Alfie

More
4 years 11 months ago #41279 by KC
KC created the topic: Alfie
Just had to put my beautiful boy Alfie to sleep on Wednesday evening he was only 3 years 10 months. We are absolutely devastated he was an absolute gentleman. He was just starting to settle down nicely and was becoming more handsome by the day. Over the last few weeks he started to pant a lot and he became very restless so I took him to the vets and his temperature was high which we got under control following a course of antibiotics but the panting and laboured breathing still continued. On Tuesday evening he started to be sick and not want to eat so on Wednesday morning I took him to the vets first thing. They were very worried and decided to lightly sedate him and do bloods and a chest x-ray. I picked him up that evening to be told he had a massive tumour in his chest cavity which was very fast growing and aggressive. They explained the options e.g. chemo etc. I took him home that night but unfortunately as the night went on his breathing got worse. The chemo was never going to cure his condition and I did not want to put my beautiful boy through any more stress. We decided to put him to sleep and took him straight to the emergency vets that evening. Gutted !!!!!!!! Alfie was my first deerhound and what an impression he has left on me I don't think I will ever get over him. My other lovely boy Ollie is quite quiet at the moment - he is only 13 months. He must be wondering what is happening. When he arrived with us we had Alfie and a lovely Dobermann bitch called Kiera. Unfortunately Kiera had to be put to sleep in July she was 11.5 years old and had an enlarged heart. We have gone from 3 dogs to 1 in 4 months. Thanks for listening.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #41280 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: Alfie
That is so awful. ((((((Big hugs))))))

I do hope your other one will be OK, they really miss their friends. A couple of ours in the past have gone off food so badly when their companion died that they looked like RSPCA cases.

I still miss my first DH too, and she passed many years ago.

Hugs again KC. I am so very sorry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KC

More
4 years 11 months ago #41281 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Alfie
Very sorry to hear this KC.
Run free Alfie.

Joerg

More
4 years 11 months ago #41282 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Alfie
So sorry.

More
4 years 11 months ago #41284 by BethC
BethC replied the topic: Alfie
Poor all of you - big hugs and ear rubs to everyone. No doubt Alfie will be causing special Deerhound havoc somewhere! xx

More
4 years 11 months ago #41285 by KB
KB replied the topic: Alfie
I started writing and have deleted about 4 attempts now, I have no words but your news made me cry.

I'm so very sorry, Deerhounds are such wonderful characters it's too much to think of saying goodbye.

Lots and lots of love to you.
xxxxxx

More
4 years 11 months ago #41286 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Alfie
its so heartbreaking, we don't have long enough with them as it is, but to lose one so young is even more devastating, but you did the right thing, we love them far too much to see them suffer. My thoughts are with you, its been 8 months since I lost my best friend and I'm still not over it, it still brings tears in my eyes when I think of him or look at photo's, but we do also have a giggle at the naughty things he did, so it does ease.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trowsahound, KC

More
4 years 11 months ago #41287 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Alfie
I'm so sorry that you've lost Alfie at such a young age. I lost my Deerhound last year and I thought that was young, he was 7 1/2 years. His memories will be forever with you, they make such a big impression, you must be devasted.

Rob B

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago #41288 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: Alfie
OMG I am horrified - poor you what a dreadful experience I am so sad to hear about it. As I read your story here upstairs in our office, all three of mine started howling downstairs, they usually only do this if the house is empty, I think they have picked up that a very tragic thing has happened to one of their kind. Try to remember the good times, but they DO leave a very large sad and empty space when they go :(

More
4 years 11 months ago #41289 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Alfie
Feel so sorry for you, and for poor Ollie to lose his pal. Alfie was very young to go like this, but better to go to sleep peacefully than to go on suffering. Thinking of you.

More
4 years 11 months ago #41290 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: Alfie
What more can be said......your sad loss affects us all, like KB we share your grief & feel we must respond but find works difficult to find. Like Crackadog says you have made the right (even if painfull) decision. As Robb says you will have memories for ever. I too hope Beth C is right & Alfie is running round, pain free with all the other dogs enjoying their selves.
Sending best wishes with a tear in my eye dh:)

Wigster n San x

More
4 years 11 months ago #41292 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Alfie
I'm so very very sorry. Lots of hugs to you all.

More
4 years 11 months ago #41293 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Alfie
What awfully sad news but you have done the right thing by Alfie - run free you gorgeous deerhound and hugs to you all.

More
4 years 10 months ago #41408 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: Alfie
Sorry to hear your sad news

More
4 years 9 months ago #41576 by Wanda
Wanda replied the topic: Alfie
I am very sorry for you. That seems to be more one can bear. :(

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.727 seconds