Vociferous deerhounds

• singer
  • singer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41816 by singer
singer created the topic: Vociferous deerhounds
Firstly, really glad this forum has survived, thanks to Joerg and Yoki! I have looked so often for advice and help but have not posted, so feel bad about that. We have three deerhounds, who are very different in their vocalisations. Interested in whether anyone else has these experiences? Our eldest, Alfie who is now 5, howls loudly just like a wolf in a horror movie if a siren - ambulance, fire engine or police etc - goes off around us. It is really impressive. Usually he gives two full throated, extended howls and the third is a bit of a wind down. If we are out walking at the time it attracts a lot of attention. Now he is older and more sedentary at home he will do it from his place on the sofa, just raising his head enough to give his throat enough room but without putting himself out too much. Cally, our just about 18 month old makes very little noise, bangs on the door with a paw to come in and she makes few vocal sounds at all, maybe a tiny whine if pushed. Bertie, now almost eleven months, is incredibly vocal with a wide range of sounds. He yelps, barks to himself when he is alone in a room, has a range of noises which are hard to describe but are almost like talking. Just wondering what other peoples' deerhounds do to express themselves. Has anyone else a howling deerhound?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, greycloud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41818 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Vociferous deerhounds
Thanks Singer for your interesting post.

Our hounds howls, if our old phone rings.

One of our hounds can open doors (press the latch down and pushes the door open).

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: singer

More
4 years 8 months ago #41820 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Vociferous deerhounds
I have a squeaky ball which, if squeaked sets off my 10 month old deerhound boy. He too, howls very loudly then that sets off the other 3! The ball is kept out of reach except when I want to set them off. I have other balls that squeak but it is only this particular ball that invokes said howling. Kizzy grumbles to herself and that usually ends with a loud yawn, Megan hardly makes any noise at all. Stuart the 10 month old will also, if told off, tell me off back with a wide range of vocalisation.
They are funny things dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, singer

More
4 years 7 months ago #41826 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: Vociferous deerhounds
My old DH girl used to mutter away to herself all the time :laugh:

Ear scratch ooofffuuurrrrahhhhhharumph...

getting on the sofa groan ..mutter mutter

mum I want something.. mutter mutter arrofff grumble...

she generally used to just chat to me :laugh: she very rarely barked unless someone she didn't know or like the look of (generally big men with hats on) came to the door or approached me then my word she barked loud and howled and sounded serious!

Finn my Deerhound x doesn't make much noise at all, unless the terriers start 'singing' then he sometimes joins in :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, singer

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds