• Joerg Yoki
  • Joerg Yoki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #41013 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki created the topic: DNA analysis
Hello,

Thank you Barb and Richard for your interesting informations in the Deerhound-List.

Citation with interesting links:
" ....An important outcome from the Mars Veterinary research are pure-breed DNA profiles for each breed. The results of a Mars Veterinary/Eurofins DNA survey authored by Dr. Barbara Wimmer, Eurofins Medigenomix GmbH (an affiliate of Mars) in Europe was recently released and it has some interesting results with implications to the Deerhound community. In a summary of the Wimmer study, posted online by the biologist and sighthound breeder Dr. Dominique de Caprona sloughi.tripod.com/preser...ndsgermany.html she notes the following <<34 samples were sent in, of which 25 were chosen as being the least related possible. The samples came from 13 German kennels and 2 British kennels [UK and the Republic of Ireland]. The results of these samples were compared with prior samples from UK Deerhounds and with other breeds. The cluster formed by Deerhound older and new samples is very tight, showing good homogeneity and probably a high degree of inbreeding. The results of the Scottish Deerhound stand away from other dog breeds and away from other Sighthound breeds. They also show that the Deerhound is distinct from the Irish Wolfhound, although they are closer to the Irish Wolfhound results than to other Sighthound breeds. One Deerhound sample stands between both breeds and was discarded (why? is the question).>> The breed cluster for Deerhounds and Irish Wolfhounds (and the "one Deerhound sample [that] stands between") can be seen on slide 23 in Wimmer's presentation on her research:
www.dwzrv.de/files/dr.wim...rv_2012_baw.pdf
Interesting...someone is crossbreeding IWs and SDHs and selling the progeny as purebred Deerhounds. ..." END

Link 1: sloughi.tripod.com/preser...ndsgermany.html

Link 2: www.dwzrv.de/files/dr.wim...rv_2012_baw.pdf

Link 3: www.dwzrv.de//files/info_meeting_2012_d.pdf (Deerhound)

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Joerg Yoki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: feldandjack, Brodie, WendyS, Ironstone, crackadog, Lieve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 8 months ago #41014 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: DNA analysis
Interesting summary and slide 23 Jeorg. The rest I will have to get my German friend to translate!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 8 months ago #41020 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: DNA analysis
I am sure deerhound breeders have mixed other breeds into the genie pool for a variety of reasons for many years. Some on the QT & others not so. To some it is acceptable & not others. i would expect this subject would be really heated or die a death instantly dh:)

Wigster n San x
The following user(s) said Thank You: feldandjack

More
4 years 8 months ago #41032 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: DNA analysis
Why only 2 British kennels? The breed is original Scottish.

• Joerg Yoki
  • Joerg Yoki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
4 years 8 months ago #41035 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: DNA analysis

Lieve wrote: Why only 2 British kennels? The breed is original Scottish.

Hi Lieve,

I think the study was commissioned by the DWZRV (German Sighthound Club)
and the old DNA references were all from UK kennels.

Reagrds
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Lieve

More
4 years 8 months ago #41041 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: DNA analysis
www.dwzrv.de/files/dr.wim...rv_2012_baw.pdf
"Interesting...someone is crossbreeding IWs and SDHs and selling the progeny as purebred Deerhounds. ..." END

It is well worth having a look at this study by following the links. Good to know that the deerhound stands out so solidly as a distinct breed. Still, I confess it bothers me when deerhounds are crossbred and it appears that someone in the study has done this very thing. What exactly is the point of crossbreeding I wonder? And I mean that as a sincere question and not an accusation. There must be good reasons for the practice, it's just that I personally cannot think of them. Any thoughts on this?

Ironstone Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

More
4 years 8 months ago #41042 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: DNA analysis
Some people think that the breeding bases are to small and they think that cross breeding will import new, fresh DNA.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds