Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Deerhounds and agility

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40135

Hi, I was wondring, are deerhounds any good at agility? I don't have a deerhound yet, but just thinking about activities I could do with it. I have always wanted a dog that I can o something like that with; and I know they love lure coarsing so I'd like to give that a go too. Really just wondering if they take to agility too. Are they a bit big for the obstacles?! Will they be bothered to follow all the commands or are they likely to get bored and give up? Also, what age can you start these activities? I know they shouldn't be run too fast or hard when young, just wondering at what age you can really let them "go for it".
  • Scruffdog
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40136

Depends on the dog. We do a little bit of agility at our dog training classes. Our old girl, sadly no longer with us, loved it. She would be very excited, waiting for her turn and would happily gallop, with a big grin on her face, around over jumps, through the tunnel, the weave, long jump and seesaw. However, she would not do the A frame or high walk. If we'd have persevered, she may well have been persuaded to give it a go, but as we only did it for fun, there didn't see much point. On the other hand, our other deerhounds show no real interest in it. They'll have a go, but more out of duty than enjoyment.
Sue
  • Spring
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 173
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40137

My big lump would clear a cattle grid or a wire fence at night when at full running pace after a small furry.
There is a desire to do agility...if they see the need.. :)
  • hairybeasty

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40138

Anyway....my big furry lump is gone...
And I am the only person on here who works their dogs for the purpose that they were bred for.
That makes me a member of the forum who doesnt love dogs as a pet....or let the smelly things in the house.
Other members will find that hard to deal with....as I find people going on about random issues hard..
A dog was bred for working....but that is where the forum and I part issue.
So on that note....goodbye.
Good luck to all..... :)
  • hairybeasty

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40140

hairybeasty wrote:

Good luck for you also, HB.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1405
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by Joerg and Yoki.

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40141

Funny thread to choose to get all dramatic. Can't see why I can't ask a question. Simple: don't read it if the title of the thread is "too random an issue".

Anyway, I'm not after a champion agility crufts winner. Just a dog who would enjoy doing something similar. Agility or lure coarsing. And if he doesn't like it, that's fine too. We can just take him to a secure run / enclosed park where he can enjoy free running like a loon.
  • Scruffdog

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40142

hairybeasty wrote:
And I am the only person on here who works their dogs for the purpose that they were bred for.
That makes me a member of the forum who doesnt love dogs as a pet....or let the smelly things in the house.
Other members will find that hard to deal with....as I find people going on about random issues hard..

No your not.

I work mine both ferreting and bushing, the deerhound although i've not put any work in to her will quite happily
chase and try her best to catch a bun - alongside the lurchers, they do live indoors though, to risky with a permanent travelers camp not 5 mins down the road.

so please HB stop being a drama queen and keep your toys in the pram.

Back to the original question - it depends on the dog, i probably wouldn't try till the dog was over at least two,
most can jump, but whether they want to or not is another matter - deerhounds don't see the point in doing something unless its worth their wile.
  • chook
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 247
Jane

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40145

Well I find this thread interesting although none of mine are interested in agility I wish they were!

Scruffdog - have you thought about doing cani x ? Elise and rob on here do it with their deerhounds :)
  • greycloud
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 158

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40146

hairybeasty wrote:

FFS - Grow up!! If you feel like this about your dogs then go on a hunting forum - bye bye!
  • greycloud
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 158
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40147

Well, mine do hunt on our daily hikes - everything from rabbit over coyote, deer to bear basically- and I am so happy that they can, not being a huntress myself but loving to see them do their thing. But, they also do like doing other stuff- one really enjoyed agility when she was youngre ( now 5 and "beyond "it= bored!); she did everything and everything very well, not the weavepoles though, never came to teach her those. We started when she was a bout 1 year old with the introduction to it- would wait at least until they are 18mths or even older before I'd let them go at it more strenously. Also, 3repetitions seem to be the limit. Here in North America, part. in the States are several highly titled, multi talented deerhounds who do obedience and agility. I also heard of some excelling at tracking!
  • verenav
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, saorsa

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40149

I used to do a lot of agility with my Lurchers. But to compete there is a fair amount of repetition needed in training which is more tricky with hounds like Deerhounds than say Collies. I think Deerhounds, as Spring says, could enjoy some aspects of agility though they wouldn't manage all of the equipment.

As mentioned by Greycloud I enjoy running with my Deerhounds. Most of the time they are off the lead running along with me. Our running distances vary from say 3 miles - 12 miles but we have also entered CaniX competitions as well. See here canix.co.uk/ for further info and here are some articles www.cusidh.co.uk/News/cus...rufts-2009.html and photos www.cusidh.co.uk/News/crufts-2011.html of when we've attempted CaniX at Crufts with both Banrigh (Deerhound) and Hettie (Lurcher). Most of the CaniX events though are in lovely forest areas on tracks etc. Crufts is a bit of an unique event for them.

As you've already mentioned I wouldn't do any of these activities till the dog is older around 12 months plus.
  • Elise
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 516

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40156

verenav wrote:
Well, mine do hunt on our daily hikes - everything from rabbit over coyote, deer to bear basically- and I am so happy that they can, not being a huntress myself but loving to see them do their thing. But, they also do like doing other stuff- one really enjoyed agility when she was youngre ( now 5 and "beyond "it= bored!); she did everything and everything very well, not the weavepoles though, never came to teach her those. We started when she was a bout 1 year old with the introduction to it- would wait at least until they are 18mths or even older before I'd let them go at it more strenously. Also, 3repetitions seem to be the limit. Here in North America, part. in the States are several highly titled, multi talented deerhounds who do obedience and agility. I also heard of some excelling at tracking!

On a selfish note, I'd love it if you created a thread all of your own.
It'd be fascinating hearing how the d/h react with all the critters you have over there, when you're out walking.. :)
  • saorsa
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 94

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40167

Perhaps there are other people on this site whose deerhounds get to hunt regularly? I do have a very hard time posting lately as it takes forever for the letters I typed to appear. This here took about 3minutes if not more... :pinch:
  • verenav
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 419

Deerhounds and agility 4 years 8 months ago #40169

greycloud wrote:
hairybeasty wrote:

FFS - Grow up!! If you feel like this about your dogs then go on a hunting forum - bye bye!
I think I might stay here actually. It's amazing how much of a drama queen I can be after too many beers... :pinch:
Grow up you say...?? :laugh: :laugh:
Now that is hardly likely now is it...? :woohoo:
I have incidentally been banned from most of the hunting forums.
Hope this helps. :P
  • hairybeasty
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds