How many NAUGHTY puppies !!!

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Craters_on_the_lawn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago #40031 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Craters_on_the_lawn created the topic: How many NAUGHTY puppies !!!
Just for fun!! -
Seeing as delinquent deerhound youngsters seem to come up in discussions rather often in this forum I thought it may be really interesting to see what percentage of all your Deerhounds have been rather unruly / delinquent as puppies - and how about a rating from 1 to 10 ( where 1 is angelic and 10 is horrendous!)
When I first started researching about Deerhounds all descriptions referred to their wonderful, dignified, noble temperament and nowhere did I find any information about how nightmarish they can be as youngsters!!!!

So spill the beans - have all your deerhounds been little angels or monsters when young?

I'll start - Henry (admittedly not pure Deerhound - maybe 3/4 but certainly behaves very much like one) was definitely a nightmare (all the more so because we were totally unprepared for what we had let ourselves in for!) I'd give him a 8, because although he was horrendous out of the house/ in the garden, he did, even as a pup, have extended chill-out times at home when he was just lazing on the sofa (thank god that just about preserved my sanity); whereas his brother was manically horrendous ALL the time.

Compared with having adopted 4 rescue dogs of various ages with differing problems I'd safely say Henry has been the most challenging and difficult dog I've ever had.
But I do love him :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #40033 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: How many NAUGHTY puppies !!!
I am a true dog lover, having had 22 dogs in my lifetime, some from cradle to grave others rescued and loved till the end. Some rescues brought problems both behavioral and health wise I could never have envisaged but not one of them behaved like a DEERHOUND!!!
She arrived like a quiet, dopey kind of lollapy lovable bundle of legs and as soon as she sussed me out to be a wimp and a coward proceeded to destroy me and most of my house, causing my jack russells to hide under tables and behind anything (including me) ! She jumps my height, she bites incessantly, she attacks me from any angle at any time. The garden, she feels, in entirely her property anyone daft enough to enter may get the Aiofe treatment. She`ll always bark just to let you know she`s going to get you.....
She gets on the bed. I push her off. She gets back on. I push her off, ad infinitum. I get up , anything left out in the kitchen like tea towels or tablecloths have become part of her bed...s`okay Ive got nothing else to do today so I`ll wash them all again.
Oh and how she loves sheepskin....rugs, boots ,infact her favourite "toy" is a piece of a sheepskin rug which she throws around the garden and pretty much treats it like she does me!
This nibbling isnt just a DH trait , other dogs do it, but DH`s dont stop when they hit bone! I have awful athritic hands and the knuckles are lumpy , she`ll lick them and I`ll say "aah you do love me dont you?" and then she`ll munch down on them like she would a beef bone!
She chases tractors and joggers with so much enthusiasm ,thank God for the 5ft fencing!
Now on the other hand, she is funny, beautiful ,fast as a whip and devoted to me, so I am to her faults a little blind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252

More
4 years 11 months ago #40039 by chook
chook replied the topic: How many NAUGHTY puppies !!!
Layla only came to me at 8 months old but we've never had any problems.

Except for being stubborn and pig headed at times
shes the perfect dog in every way, shape and form, recall is fantastic, she sits, downs and shakes a paw on command
she will even give you the paw corresponding to you saying left or right , only thing she has ever chewed is one of my trainers,

Her only downfall is she loves kids to much and tends to get over excited at seeing them so knocks them over,
oh and if there's something really tasty on the side (like lamb ) she will try for it, but most of the time she doesn't bother with food left out.

Jane

More
4 years 11 months ago #40042 by maggiemac
I would hate anyone to think Aoife was anything other than a normal....but very large puppy, with all the traits of a puppy and a few glimmers of the adult she will be. From very early days she was quickly house trained, sat at the kerb to cross the roads, sits on command, lies down to command, has fantastic recall when out in the woods and will lie down from 300ft away with just a hand signal. Yes she still mouths me and I am trying to kerb that and while she barks at strangers at the gate (no bad thing as far as Im concerned) she also does this whilst reversing! She has the run of the house day and night and has caused far less damage than any lab or rottie that Ive had. Because she is still a puppy she is an unknown quantity ,but I have seen absolutely no aggression in her character that is not normal behaviour for a pup.She doesnt like the jack russells near her beef bones nor does she appreciate being walked on by them whilst she sleeps. I do think that DH`s are a challenging breed and not for the faint hearted , but the more I get to know her the more I love her, she may not be quite angelic though.......

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #40044 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: How many NAUGHTY puppies !!!
My dogs also bark at the gate whilst reversing :)

I dont know whether I have just been lucky with mine but none of them have been much trouble at all. Yes, we have had the teenage 'testing ' stage but they have come through that and are now nice well behaved hounds. I can take them most places with no problems and they have a wide circle of doggy friends ranging from a pug x to an irish wolfhound. I am very proud of my hounds and we get a lot of compliments about their behaviour and temprement.

They are by no means perfect though and we still have the disappearing lump of cheese and slightly chewed remote control and the random mad barking sessions.

I do so love my hounds - they are all so different but all are so loving :)

Someone said on here a while ago that Deerhounds live in a bubble of happiness and this is a great desciption of them.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by greycloud.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #40129 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: How many NAUGHTY puppies !!!
Deerhounds are too sweet to be naughty!

Ironstone Deerhounds
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Ironstone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elise, Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 11 months ago #40130 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: How many NAUGHTY puppies !!!
Great picture Shelley.
Thanks for sharing.

All the best
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy

More
4 years 11 months ago #40133 by maggiemac
Through my rose coloured glasses I completely agree! Lovely picture. Deerhounds must be like childbirth.....cant remember how bad that was either.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.859 seconds