I see dead people.....

• maggiemac
  • maggiemac's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41722 by maggiemac
maggiemac created the topic: I see dead people.....
I haven't lived in this little house long and I only have snippets about its long history. I`m sure over its life many people will have died here, law of averages , so why does my deerhound keep growling and staring at the wall?
Usually Aiofe retires to my bedroom and her big cosy basket about 8.30 pm but just lately she wont leave the sofa until I retire and then she starts acting very strange. She goes instantly to the wall and growls very deep and threatening , its chilling. There`s no glis glis, no bats, no rats ,or at least no natural evidence. She`ll stare at the ceiling and watch something I cant see. She`ll lie down and keep watching the ceiling for absolutely ages, she`ll get up and prowl around the room crying that pathetic DH cry, I can`t tell you how many times I have mistaken her cries and taken her out for toileting only to see her shudder and dive back in. She also wakes me up because she keeps checking I`m breathing, again so many times I`m woken with a deerhound snout in my face. And yes I know she should sleep downstairs but she is family. This odd behaviour started about 3 months ago . Anybody experienced anything similar? The only strange fact I have on the cottage is that when the previous occupants husband died the lady of the house refused to sleep here at night and would walk a mile or so to her sisters .
I look forward to all opinions however spooky.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41723 by Pho
Pho replied the topic: I see dead people.....
Greetings Maggiemac!

Sorry to hear that your home is unsettled.

I'm hearing that pathetic DH cry at this very moment from one of my girls who is also being very clingy. In my case its due to hormones and will pass. But for now, like you, I've been taking her out when she whines only to have her run back inside due to the cold. Could some of Aiofe's behavior be due to hormones?

A few years back some mice got into the home when the weather turned cold. Each night the girls would pick up on them about the same time each night until I evicted the mice. Could come of Aiofe's behavior be really due to mice or other nocturnal animal that's in the wall? Or, if the wall is an external wall, is there something happening outside that Aiofe senses and responds to that you are unaware of?

After three months of odd behavior, could Aiofe just be "stuck" in a new pattern of behavior? If so, you may wish to try getting her involved in an activity that you both enjoy before she has a chance to start the unwanted behavior. This will give you both something positive to focus on and distract from the unwanted behavior.

Finally, if you do feel that the issue is spirits, then you may wish to consider a home blessing. Someone from your faith can do one for you; or, you can do one yourself.

I do hope you get to the bottom of things and that both you and Aiofe enjoy a peaceful and relaxing home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: maggiemac

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41724 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: I see dead people.....
Hi Pho, no mice or rather no evidence of mice. The other thing I should have mentioned is she doesn't react the same way if all the lights are on, which of course adds to the atmosphere. She`ll come up to the bedroom and stand about 6ft away from the wall and just stare, she concentrates so hard, no encouragement or treat offer will pull her away. I obviously speak to her, she acknowledges I`m there , whines and goes back to staring at the wall. The wall isn't hollow, there isn't a cavity for anything to live in ,its just brick and plaster. Its the whole wall too not just a certain area. Here I am well after 1am and she`s still unsettled. Tonight in fact she has been going between her basket downstairs and her basket upstairs like a jack-in-the-box! I know she`s tired because we`ve walked and walked today and Aoife has been "off road" loads.
I don't really think its hormonal but I could be wrong. Do your DH`s wag their tails much? Aoife doesn't really but as I write she is standing at the foot of the bed looking straight at the wall and wagging her tail. There is no sound of anything, its just weird. Not worrying...just really weird.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41725 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: I see dead people.....
Hi Maggiemac,

Maybe there are sounds in great distances or with high frequency or vibrations, which we can not hear as people.

Another possibility would be that the mice have passages in the wall.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41726 by maggiemac
Hi Joerg, yes maybe but one would assume other dogs nearby would be affected and as far as I know its just Aiofe. I`m close to an RAF base so it might be something to do with that . The house is old and solid, my hearing is pretty normal I would have thought if it was tiny mice feet I would hear it too. Its raining heavy today so she doesn't want to go outside which is just as well as she is wall watching and whimpering. She has caught mice in the past (usually on our walks) and I know both her hearing and sight is a gazillion times better than mine so maybe it is an animal of some kind. Still it would be nice to there think she has extra-sensory perception?

More
4 years 8 months ago #41727 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: I see dead people.....
Hi Maggiemac
You say that Aoife started this about 3 months ago, so that would be October which is when the temperature goes down and when field mice start looking for a warm place to pass the winter. Our house is about 140 years old and has solid stone walls about 3 foot thick . Mice come in every year at that time and we have to get rid of them as they can chew wiring and cause a fire apart from being unhygenic. They nibble away at the cement and insulation and sometimes we can hear them. A mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil so there may well be channels big enough for them behind your plaster or between the bricks. Bats could be a possibilty as well but if it is you have to be careful not to disturb them as they are protected.
Don't be sorry for Aoife sleeping in your bedroom. One of mine always has and I would be very surprised if most of the people on the forum did not share their bedrooms with their hounds.
We have never found any mouse poos inside the house by the way, they are just in the wall and roof cavity.
If it is a ghost at least it is a friendly one if Aoife wags her tail at it.
Best of luck
Wendy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, maggiemac

More
4 years 8 months ago #41728 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: I see dead people.....
I believe that dogs can sense a lot of things that we can't. Firstly, there is no reason why Aoife should not sleep in your bedroom. I have my 4 in my bedroom and find this very comforting as do they.

I have had a similar experience soon after my husband died. My lurcher at the time did exactly what you describe Aoife doing. In the end my local vicar came and blessed my house and my lurcher stopped doing this. It is quite chilling when they fixate on a particular spot and start wagging their tails, whining or barking.

The only comfort I can offer is the old saying of 'it is not the dead that can harm us, only the living'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS, Ironstone, maggiemac

More
4 years 8 months ago #41729 by Pho
Greetings once again!

I think everyone has given you some wonderful feedback to help you. Please give Greycloud's post some thought. I think it can give you some peace of mind which will help you sort things out.

Do my girls wag their tails? Constantly. I'm lucky to have a happy and content group of girls. East is in season and is the whiney clingy girl right now. If you firmly tell her to stop her whine and settle down, she'll start to wag her tail because she's happy to have my attention. She'll also wag her tail whenever she's being lectured. I can never be firm with her when she does that. It's all too funny.

Like others, the girls are in the bedroom unless like East right now they are in season. I'm even worst. I let them all in bed as well. They all gather around the bed at night and wait for me to settle in. Then one at a time is told its o.k. to jump in. I have a quilt on the bed that's washed regularly and keeps the rest of the bed clean. It's extra work, but to hear a low moan of pure contentment as one of the girls stretches out in the middle of the night is priceless to me as it tells me that all is well and good in the home. If one of the girls gets up at night and leaves the bed, I'll have a deerie staring at me inches from my face until I wake up. Basically, someone is asking if they can come back into bed. Unless it's West, who will also do the same if she needs to go out in the middle of the night.

Once again, I do hope you do get things settled in the home and that you and Aiofe enjoy a more relaxing and peaceful home soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS, maggiemac

More
4 years 8 months ago #41731 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: I see dead people.....
Interesting thread MaggieMac. I'd certainly opt for the house blessing but until then sprinkle rose water at all the openings to the cottage including doorways, windows, fireplaces and along the wall that is capturing Aiofe's attention.

Do you have vines along the outside walls of your cottage, or shrubs or likewise vegetation because rats and whatnot may be climbing them at night, not coming indoors at all, but simply out foraging for food. That's why I've moved my birdfeeders as far away from my house as possible. Learned this the hard way!

Ironstone Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS, Joerg Yoki, maggiemac, greycloud

More
4 years 8 months ago #41733 by greycloud
I have not heard of sprinkling rosewater - what does it do?

More
4 years 8 months ago #41735 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: I see dead people.....
What does rose water do Greycloud? Why it keeps the ghosties out of course! One could also burn wild sage, kind of smudge the smoke around the room to clear out unwanted entities. Or picture white light surrounding you and loved ones (deerhounds) in a protective shell. Up to the individual whether they want to believe this stuff or not. People tell me these things and I file them away in the brain. :lol: Personally I'd prefer not to believe in ghosts but my English ancestors certainly had a number of fascinating tales about sharing their homes with ethereal beings. Made for amusing dinner conversations if nothing else!

Ironstone Deerhounds

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41736 by maggiemac
Hi everyone, thank you all for your input. Yes there is a climbing shrub on the wall she stares at so could be mice. But you`d have to see her and know her for you not to believe thats the problem. I don't think she would be very interested if it was mice, mainly she`s quite live and let live, I have seen her completely ignore a massive rat which I would have thought she would have dispatched on sight, on the other hand she`d never ever leave a pheasant if she got the chance.
Greycloud-your are right about the living.
I like the idea of sprinkling rosewater but I think its meant to be holy water isn't it?
Last night it was after 4am when she finally settled and tonight she has already retired to the foot of my bed-no staring at walls, however she is not asleep, more sphinx like ,vigilant.
Aoife is the funniest most loving animal you could wish for but she doesn't waste tail wagging she prefers to show her pearly white teeth in approval of pretty much anything. I do find staring and wagging her tail disconcerting but I`m not intimidated just bewildered and tired. I`ve tried changing our routine at night but its difficult when the inevitable outcome is I have to go to bed and she has to settle too.
Greycloud how did you broach the subject of a house blessing with the vicar? As I am a confirmed atheist my request would probably be scorned, what do you think?
I don't want to believe that a blessing is necessary however if this continues to happen I might have to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS

More
4 years 8 months ago #41738 by greycloud
I am like you, an aesthiest and when my husband died (suddenly aged 46) my local vicar came to my house and I was rather rude to him telling him that I did not want to hear rubbish like God wanted him for a reason ect ect. Vicar was very good and understanding so I felt that I could approach him about the problem. He did a simple blessing which took about 5 minutes.

There is a local lady who has 2 greyhounds and had a similar problem. The greyhounds now wear little wooden crosses on their collars.

I have to say that this is an interesting thread but I do symphatise with you as you must feel worn out and as much as we love them, there is nothing more irritating than a deerhound whining and whinging during the night when all you want to do is sleep.

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41739 by maggiemac
I`m m so sorry you lost your husband at such a shockingly young age, you must have been devastated, how we need our animals at times like that is beyond accountable.

My husband mentally and physically abused me for almost 40 years and still didn't have the good grace to perish , he like so many of his ilk left, took all that was valuable and left me bereft with 3 jack russells,3 horses and various poultry, geese, ducks etc. It has taken me 5 years to start any kind of life. And thank you Aiofe because it is her that has given me the will to continue .
And back in the room....
This morning my almost 19 year old jack Russell died, very very peacefully .
Both Aiofe, and Bosun`s brother Boycie (also almost 19) said goodbye very tenderly and I have buried him in the garden where I shall plant for-get-me-nots. I believe that animals have a need for closure much as we do.
When I started this link I didn't think anyone would have had a similar experience of this odd behaviour and as always gladdened to know that I am not alone. Thank you friends.x

More
4 years 8 months ago #41740 by Pho
MaggieMac,

With all that is happening, please keep an eye on your baby's ability to pee. East is heading into the Vets because late yesterday she started to whine, I went to take her out. While prancing about while I was getting my coat she had her first accident in the house. She still wanted to pee once out. Cleaned up the mess went to bed, in the middle of the night she hopped out of bed and her bladder emptied on her when she hit the floor. She's able to hold her urine, but I'm taking her out frequently to keep her bladder empty so that pressure does not build up on her.

If you notice any changes in your girl's ability or frequency to urinate, please give your vet a call. Especially, since you mentioned your girl was acting like East, whining, going out and doing nothing but heading back to the house.

I'll be off line for a bit while I focus on my baby. Just wanted to give you a heads up.to keep an eye out for possible medical issues that might be masked by other events in the home.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41741 by Pho
Oh MaggieMac,

I'm so sorry. I just read your message after writing my message to you. There are tears being shed for you and your loved one.

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41742 by maggiemac
Thanks Pho , hope East mends quickly big hug from Aiofe and me.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41743 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: I see dead people.....
Hi MaggieMac

I'm sorry to read, about the loss of your Jack Russell Terriers.
Run free.

Joerg and Yoki + Lucy

More
4 years 8 months ago #41744 by greycloud
I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your Jack Russell. Do you think that Aoife knew that he was about to pass and that is why she has been so unsettled? Just a thought..

When I took my then lurcher to my husbands grave, he used to stare at the grave very intently and whine and that's what convinced me that dogs are very intuitive.

Be kind to yourself and hugs sent from us here in Wales

• maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41745 by maggiemac
Thank you for your kind words. Perhaps Aiofe knew I cant say, perhaps she`ll settle better tonight. I`ll post again tomorrow.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.870 seconds