New Puppy Boy or Girl

More
4 years 4 months ago #41851 by KC
KC created the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
I would like to get a companion for my 17 month old deerhound Ollie. When we got him he was one of three dogs but unfortunately last year in July my Doberman bitch was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and was put to sleep she was 11.5 years then in the November my Deerhound Alfie who was 3.5 years was diagnosed with a terminal illness and had to be put to sleep. Ollie my other deerhound has been on his own for a while now as we were in the middle of some building work in the house and didn't want to bring in a new puppy in until the house environment was more settled. My current dilemma is do I go for a boy or a girl. Ollie is a very friendly dog when out and about and he gets on with both male and female dogs. He is still intact and I don't intend on gettting him neutered. I know possibly a girl would be the best combination but I do worry about getting her spayed at some point. Any advice please on two males together (intact) or male and female. Does anyone have two intact males that actually sleep together and are best of friends? Experienced deerhound owners advice would be much appreciated on this subject.

Thank You

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #41852 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
Hello KC,

In any case, new friend for Ollie dh:) is very good.
I'm not sure, maybe is a male best.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

More
4 years 4 months ago #41853 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
How exiting looking forward to a new puppy.
I have only ever had bitches so I can't give you advice from my experience but I know people who have 2 males living successfully together.
Bodhranlady has always had 2 males going back over several generations so hopefully she will see this post and reply as her advice is always sensible and good.
Best of luck
Wendy

More
4 years 4 months ago #41854 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
Hello KC. Wendy S is correct. We have always had 2 males together since the 1970's. Never had a minute's trouble. I understand your worries about getting a girl spayed although these days vets are more aware of large dog issues. We have always kept our boys entire with the exception of one who had to be castrated due to prostate problems a couple of years ago - it really, really changed his coat texture. It became very thin and would clump in 'tufts'. This particular dog passed away in January and we are awaiting another male puppy! In fact, we have had one booked for quite some time but the bitch 'missed'. Yes, we would have had 3 boys. I have a friend who has 3 boys, in fact 4 until recently with no trouble between them.

I would say, do a bit of research and try get one from 'laid back' lines - I have known some 'snappy' deerhounds although not many thank goodness.Having said that, I think if an owner is pretty calm then their dogs usually are too. Leaving us with that age old question - is it nature or nurture? :)

More
4 years 4 months ago #41855 by KC
KC replied the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
Bodhranlady

Thank you very much for your advice it is much appreciated.

KC

More
4 years 4 months ago #41858 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
Hello KC I live with a lovely pack of deerhounds, everyone is intact, none castrated or spayed, and we get on beautifully. As Bodhranlady says, if an owner is calm the dogs are too! The thing is to be aware, and if there are any rumblings tell them in a normal voice to "stop that," and they will. Mind if you still feel they're thinking of fighting and you happen to be out in the garden, a good squirt from the garden hose cools the situation off nicely! I do hope you find a new friend for Ollie soon.

Meanwhile in an unrelated matter, there is a real vintage bear rug for sale that I would like to buy but I am wondering if the deerhounds would behave around it, or if they would maybe give it a squirt on the way by! What do you think?

Ironstone Deerhounds
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady, Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 4 months ago #41862 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
LOL, Ironstone, I wouldn't lay a bet on them NOT giving it a squirt ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone

More
4 years 4 months ago #41863 by KC
KC replied the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
Lol as well.We are pretty much decided to go with a boy so starting to get excited again. As per my first post we are just finishing some building work and I've just watched Ollie squirt on the kitchen fitters van so I don't hold out much hope for the vintage bear rug!!

More
4 years 4 months ago #41881 by KB
KB replied the topic: New Puppy Boy or Girl
Hello Ironstone, Otto has lived with a stuffed porcupine, a stuffed crow, an egret, a few unidentified victorian winged anomalies and a horses skull for most of his life. When he first arrived I explained that these were my past pets but unfortunately they peed on the carpet and this is what became of them. Well, it didn't stop Otto needing a full fortnight (!) to become house trained but he always treated his rather unplayful house mates with complete respect, especially after giving the porcupine a little sniff and finding it can still nip, even without moving.

I say get the rug!
KB

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds