Collars and play

• WendyS
  • WendyS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41374 by WendyS
WendyS created the topic: Collars and play
There has been some discussion on the American based Deerhound Digest about deerhounds wearing collars when running free and playing. There were several examples of dogs getting their teeth caught in another dogs collar resulting in serious injury and even death as they panic to free themselves. Several people recommended using wide reflective collars that can have an address written on with a marker pen, the main advantage being that they fasten with velcroe and so the dogs can free themselves if they get caught on something. It is something that has not occurred to me before and I wondered if anybody has any thoughts or experience of accidents being caused by collars.
I'm wondering if I should invest in some of these reflective collars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, greycloud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41375 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Collars and play
I've had a quick look on the internet and I think the collars that were being recommended may have been reflective straps for joggers or cyclists which have velcroe fastenings.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 8 months ago #41382 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Collars and play
I know of one instance where two littermates became entangled in one another's collars and one was strangled to death as a result. This is a Canadian example from several years ago and I should think it highly unusual. Surely this sort of thing cannot be happening regularly can it? I always keep my sighthound collars quite loose so that the dogs can back out of them if need be. That is protection against tangles but also in case someone grabs them and they need to escape. On the other hand I know breeders who keep the collars quite tight and they feel that is protection against tangles. So we have the same problem with two opposite solutions! Velcro collars may work too. Certainly the reflective tape on them is an excellent safety mesaure for evening walks.

Ironstone Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS, Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 8 months ago #41383 by KimC
KimC replied the topic: Collars and play
My dogs always wear collars. Furthermore my borzois are of the fearful type that wil run off if they vback out of the colar in a panich. I make the collars so tight that they cant get off, and cant get caught. I have checked with my vet how tight the colars can be made without danger or discomfort, and so tight they remain. Never had any problems that way.

One of my dogs once had an incident with another dog wearing a very lose collar, His foreleg got caught in the collar, and the other dog turned around, thus locking his leg. We had a lot of trouble getting them apart, and both had severe pain.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41386 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Collars and play
Hi. Our girl never wears a collar at home nor in the garden. She has one only if we are walking where she needs to be on a lead. A fried had a dog which was left in the garage by mistake when she was gardening. When she realised and went to get him. He had jumped up and caught his collar on a hook and strangled himself.

There is a tragic tale in the new Deerhound magazine. Two DHs playing in their garden. One got caught on the gate latch as they played but ripped a large amount of flesh off as he tried to get off, and despite getting to a vets within minutes, could not be saved. I feel so sorry for his poor owner, who was there and got him straight to the vets.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, WendyS, Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #41388 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: Collars and play

Ironstone wrote: I know of one instance where two littermates became entangled in one another's collars and one was strangled to death as a result. This is a Canadian example from several years ago and I should think it highly unusual. Surely this sort of thing cannot be happening regularly can it? I always keep my sighthound collars quite loose so that the dogs can back out of them if need be. That is protection against tangles but also in case someone grabs them and they need to escape. On the other hand I know breeders who keep the collars quite tight and they feel that is protection against tangles. So we have the same problem with two opposite solutions! Velcro collars may work too. Certainly the reflective tape on them is an excellent safety mesaure for evening walks.

I believe this has also happened in the UK on a couple of occasions. Once ending with a dead pup. My dogs do not wear collars unless they go out !

Wigster n San x
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Brodie.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41389 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Collars and play
Thank you Wendy, for opening this interesting thread.

Our hounds are inside the fenced land with no collar.
Outside the fenced property with a collar and leash.

But we had the problem, that a Greyhound was in the last month outside on a neighbour ground.
I was now thinking about GSM collars.
It is not so easy.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS

More
4 years 8 months ago #41391 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Collars and play
Thanks for the heads up Wendy - I will now be removing their collars when they are in the house/garden and only putting them on when we go out. How tragic the stories are about hounds getting strangled and injured as a result of collars :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, WendyS, Joerg Yoki

• WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41394 by WendyS
My hounds always wear their collars when out and I have always left them on when they are off lead in the hills or on the beach because it is a legal requirement that they have collars on with their address on them in a public place. They do play so roughly that the discussion on the deerhound digest has left me worried. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41395 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Collars and play
This is scary, my husband always takes both leads and collars off when we are out, I usually just take the lead off. They never wear them indoors.

I must admit I don't have tags on collars, though I know I should do. My husband was always worried that the collars could snag on a tree and cause injury.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41396 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: Collars and play
I like mine to have a collar (with appropriate identification as required)on when out, firstly it identifies them should we get parted, I also micro-chip mine as well. Another benefit is that in the event of them bolting for what ever reason it makes them easier to catch ( assuming they are not running at 30mph ). I just don't leave them with a collar at home. Possible disadvantage of wearing then at home is choking if caught on any object + possibility of wearing hair spoiling appearance :)

Wigster n San x

More
4 years 8 months ago #41398 by chook
chook replied the topic: Collars and play
You could always use a breakaway collar.

petsafety.co.uk/safety%20collars/

Jane
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS, crackadog, Joerg Yoki

• WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41402 by WendyS
Jane thank you so much. These collars look really good. I've not seen them before.
Have you used them?
I think I will get some because if there was an accident with their collars now, I would never forgive myself.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41415 by chook
chook replied the topic: Collars and play

WendyS wrote: Jane thank you so much. These collars look really good. I've not seen them before.
Have you used them?
I think I will get some because if there was an accident with their collars now, I would never forgive myself.

Ive never used them but a friend used to make them and they do brake away quite easily under pressure.

Jane

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.777 seconds