toilet training

• Dylan
  • Dylan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 1 week ago #39931 by Dylan
Dylan created the topic: toilet training
Hi desperately seeking suggstions. Aslan is now nearly 8 months old and is still peeing/poohing in the house. I have tried everything and at my wits end with him.
He does not seem to understand outside is where he goes, he would come straight in from the garden and go He openly just goes in front of us, and in any room.
He does not hide in a corner, he could be in the middle of a room. I use the same door to let him out, I give him the command, on the odd occasion he goes outside I make
a fuss of him. He has even jumped up on the bed and peed. I have successfully house trained four other dogs and never had this problem.
Also having issues with him answering back when told what to do, he mouths my arms as well hands and is closing a little to "tightly".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OhDeer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 1 week ago #39932 by OhDeer
OhDeer replied the topic: toilet training
Hi that sounds like a nightmare. Seems like he thinks hes the boss and not you. Boys can be a pain maybe try a water spray and when he does it in the house spray him and tell him no loudly, then immediately put him out. My boy used to mouth a little to hard I found bellowing at the top of my lungs helped. Hope you find some solution good luck.

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 1 week ago #39933 by Dylan
Dylan replied the topic: toilet training
Hi thank you for your suggestions :) I have been trying the water spray , however he stands there and tries to catch it in his mouth! he is very cute but very cheeky at the same time..wander if there are any Deerhound dog whisper's out there LOL

More
5 years 6 days ago #39936 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: toilet training
Hi Dylan - poor you - what a nightmare! By his age it sounds as if you got him as winter was approaching which can make it hard to toilet train them as from my experience deerhounds dont like to go outside in the cold and rain, well mine never have.

It sounds like you may have to go back to basics with him. Have you considered using a clicker to train him? Each time he goes outside 'click' and reward him. I found this training method successful when toilet training mine. Take him out and stay with him until he has performed then click and treat and plenty of praise. I vividly remember standing in the garden in the dark at night whilst waiting for mine to go to the toilet and they can take ages to do it :)

The issue of him peeing on your bed sounds as if he is displaying a form of anxiety by not knowing his boundaries. Try denying him all access to your bedroom until you have got him fully and reliably trained. He sounds as if he needs a firm hand as if he thinks he is the boss he will continue to mouth you and go to the toilet where he likes. The lads can be stubborn but you do need to take charge now before he gets any older especially before he hits being a teenager as he will really try and test you then!

When mine used tomouthed me too hard I used to shout 'oowww' really loudly and then walk away from them.

These are just suggestions that I have found worked for me and I really hope that this may help you and Aslan. He sounds a cheeky young man :laugh:

Best of luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan

More
5 years 6 days ago #39938 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: toilet training
You have my utter sympathy! Greycloud always has good advice and clickers really do work, positive re-enforcement is something animals pick up really fast, however male dogs regardless of breed can be slow to understand house training and you are going to have to be very patient here. First of all really restrict Aslans (great name BTW) access in the house both day and night. I personally wouldn't use an indoor crate for a DH but others would, if you have a utility or large porch that would be ideal. Don't allow him free access to bedrooms etc otherwise he will enjoy marking each room as his. Be vigilant and fast , he`s only a puppy so I imagine he still squats a little to pee? As soon as you spot him grab his collar and scoot him out, stay with him and make much of him if he goes to pee. Consistency is the main goal, he will get it ,it just takes time. It also helps to get him really tired during the day, they are lazy little b****** at this age and would rather sleep all night than get up and pee. As for the mouthing.... I got really good advice on here and it helped my problem tremendously. Aoife was jumping up, biting scratching and bowling me over (I`m 5ft 2ins), no amount of saying ow, or whining had any effect on her, basically she just took advantage of all my weaknesses. She was worse on the lead than she was loose, so every walk became a trial and I was terrified she`d get away from me and cause or even have an accident herself. Someone told me to stand on her lead and ignore her. It took awhile but she slowly started to behave a little better on each walk. Now your problem is mouthing and answering back. No good shouting at this breed you`ll only aggravate the situation. I have a half lead (its an old chewed lead) it stays on so control can be resumed at speed, she happily runs with it dangling from her collar all day, she doesn't know its not long enough for me to stand on it. If she gets too excited and starts mouthing me I grab the lead give it a firm pull say NO! and then completely ignore her.
Right now it feels like you have a live crocodile as a houseguest, it will get better, it will get easier just time and real patience that's all that's needed. Good luck x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dylan, greycloud

More
5 years 5 days ago #39949 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: toilet training
Hi Dylan, your comment about the water spray made Stephanie and I laugh so much. Aren't they little devils :evil:

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 5 days ago #39950 by Dylan
Devils and magpies or in Aslan's case we think he thinks he is a Labrador..head first into any food he can get ! Even after he just ate he went and cleared the rest of Torrum's food. For Deerhounds they are very different Torrum was house trained in a week ! He eyes all food suspiciously before he will eat it..Aslan just bolts it down. Although as I Greycloud mentioned he is not so brave in the wind. We live on the north coast of Ireland ..ie windy !! Last night my daughter took him to the top of the street , he got the lead in his mouth pulled her in an arc and then head straight down the street across the front lawn and into the house ! She said he was a man on a mission, he was not staying out in the rain and high winds!! LOL

More
5 years 4 days ago #39955 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: toilet training
:lol: Finn is the same with the wet weather he cannot stand it. I have to drag him down the street for his pee and as soon as he is finished he returns the pleasure and drags me back to the house.
The first time he did this (he had been with us about a fortnight) he literally turned tail and ran home dragging me in his slipstream

More
5 years 3 days ago #39956 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: toilet training
You have my greatest sympathy, I can't think of anything worse than a dog using a house for a toilet! It must be really unpleasant. I had a summer pup and he just kind of toilet trained himself, never had an accident in the house, but you don't want to hear that.

The clicker sounds good. I bought my Mum a Pet Corrector, her little 'Rodents' bark constantly and she got a complaint from the deaf neighbour! It's worked, only took 1 or 2 sprays and they have learnt. I was wondering if this would be any good to you with Aslan, if he attempts to go, spray him and hopefully he will learn the house is not a toilet. If he goes outside, a clicker treat? I would love to hear of the outcome. Good luck.

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 3 days ago #39957 by Dylan
:laugh: Neil thank you you gave me a laugh ! Lurch I set to work today and steam cleaned all the carpets which thank goodness has helped ALOT .The pet correct is a wonderful idea and it worked on Torrum unfortunately..Aslan he well..put it in his mouth and played wiht it pierced the can you can guess what that sounded like and he did not flinch ! Will buy a clicker tomorrow , I am hopeful that will make a difference.Thank you all for your support.

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago #40021 by Dylan
update. We have a dog behaviorists coming next Friday for 3 hours to help us out with Aslan. I took him to a dog class and he did well. Except when I left him in the sit position , backed away and a man with a plate of sandwiches walked past..you can guess who he went after... :silly Then he misbehaved when he came home. Instead of walks or play calming him down they make him hyper !! A few nights ago heard the wife screaming , ran to see Torrum and Aslan going head to head in the back garden...65 year old men aren't meant for tearing around the garden !! Thankful the daughter sprinted out and rugby tackled Aslan. We frog marched him in with me courageously wave a mop at Torrum who thought it would be a great idea to charge us !! Remind me again why I thought Deerhound was a good idea :whistle:

More
4 years 11 months ago #40022 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: toilet training
Hi Dylan, had to answer you made me laugh out loud! My DH thinks I`m a DH! The first few months she was with me I had a very tiny back garden so when I moved to this place with its great big garden I thought great she`ll soon tire herself out and leave me alone......wrong! Now she dives at me from every angle, this morning she hit me full pelt and sent me flying, she cracked my neck into my shoulders and has left me feeling every inch my age. She`s presently upside down on the sofa at the side of me trying to force both me and my laptop onto the floor, but I love every inch of her and my life would be empty without her.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252, Dylan

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago #40027 by Dylan
Thank you for sharing ;0) I am so glad to hear someone else has the same experience of their Deerhounds thinking they are Deerhounds. Both of our will nibble you , up and down your arms but they always manage to nibble a little too hard then look at you with such sweet innocent faces, as if ..but Dad I am just cleaning you why are you screaming and examining your now going black arm !??
My daughter says at night Aslan comes into her room and just throws himself down on top of her....but when she woke up this morning she tells me , she was lying on herside with her arm stretched out and Aslan was lying wiht his back tucked in along her front and his head on her arm all cuddled in..ah yes they are sweet..when they are sleeping !! :lol:

More
4 years 11 months ago #40028 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: toilet training
I had Harri from rescue a year ago, I also have toilet problems with her! She hates going out to the toilet unless the weather is just right although she jumps up for a walk when I get the leads.

After a year she is much better but still slips up on occasions. I wonder if she has spent a long time in kennels before she was rescued and got into the habit then!

Rob B

More
4 years 11 months ago #40029 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: toilet training
You say that Robb, but we thought we were going to experience that with our Greyhound Meg. She was a kennelled dog, as we had several in our old house, plus small children, so we had purpose built kennels outside. When we moved, we dismantled them and got rid of them, as we only had Meg by this time. Trying to get her in the house was a nightmare, she hated it, she hated the flooring too and would walk from kitchen to living room, where it is carpeted, like Bambi. But, she never ever had an accident in the house. Another funny thing she did, she had a nice soft bed, but would curl up on the prickly door matt by the front door. They are such funny creatures when they have been kennelled, its all new to them. I just guess I have been very lucky.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, Dylan

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #40030 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Craters_on_the_lawn replied the topic: toilet training
Oh yes Henry does that nibbling your arm thing too!!!! Its often just a bit too hard!!!!! Ouch!!

And then he goes and does it to visitors to our house, or random people we meet in the street !!!! :S SOOO embarrassing / potentially going to get us into trouble one of these days :ohmy:
I think its supposed to be a sign of affection but I'm afraid no one else sees it like that!!!

Re; the toilet training problem; I'm no expert but for REALLY good dog training advise on any topic I really can't recommend the website "DOG PAGES" too highly. They have a section called "training and behaviour" which I have always found outstanding - a lot of dog trainers / very experienced dog-rescue people will post answers to any queries - have seen some excellent advise on TOILET TRAINING recently with people who have been in despair after months of unsuccessful toilet training - and then got good results after following the advise given.

Here is the link to the relevant page (if that's ok for me to post) : www.dogpages.org.uk/forum...068&showforum=4

Edited - sorry link was only to the "training and behaviour" section, useful if you want to post a new query, but if you want the actual thread, there have been several threads in this section recently about toilet training, try: - www.dogpages.org.uk/forum...howtopic=264887
www.dogpages.org.uk/forum...howtopic=263513
www.dogpages.org.uk/forum...howtopic=262151
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Craters_on_the_lawn. Reason: to add more links

More
4 years 11 months ago #40032 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: toilet training

Robb wrote: I had Harri from rescue a year ago, I also have toilet problems with her! She hates going out to the toilet unless the weather is just right although she jumps up for a walk when I get the leads.

After a year she is much better but still slips up on occasions. I wonder if she has spent a long time in kennels before she was rescued and got into the habit then!

My rescue mrs T was similar (was about 7 when i got her) she would NOT even wee in the garden took her a very long time! luckily she had the strongest bladder going and never went in the house! we came to the conclusion she had been seriously told off for it :( she eventually started going outside when she noticed the others didnt get told off and she got such a fuss and 'good girls' when she did that eventually when she was relaxed about going in the garden even if we were inside she had to come and tell us what shed done she was so happy about it :lol: miss that old bird :(

• Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago #40034 by Dylan
thank you so much will check out the link asap. As for the Deerhounds telling you they "have been "we have that with Torrum if he has had bowel movement !! :huh: he will open the back door rush in through the kitchen into the hall which runs the length of the house and so the Deerhounds think it is a great speed way. He charges up and down , up and down. While us humans run to open the bathroom door at one end and to protect the glass porch door at the other end.

update we are now down two sets of curtains which Aslan decided to hang off !! They lasted 4 other dogs and 25 years till Aslan sealed their fate. I have also just been informed that I am now minus a pair of PJ as well. On the plus side we are now the proud owners of an excellently excavated hole in the back garden ... :S

More
4 years 11 months ago #40035 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: toilet training
I would be seriously concerned about any dog mouthing/nibbling/biting their owners and random people as the DDA means that any one can make a complaint to the police if they feel that your dog has even frightened them let alone made contact with their teeth! You could have your dog taken off you and even have it PTS if the courts order it.

I am sorry if I offend anyone on here by saying this but your dogs life is at risk if you allow this behaviour to contine and it gives deerhounds a bad reputation. Big dogs have a hard time as it is as ignorant people think big equals aggressive but allowing this kind of behaviour will only reinforce that believe.

• Craters_on_the_lawn
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Under Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 11 months ago #40036 by Craters_on_the_lawn
Craters_on_the_lawn replied the topic: toilet training
No not offended at all - this is why we steer clear of people on our walks - or if in a busy place my dog stays on a lead nowadays. Unfortunately that's the only thing I can do - manage the behaviour - ie. not let it happen - but as to how to stop him doing this ??? - I would love to hear if any deerhound owner has found a way to stop them doing this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: greycloud

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.731 seconds