• Pho
  • Pho's Avatar Topic Author
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 3 months ago #41684 by Pho
Pho created the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
Hi everyone!

I had been pondering about adding a thread to the Health Issues section; but would like everyone's thoughts on whether or not its a good idea first.

We already have a sticky on Hints; but, I was thinking about a new sticky where we can list our home remedies that worked in a standardized format such as:

Remedy: Coconut Oil

Heath Issues: Minor skin rashes, irritation, cuts, scraps and wounds

Treatment: Gently wash area with warm water and soap (a drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid or the like will remove greasy residues on skin and hair). Apply coconut oil on the area. If need be, apply a bandage to keep area clean.

Comments: Coconut oil is safe to ingest, provides a protective layer to the area, has anti baterial, fungal and virus properties and acts as an anti-inflammatory.

Personal Experience: Red skin rashes on paws (toe knuckles) either disappeared or greatly improved within 24 hours.

The initial post in the thread can include a disclaimer that the information is not to replace medical assistance and is merely for informational purposes. A note on how to search the tread can also be included to aid others.

It is hoped that such a thread would grow overtime, the standard format would help others using the site's and internet's search features, and any home remedy posted can be discussed as a separate thread with any changes in the sticky posting being altered based on the separate discussion.

Well that's my thoughts. What do you think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 3 months ago #41685 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
I think that it is a good idea as long as folk realise that it does not replace vet advice dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Joerg Yoki, Pho

More
4 years 3 months ago #41686 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
Good idea Pho. The format you've proposed is very formalized and would prove quite useful to those on the hunt for information. I am more of a casual commenter, don't know if I would apply the discipline required to arrange my thoughts in this way, and yet I acknowledge the wisdom of it!

I notice that coconut oil is becoming a popular remedy for sight hound issues. Just this week a greyhound breeder told me she puts coconut oil on her dogs' food everyday and it has resulted in wonderful coats. Possibly owing to my half Italian background my deerhounds have always been given olive oil and their coats have been lovely.

Costco here in Canada and the US offers very large containers of coconut oil at a reasonable price. I've wondered how on earth one would get through these quantities but I see if we were putting in on our dogs' food everyday ...

Ironstone Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: wallace, Brodie, Joerg Yoki, Pho

• Pho
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 3 months ago #41689 by Pho
Pho replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
Thank you Ironstone and greycloud for your comments. Looking forward to hearing from others so that we have their input as well.

Ironstone, here the pet stores are now selling coconut oil for pets in very small jars at a very high price. I myself use a 52 oz container of the oil. The girls like it in their kibble, its great for my dry winter skin, and I use it in cooking. Try a baked sweet potato with cinnamon and coconut oil. Yum. The oil unlike other types of oil does not go rancid so having it over time is o.k. Olive oil is another oil I give the girls when I make them pasta. Its also very good for them as you say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wallace, Ironstone, Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 3 months ago #41696 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
Sounds a good idea to me as well. I like to think that 37 years in the Fire Service has resulting in me not panicking, although I admit I'm a bit of a softy with my dogs but despite owning them for 40 years I would not have many tips other than Benylin for coughs n dilute tea tree oil for limb cuts etc. Be interested in what others have to say though. :)

Wigster n San x
The following user(s) said Thank You: wallace, Joerg Yoki, Pho

More
4 years 3 months ago #41697 by wallace
wallace replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
Dont forget the good old kolin for upset tums cheap and cheerful but works well and is not harmful as mainly chalk. dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, Pho, greycloud

More
4 years 3 months ago #41699 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
Hello Pho,

I think all health tips are welcome.

For large problems, of course, a VET should be consulted.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pho

More
4 years 3 months ago #41703 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
I have just been in Holland and barrett and at the moment coconut oil is buy one 16oz jar for £15 and get another for 1p :)

I actually use it on my skin which is stupidly sensitive, but I am fine with it :) but I think I will try a bit in my greyhounds food, see if it helps her baldy bits as she loved it when I gave her a bit to try :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, Pho, greycloud

• Pho
  • Yearling Boarder
  • Yearling Boarder
More
4 years 3 months ago #41704 by Pho
Pho replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
Brodie - I think your tips are important as with the point Wallace made. I think each of us has one or two things we've learned over the years that help us provide the best care for our deeries.

To Everyone - Thank you for your input. I too want to make sure that proper Vet care is consulted and sought. I think I can come up with better wording for the thread to better reflect this point. For example, ditch 'home remedies' for something like 'pearls of wisdom' in order to keep things away from 'medical treatment'. I'm still going to wait on additional comments from others and will post a re-worded format that hopefully will better reflect the need for Vet care and de-emphasize medical treatment to replace Vet care. WIth this in mind:

Any thoughts on a good maybe quirky title for the thread? I.E. "Parenting Tips For Your Deerie"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 3 months ago - 4 years 3 months ago #41705 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
Good idea Pho

I've recently had my Greyhound eating coal and on checking it out found that many dogs do this. Essentially it is harmless so long as no chemicals have been added in processing. I understand that charcoal is a great aid to their digestion and also removed toxins from bodies. There are charcoal tablets for humans which can be given to dogs, a friend swears by them and gives her dogs 1 each per meal, they are fed twice daily!

Another tip I've picked up over the years is un-pasteurised Apple cider vinegar (with mother, ie with bacteria intact). A few teaspoons can be added to their food and thre are many benefits. See link
touchnpaws.com/benefits-o...r-for-your-dog/

You can make your own vinegar from any surplus apples that may grow in your garden. It's fairly easy. We have tons of apples left so rather than letting them rot we make unpasteurised apple cider vinegar and sell what we don't use on ebay!

Rob B
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by Robb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Joerg Yoki, greycloud

More
4 years 3 months ago #41713 by Dylan
Dylan replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
With reference to the charcoal..and do check this out in case I am mistaken. I have been informed it is excellent to use and as you say binds to toxins however I was told not to be used daily as there is the potential for it to also remove minerals from the body as well. I think I was told about twice a week with humans or if you were going to eat out at a restaurant. Not trying to correct anyone here again just putting forward information I have been told. So I guess like everyone has said great to share ideas info , just do your research or check with a vet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb

More
4 years 3 months ago #41715 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Input on possible new thread - Health Issues
I'd agree with Dylan that it's best to check with your vet. There does seem to be many contradictory points of view regarding its use.

Rob B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 1.612 seconds