Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41128

Whilst out and about yesterday I met a lovely lurcher/collie cross. She was the same size of a collie but with a slightly stockier less wiry frame than lurchers and deerhounds but with the same muzzle and ears as a lurcher/deerhound. Gorgeus looking and now wish I had taken a photo to share! She was mostly white with grey and dark patches. I stroked her and remarked what a lovely coat she had. I presumed that the collie in her gave her a much softer coat than the wiry & rough coat of most lurchers and deerhounds but her owner did tell me she was especially soft because she had recently been groomed and had her coat trimmed at the end of the summer. I know it is not common to have deerhounds trimmed but I am really eagre to get Jack clipped. He moults profousely all year round and his hair gets absolutely everywhere. We have a downstairs bathroom that has tiled walls and flooring and his hair sticks to all of that (even though he doesnt go into the bathroom) as we have to leave the door open to prevent damp after showering/steam. It gets in food and on all the work surfaces and has embedded onto the carpet and all the soft furnishings and has caused the demise of two hoovers! It also builds up in any cracks such as gaps between the fridge and the wall/washing machine and the cupboards etc. I brush him 1-2x a week and he is washed every couple of months. He absolutely hates being washed and it is a real pain doing it outside because of access to luke warm water (he shakes and goes very strange when I tried it once on a hot day in summer with cool water). He also has always been a lazy pee-er and pees all over his underside and legs because he reguarly doesnt cock his leg up properly so as you can imagine he doesn't smell pleasent either and causes pee stains on any fabrics he lays on. As we both work full time and in winter time have to walk him in the dark it is just not practical to wash him after every trip outside or walk.

So a new place has opened up in our village attached to our vets that grooms, washes, clips dogs. What do I ask for? I know it is not typical for deerhounds to be clipped but he is a pet and not a show dog. Any ideas what I should ask for. With most dogs you'd just expect the groomers to know how to clip the breed but I'm going to guess they've never seen a deerhound before!

Thanks for any advice dh:)
  • buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
dh:) ||Sophie and Jack the 2yr old DH|| dh:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41129

Also meant to add that I do use an undercoat stripper (can't remember the real name for it!) that a user on hear recommended to me ages ago. It pulls out the dead coat. I haven't noticed less shedding since using it unfortunately but he does look 'tidier' after a groom and a strip!
  • buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41131

Personally I would leave it until spring if you are going to have him clipped as he will almost certainly feel the cold if he is clipped now. He will appreciate it if we have a hot summer next year.
Also beware, their coat seems to grow thicker after clipping and therefore may not help with the shedding. I have never clipped my hounds but I did used to clip my beardies sometimes in the spring for their comfort rather than mine as they did not like the heat.
I would have a chat with the groomer and find out if they will do hand stripping. I know a lot don't as it is very labour intensive.
Having said that, all that grey fluff on the floor is part and parcel of owning deerhounds and while I don't particularly like it I can't imagine the dreadful alternative of having no deerhounds. :whistle: :whistle:
  • WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
The following user(s) said Thank You: buttershy, greycloud, Ebba

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41132

Ah, those tumbleweeds of grey fluff to vac every day :) As Wendy says, it is part and parcel of owning a deerhound. I suppose they are all different but I've always thought that DH's barely moult at all compared with other breeds. I agree that you should probably wait 'til Spring as he would be cold. Do think about it carefully though. What about the legs and tail, the head? Will you have those areas clipped? He is going to look rather odd to say the least. I bet it'll cost an arm and a leg as well.

Regarding his stinky undercarriage: I wash ours underneath with shampoo about every 10 days. In between times I use that spray-on foamy shampoo stuff. Just rub it in (wearing rubber gloves - it's less unpleasant that way) and quickly towel dry. Takes 2 minutes and alleviates the pong and stain problem.
  • Bodhranlady
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 136
The following user(s) said Thank You: fergus, buttershy

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41133

Glad I am not the only one constantly hoovering and sweeping up all that gray fluff! Will wait till Spring then-do your deerhounds show that they feel the cold? Ours never has (or we've not picked up on it!?) but definitly feels the heat that's for sure. I'm not talking a full blown shave-as like you said the legs and head would look very odd! I guess I would hope the groomer was able to blend it all together. Shame you think it will be so pricey-I'm enquiring how much just a good wash will be now it is cold here and extra unpleasent for all involved to wash outside! Will let you know how much it costs, and the same with a quote for a cut in Spring. Whats the name of the spray foam shampoo, being non rinse it sounds fab! Also, so surprised you find your DH's barely moult-ours moults much more the retrievers I've had in the past and more than spaniels and setters I know too! (and I'm not lazy with housework I sweep and hoover every day!) xxx
  • buttershy
  • Under Graduate Boarder

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41134

This is strange as I have never had a problem with excessive moulting. I give mine a good brush twice a week and wash the boys 'man bits' once a week. I also use the waterless shampoo from PAH - just squirt on dollops, work it into the fur and brush it out.
A friend had an IW and she clipped his body in the summer but left his head and legs - he looked so silly!
Personally, I wouldn't clip or strip my hounds fur but I hope you manage to find a solution dh:)
  • greycloud
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 158

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41149

Im laughing reading this! Murphy died last March and Im still finding his grey hair, I'd rather have him though!!!

As for his man bits, I used to use clippers on his under carriage only, give him a good wash down there and clip off his 'winky' hair and down his legs. If the hair is left to grow in that region, then it acts as a filter for his wee, so he will wee and it will filter down his legs. If its clipped off, it doesn't do it. We used to call it his brazillian.

I used a coat king on his coat and it took out alot of excess coat and smartened him up, I wouldn't have him clipped if I were you, show dog or not.

As the others have said, its part and parcel owning a Deerhound!
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
The following user(s) said Thank You: fergus, greycloud

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41150

Lurch8252 wrote:
Im laughing reading this! Murphy died last March and Im still finding his grey hair, I'd rather have him though!!!

As for his man bits, I used to use clippers on his under carriage only, give him a good wash down there and clip off his 'winky' hair and down his legs. If the hair is left to grow in that region, then it acts as a filter for his wee, so he will wee and it will filter down his legs. If its clipped off, it doesn't do it. We used to call it his brazillian.

I used a coat king on his coat and it took out alot of excess coat and smartened him up, I wouldn't have him clipped if I were you, show dog or not.

As the others have said, its part and parcel owning a Deerhound!

oh Lurch, you should never give a male a 'Brazilian' ........when the sun shines he will look like a 'sun dial' :)
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 715
Wigster n San x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252, greycloud

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41154

Stripping a deerhound is much work, doing all the hound in one time is crazy. And for the hound and for the person that has to do it.
You can only strip a deerhound when is coat is ready for it.
If the person is not usually stripping dogs, they will use scissors, what is dreadful for the coat of a deerhound.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Bodhranlady

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41161

We had a "Woolly" and the only way to keep her comfortable in the summer was to take the whole lot off.

Ever wondered what a clipped Deerhound looked like ?

See photo

• Roughyed
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252, Brodie, WendyS, Joerg and Yoki, fergus

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41164

Ah, beautiful!!!!
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41170

I have had contact with deerhounds that have been 'clipped for comfort', different, but special. Lovely photo, thanks for sharing dh:)
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 715
Wigster n San x

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41176

She is beautiful.
  • WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 2 months ago #41184

As many 'Wooly' deerhounds she is looking marvellous.
But you can not strip a wooly, their coat is very different, from the wiry coat of a standard deerhound.

Stripping a deerhound, after winter, when there winter-coat is taking of, is not a bad idea. New summer-coat will come out, looking mostly better.
Whit a tool as a Fulminator, you can do yourself most of it. The good thing is that you can do it when ever you want, when you and your deerhound have enough of it you continue an other moment.
If you ask professional help, they do your deerhound in one time, continuing for hours. I do not like that.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123

grooming and cutting a deerhound's coat 4 years 1 month ago #41411

He's not a Deerhound, but I have a Border Terrier, my Mum also has 2. She gets her clipped and moult? my God, do they moult, they also feel fuzzy to touch. I strip my little fella every spring and he feels proper wirey and doesn't moult half as much as her two do.
They also look funny and not like Borders at all, where as mine is a typical border. Don't clip it!!!
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.289 seconds