It's a Deerhound!

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago #40238 by Neil
Neil created the topic: It's a Deerhound!
Had a great day at the Kenilworth Country Show yesterday. We were surprised at just how many people knew that Finn was a deerhound. We still had a number of "it's a wolfhound, lurcher, bloody big hairy greyhound" and the likes but had a number of people (some of whom were former owners) who came up to give him a fuss and have a chat.

Of course Finn was the usual deerie tart and leans into the legs of his latest fan whilst receiving an ear rubbing
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252, Joerg Yoki, Lieve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #40243 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: It's a Deerhound!
Sounds a great day - well done Finn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neil

More
5 years 4 months ago #40260 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: It's a Deerhound!
Its strange what people think isn't it? I`m constantly asked "Is it a rescue?" As if you would only have a deerhound if you had to!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neil

More
5 years 4 months ago #40263 by Lieve
Lieve replied the topic: It's a Deerhound!
I really can not stand it, when they are asking if they are rescues from Spain.
Hate it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neil, maggiemac

• Neil
  • Neil's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #40264 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: It's a Deerhound!
We happened on another village show last Sunday in Hatton (a couple of miles from Warwick). There was a dog show going on for pedigrees and those of the Heinz 57 varieties. Now I stupidly entered Finn for the pedigree (he is incomplete and a rescue) but the organizers kindly accepted him saying that he was clearly a pedigree and couldn't help his misfortune of ending up in rescue. So, off to ring we went.

Well, this was certainly an eyeopener for me. Finn was as ever laid back having won a couple of the Heinz 57 variety shows in the past. But now we were in the big league and didn't we know it

He looked at me gone out when I tried to mimic my fellow contestants by placing his legs correctly and holding his head up. First mistake, the judge, who had apparently been quite short to the other contestants but was very nice with us, politely told me I had him facing the wrong way :( . Then after we had trotted across the ring and back (he loved this bit, and did do the deerhound trot which the audience and other contestants appreciated) we were told that he needed stripping :ohmy: Now we used to look after his ears but as he has got older we have let them go (until last night that was) but I didn't know we had to strip their fur of the downy stuff :huh:

Now i feel embarrassed for the poor old soul to think he has been out and about and looking scruffy. So project for an hour this weekend is to have a go at his coat. He loved the ear stripping last night ~ what deerie doesn't like their ears being played with.

Back to the show Clearly, not placed And then off to the 57 variety ring where we ended up with a third (with Hermione) in the family event
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Neil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, maggiemac

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.640 seconds