Pups Weight Gain

• Big Dog Lover
  • Big Dog Lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
5 years 3 weeks ago #40778 by Big Dog Lover
Big Dog Lover created the topic: Pups Weight Gain
Our deerhound wolfhound cross has put 1.8kg on in 10 days. She now weighs 6.8kg at 9 weeks old. The breeder told us to keep her growth slow as it would be better for her, we are keeping to the amounts she said to feed.

Does this seem a reasonable weight for her age?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #40824 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Pups Weight Gain
How is your puppy making out?

I don't know what would be a reasonable weight for a deerhound-wolfhound cross as who is to know which breed the dog will favour? Wolfhounds are much heavier than Deerhounds. Your vet is right in saying you don't want the puppy to gain weight too rapidly, but then again you don't want their little ribs sticking out either. I discovered that a kibble I'd been using for my Deerhounds for years and years was suddenly proving insufficient for my puppies, they were not gaining enough weight in my opinion. So I had to switch to another quality brand instead and problem solved. I think the old company changed its formula and I didn't notice since my older dogs were thriving (plus the adults got all sorts of human food too). I would pay close attention to the physical appearance of your puppy and adjust the amounts as necessary.

The other thing, to completely confuse the issue, is that some Deerhounds are heavier than others by way of their natural composition, and some stay skinny for life no matter how much food is offered to them!

Good luck. I hope you can post a picture for us.

Ironstone Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Big Dog Lover

More
5 years 1 week ago #40826 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: Pups Weight Gain
I would say that all would be well as long as the pups were neither skinny or carrying a lot of weight along the flanks. Regular feels during play & grooming required. :)

Wigster n San x

• Big Dog Lover
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
5 years 1 week ago #40829 by Big Dog Lover
Big Dog Lover replied the topic: Pups Weight Gain
Hi Ironstone & Brodie, the pups are doing fine. Freya (DHxWH) is putting on around 1.5kg a week at the moment. You can see a 'waist' on both pups and you can feel but not see their ribs. I've just taken these photo's, had them sat quietly as they have got a new bone! First photo Freya, second Freda and on the third they have just crashed. Bone chewing is tiring work.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, Brodie, Joerg Yoki, greycloud

More
5 years 1 week ago #40867 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Pups Weight Gain
Well that's my question answered because obviously Freya favours the Wolfhound in her blood line over the Deerhound. Such a sweet photo of the two of them sleeping next to one another on your furniture. Hope you've got a nice comfy chair set aside for your personal use because the sofa battle has been lost!

Ironstone Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Big Dog Lover

More
5 years 1 week ago #40875 by Brodie
it doesn't work like that...I have a computer chair & as soon as I get up the bedlingtons are on it like a shot !! We are cute though :whistle:

Wigster n San x
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, greycloud, Big Dog Lover

• Big Dog Lover
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
5 years 1 week ago #40879 by Big Dog Lover
Big Dog Lover replied the topic: Pups Weight Gain

Ironstone wrote: Well that's my question answered because obviously Freya favours the Wolfhound in her blood line over the Deerhound. Such a sweet photo of the two of them sleeping next to one another on your furniture. Hope you've got a nice comfy chair set aside for your personal use because the sofa battle has been lost!

Yes I agree she is looking more wolfhound every day. I was looking at photo's of a young wolfhound yesterday and she is so much like him apart from the legs, Freya's are a lot thinner. The next pup will be 100% deerhound, in about 2 years.

We were going to buy a new suite until we decided to get the pups. The settee is a large 4 seater and they are taking up 3/4 of it now when they spread out. We have even removed the back cushions to give them more room!!

Matching Bookends!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Joerg Yoki

More
5 years 1 week ago #40880 by Brodie
Fantastic pics & lovely pups :)

Wigster n San x

More
5 years 23 hours ago #40933 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Pups Weight Gain
What lovely pups. :laugh: :laugh:

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.643 seconds