Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: puppy toe fracture or sprain

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40441

MY 6MTH OLD DEERHOUND PUP IS LIMPING AND HIS LARGE 2ND TOE ON FRONT FOOT A LITTLE TENDER SWOLLEN AND PINK. I CHECKED IT AND IT IS NOT CUT. I'LL BE TAKING HIM TO THE VET BUT WANTED IDEAS FROM COMMUNITY ABOUT WHAT TO DO OR NOT TO DO . ANY EXPERIENCES AND OUTCOMES FROM YOU WOULD HELP. THANKS
  • marianne
The administrator has disabled public write access.

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40442

I`d try a cold compress, soak cotton wool in ice water,wring and strap loosely, the puppy will obviously remove it but you will just have to replace it, but try not to over tighten the strapping as blood needs to flow to the injury. Hopefully its just a sprain.
  • maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
The following user(s) said Thank You: marianne

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40445

Sorry to hear this - take him to the vet and get expert advice. It could be that he has an infection even if you can't see a cut - good luck!
  • greycloud
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 158

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40448

In my experience toe injuries are quite common as they have long toes! One of mine dislocated a toe, others have had cuts and sprains- try to run them on flat ground ( probably impossible!) sandy beaches are good but just about everything else incurs a risk! The injuries are hell to keep clean too - good luck!
  • Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40452

Had many a bump of toes etc as a pup and a limp that would come and go, personally I would keep him on a lead for the time being and see if it heals on its own and try the compress as mentioned above. He is still a growing baby.
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40474

How`s the puppy doing?
  • maggiemac
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40475

Hello everyone! Thankyou for all the advice. My deery pup is doing much better. We thought he was improving but decided to have the vet check him. Well somehow he managed to get a bad spiral fracture on his front paw and is now wrapped up, He's feeling much better and I'm having a tough time keeping him settled because he wants to wrestle with his big brother a 15mth deery on and off throughout the day. The vet feels that this fracture will heal fast since he's still growing . :)
  • marianne

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40476

Hi there . I'm pretty new at using this site so i hope you recieve my responce. Puppy is much better after vet wrapped his front foot. He has a spiral fracture on front paw but you'd never know he had anything wrong with him. High pain treshold. He's supposed to be quiet and rest. Well we're doing our best. People have told me this is quite common with deeries. So far he's not that interested in chewing off his bandage but we have that awfful collar to prevent him if he starts to nibble. Hopefully he'll be ready to run in a few weeks or so.. I'll wait to see what the vet recommends.
  • marianne

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40477

I am glad that you took him to your vet - it is too risky to take a 'wait and see' approach especially with puppies. At least now you know what the problem is and can manage him accordingly.

He will soon heal and be back to his normal puppy self :)
  • greycloud
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 158

puppy toe fracture or sprain 4 years 6 months ago #40494

The Cone of Shame!

Hope he's all better soon. x
  • KB
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.267 seconds