• Spring
  • Spring's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 9 months ago #40960 by Spring
Spring created the topic: Discover Dogs
Hi all
A bit of a plea. Due to a late withdrawal we are looking for volunteers with Deerhounds to represent the breed at Discover Dogs, Earls Court, London, Sunday 10th November.
The main duties will be to man the stand and talk to the public about our fantastic breed. All dogs must be absolutely trustworthy and happy to lay in a fenced area in the booth, in what can be a busy, noisy environment..
You will get free entry and free parking near by.
It can be a long day so people for the morning and afternoon would be good.
If you would like to know more please pm me.
thanks

Spring
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #40964 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: Discover Dogs
it's a bit far for me to travel bud or i would. I have crewed the stand for half a day shared with a good friend of mine. I take two hounds with me & do the morning stint & then my friend arrives & looks after my dogs whilst I have a browse. I have done this for over ten years now & thoroughly enjoyed it. After all everyone wants to know about your hounds. Give it a go if you can, you will enjoy the experience I assure you. dh:)

Wigster n San x

More
4 years 9 months ago #40965 by Brodie

Brodie wrote: it's a bit far for me to travel bud or i would. I have crewed the stand for half a day shared with a good friend of mine. I take two hounds with me & do the morning stint & then my friend arrives & looks after my dogs whilst I have a browse. I have done this for over ten years now & thoroughly enjoyed it. After all everyone wants to know about your hounds. Give it a go if you can, you will enjoy the experience I assure you. dh:)

I meant to say at the NEC for Crufts :)

Wigster n San x

More
4 years 9 months ago #40971 by ronmanager
ronmanager replied the topic: Discover Dogs
We've signed up via Ness for the Sunday morning or afternoon with Santa but I have no details yet. We were going to it anyway so why not?

More
4 years 8 months ago #40990 by KB
KB replied the topic: Discover Dogs
I live round the corner from Earls Court and would be very happy to do the afternoon with Otto.

It'll be fun and I already spend most of my time telling people how the only difficulties to be had with Deerhounds is that they turn your heart to mush.

Let me know, it's very easy for us.

kb

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #40991 by KB
And I dont know why but all my posts and photos have disappeared. Otto is a three year old male, very used to London and devilishly handsome.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Joerg Yoki.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, Brodie, Joerg Yoki, Ebba

More
4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #40992 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Discover Dogs

KB wrote: And I dont know why but all my posts and photos have disappeared. Otto is a three year old male, very used to London and devilishly handsome.

Hello KB,

Thanks for news post and the very nice pictures from your Otto.

We had some time before the problem that the forum was hacked. Rob then recorded the new forum software and restored with much care the most forum posts.
But unfortunately it may be that some posts are gone lost. Sorry for this.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Joerg Yoki.

More
4 years 8 months ago #40993 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Discover Dogs
I love your stunning photos, he is indeed a handsome chap. Is the "blue" photo a professional one?

More
4 years 8 months ago #40994 by KB
Hacked! who on earth would hack a Deerhound forum!? Whatever for! The silly twits. I'm sorry to hear that, it such a shame. I realise it's all rather obsessive but sometimes, when Otto leaves the living room in favour of my bed, and I couldn't sit staring at his magnificents, I quite liked looking at photos of everyone else's Deerhounds instead. -Perhaps they've done me a favour and I'll get on with some work instead.

xx

More
4 years 8 months ago #40995 by KB
Hello crackadog. There is a photographer in the next studio to mine and being Irish he suffers from misguided sentimentality towards Otto and asked to use up his remaining film (I think it was medium format) on him. There was a mixture of daylight and a huge tungsten bulb and I'm assuming the photographer normalised the tungsten which brought out all the blue. I love it though, it reminds me of Julia Margaret Cameron's romantic photos of Alfred Tennyson. x

More
4 years 8 months ago #40998 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Discover Dogs
Hello KB,

I have found many pictures of your Otto in this thread: scottish-deerhound.com/fo...2-hotdogs#40558

But your old account is deleted.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

More
4 years 8 months ago #41000 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Discover Dogs
How lovely to see Otto back! I thought he had disappeared from the forum dh:)

More
4 years 8 months ago #41001 by KB
Hello Greycloud, poor Otto has had his owner under the most UNBELIEVABLE workload and his life was turned upside down for 2 whole months.
When I got him I always assumed a dog would hate central London proper (we live in leafy Notting Hill) but it turns out he LOVES Bloomsbury and tubes and generally strutting about in Soho. Then I realised, there's only one thing he loves more than playing with his best friend Ziggy or sleeping on my bed and that's being nosey and having a good old sniff.
I even had to take him in the rush hour on the tube and he made everyone happy and they didn't mind AT ALL him shoving his nose in all their pockets and checking them for sausages.

Deerhounds make everything better, even the rush hour.

But it's good to be back to normal now.
xx
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252, Brodie

More
4 years 8 months ago #41003 by Brodie
Great Pics KB thanks for sharing dh:)

Wigster n San x

More
4 years 8 months ago #41029 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Discover Dogs
I am sure Otto will enjoy manning the deerhound stand at Discover dogs and as he is so handsome he will surely attract a lot of attention. I have only been to Discover dogs once and I really enjoyed it but you have to go with loads of dosh as the merchandise is all so tempting. I had to laugh at the vision of Otto on a tube train :laugh: I hope he put a smile on the commuters faces as some of them could do with it!

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41190 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: Discover Dogs
How lovely to hear about Otto the sophisticated city hound, going on the tube and no doubt all the fancy restaurants!!! My lot live in remote rural north cornwall where we hardly ever see anyone or hear a car - not sure how they would cope with city life!

I remember going to 'Discover dogs' in London when at college, and being told that deerhounds were 'easy' to keep and didnt need any special facilities or space or anything.
Hmmmmmm..........................After my first deerhound many many years later, we ended up buying him a 10 acre farm, changed both our cars, had to severely restrict holidays, and never got to sit on our sofa ever again..........
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone, greycloud, Ebba

More
4 years 8 months ago #41194 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Discover Dogs
KB I would love to hear more stories about Otto the city hound. He sounds wonderful.
When my girls bound up to say hello and give people a good crutch sniffing they don't always get a smile. But then we live out in the wilds in the west of Scotland and they are often covered in peat bog by the end of a walk. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

More
4 years 8 months ago #41195 by KB
Hello Trowsahound and Wendy, I think city dogs and country dogs grow to be very different beasts. People have from time to time been quite forthcoming with their opinion that they thought it wasn't fair to keep a dog like Otto in London, to which I usually respond with my thoughts on what a peculiar trait humans seem have, that they confuse assumption with an education. Otto LOVES living in London. He is a very happy dog. He's very readable, he starts dancing along the pavement and I can tell he's got all excited about whether I am going to let him say hello to this next person he's spotted and whether he'll get a good ear rub out of it. BUT he is so sociable now and runs and plays so much with the friends we meet in the park, that when I take him to the country he just stares at all that space without any urge to run in it at all. If we're away for a few days we get quite desperate to get back so he can get some proper exercise again. I think they grow not just to become accustomed to the stimulus but actually depend on it.

Which rather embarrassingly is EXACTLY the same criticism that lots of London idiots have of the countryside, which is that it all looks nice but what do you do in it!?
I lived in the countryside before moving here and I love both and recently I questioned whether I could afford to stay here and if I might have to move. my biggest worry was what would Otto do without Ziggy (his best playmate)? -so I concluded, I'd have to get another Deerhound. Which would mean swapping the car for a van, I looked at Otto's bed and imagined two of them! and then I thought of how I could have two deerhounds sleeping on my bed?! and decided I best stay put.

Thankfully Otto isn't a crotch sniffer but he puts his head between peoples legs in an attempt to encourage an ear rub, but the innocence behind him putting it there is not always understood.

I'm looking forward to Sunday I think Otto will love it too, it'll be ear rubs akimbo!
xxx
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, WendyS, Joerg Yoki, Trowsahound

More
4 years 8 months ago #41204 by ronmanager
ronmanager replied the topic: Discover Dogs

Trowsahound wrote: How lovely to hear about Otto the sophisticated city hound, going on the tube and no doubt all the fancy restaurants!!! My lot live in remote rural north cornwall where we hardly ever see anyone or hear a car - not sure how they would cope with city life!

I remember going to 'Discover dogs' in London when at college, and being told that deerhounds were 'easy' to keep and didnt need any special facilities or space or anything.
Hmmmmmm..........................After my first deerhound many many years later, we ended up buying him a 10 acre farm, changed both our cars, had to severely restrict holidays, and never got to sit on our sofa ever again..........

We live in a very small house in Catford, South East London with a very small garden and have a blissfully happy 7 year old deerhound. She gets two walks a day in the park or woods where she runs about etc but once back home she's just after lazing about.

f you just want to be able to open the door and let your hound exercise itself then a farm is best. If you are able to take your hound out and about for it's walks then you can live anywhere with access to a park and London has parks all over the place. Our walks with Santa are the highlight of the day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, Joerg Yoki

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 8 months ago #41222 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: Discover Dogs
Yes I think it might actually be an advantage walking a deerhound in a city sometimes - because you don't have all the sodding sheep everywhere to worry about! I certainly don't just 'open the door and let them exercise themselves', but where we used to live in Dorset we used to walk them on the coastal path, a place which seemed to be the favourite haunt of the nations dog-haters, where one of mine was beaten over the back with a walking stick when he innocently sniffed some woman's hand, who then claimed he had attacked her! If you have not come across any of these types in the city, you're extremely lucky! After several encounters like that, I gave up walking on public footpaths altogether. I assumed it was the deerhound's size which created such terrible over-reactions, but having said that it happened with one of my smaller mutts also.

Ironically I find that Scotland is one of the hardest places to walk deerhounds - I go there a lot and am an avid walker, but I rarely find it safe to let them off with all the wild sheep and deer around, and complete lack of enclosures! City parks must be luxury!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.817 seconds