its not the same as carpeting and is more like grass?

My main concern is that I will have to train the girls to wee in the house which is something they do not do at all. Once trained to the potty I think it will be rather hard to undo the training if the system is something I cannot sustain or is unworkable. The concept may sound good, but I'm not sure if it will really workout.

More
4 years 6 months ago #41949 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Indoor Doggie Toilet?
I would think that you'd be better getting some sort of shelter built outside so that they can be in the dry. Maybe something like a long porch along the outside of the house!

Rob B

• Pho
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 6 months ago #41950 by Pho
Pho replied the topic: Indoor Doggie Toilet?
Thanks Robb for your thoughts. Unfortunately I live in a condo community which limits such things. With my other girls I built an outdoor potty area for them out back. (A raised bed, a layer or sand for drainage and a wood chip top layer). My next door neighbor kept complaining and I would get nasty letters from the condo association. The outdoor potty was converted to a raised flower bed in the end.

I have a few projects that need to be done first. Then I think I'll just put the indoor potty together and see how the girls like it by training them first to use it outside. If all works well for everyone, then move things indoors. If things don't work well, then at least they did not learn to wee in the house.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.528 seconds