Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span

• Scruffdog
  • Scruffdog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #39674 by Scruffdog
Scruffdog created the topic: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Hi again,

Further my own researching of the breed, I have come across a lot of conflicting infornation. Some places say that deerhounds can get on with the family cat (we have 2) if raised with them. Other places say they no good with other pets or even with small dogs! Due to the chase instinct. Ifvthere is no chance a deerhound can live with our housecats, we will regrettfully have to look into another breed! Also, I know being a larger dog they don't reach very grand old ages, but some sources say they only live 7 years! Others say 8-11.

Opinions about deerhounds and cats eagerly anticipated! I like to verify these sorts if things on a forum like this, there is jothing like talking to actually own them :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #39676 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
It's a natural instinct for ALL dogs to dislike cats, dog chases cat, cat chases mouse. A deerhound can live with a cat, just as any dog can live with a cat, so long as they are bought up together. I am sure you will get lots of posted pictures of moggies and doggies cuddling, I've seen them! As for life span, well things can happen at any age to any dog. I lost my boy at nearly 8, yet I had a man visit me from Scotland who had a Deerhound bitch that lived until she was 15. A labrador could die at 7. Hope this helps.

More
5 years 3 months ago #39677 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
We had a cat before we got the deerhounds so the puppies grew up with the cat.
In the house the cat is the boss, even sometimes stealing food from their bowls.
However outside it is a very different matter and the dogs will chase our cat and
any other that is silly enough to come into the garden. Hope that helps.

Spring

More
5 years 3 months ago #39679 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
I have had a cat after my deerhounds and they have been fine with her. I was very firm with them for the first week or so. Every growl, rumblings or curl of the lips were punished and now she sleeps on their backs. Mind you any other cat if foolish enough to come in our garden is fair game!

I also have chickens and apart from one casualty they have been fine with them as well.

More
5 years 3 months ago #39682 by maggiemac
maggiemac replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
I have a 10 month old DH bitch and 3 geriatric jack russells, in the house the jacks are boss, but outside the DH rules. She wants to play with them but they are way past that stage and therefore I have sulky grumpy jacks and a frustrated DH. I supervise them and try and keep them apart when neccesary. I dont trust my jacks not to nip her, and I dont trust the DH not to roll the jacks and flatten them! So its a question of if in doubt keep small animals away from overgrown,rambunctious DH`s .

More
5 years 3 months ago #39689 by chook
chook replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
I have a house cat and layla is often on the bed asleep with him close by,
my cat actually hates dogs and people and other cats for that matter, but yet him and layla have gotten on
from the day she arrived at 7 months, god knows why - as he hates the other dogs in the house,
how ever layla will chase cats outside if she see's them.

Laylas fine around small dogs/puppys also, one of her dog friends is a little parson jack russell
and they have often played together.

Jane

• Scruffdog
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #39698 by Scruffdog
Scruffdog replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Thanks for the replies. It is good to know it is possible for them to get on with cats! I want to hurry up and buy a house now so we can have a dog. This year it's our wedding, then look for house to buy the minute that's done, and get a dog soon after that! Of those 3 things, secretly I am looking forward to getting a dog the most, he he. If, all going to plan, I was to aim to get a puppy ideally July 2014, when would be the best time to sensibly start looking for a breeder?

More
5 years 3 months ago #39699 by Lurch8252
You should go to the shows and see the hounds in person, meet the breeders. You can look on their websites and enquire as to when they will be thinking of having a litter. Our first port of call was Kilbourne Deerhounds in Derbyshire (we live in Hertfordshire) Glenis told us who was having puppies and put us in touch with Sue @ Ladygrove and we then got our puppy. We too will be hopefully bringing a puppy home next year, we may have siblings!

More
5 years 3 months ago #39706 by BethC
BethC replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Hi, when we got our DH puppy we had a 19 year old cat that ruled the house with a claw of steel, plus a year old kitten. The DH (and the other puppy we had at the same time) were firmly put in their place by Beetle the old black cat....she could come into any room and growl and both dogs would skirt around the edge of the room to get to their beds and stay there for a good time before poking their heads out to see if the coast was clear! Our old cat died when the pups were 6 mths old, but they have never tried to chase our remaining cat INDOORS. In fact, she can often be found hanging from their tails with the dogs looking very patient and forlorn. However, if she runs in the garden the DH has to be shouted at not to chase her....if we aren't quick enough though he has never, ever shown any inkling to "hunt" her, he just wants to run and then puppy bow down in front of her barking in her face!

• Scruffdog
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #39726 by Scruffdog
Scruffdog replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Oo wouldn't that be exciting to have littermates! I can't stop my mind going crazy with thoughts of names, how to approach training, whether I can get involved in something like lure coarsing...I don't even own a house to put a dog in yet lol.

The iron claw of a 19 year old made me laugh!

More
5 years 3 months ago #39758 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Finn is a rescue and we are always very careful not to leave him alone with our cats during the day when we are not here. He can be very loving with the cats; plenty of licking and wagging tail whilst in the house and he will sleep on the bed with them so long as they are not too close. All in all, contact with our three cats is on Finn's terms, he tolerates them and they know that in the garden he wants to play and chase. Finn will chase anything in his garden; Hermione the lurcher often gets trapped at the end of the garden and has to be rescued and even yours truly is fair game and believe me hearing the thud of a 42k deerhound chasing you is pretty damn scarey dh:)

More
5 years 3 months ago #39759 by Clunie
Clunie replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Got to say that these are the same experiences that I have had with Tulla (younger deerhound) and all of our four cats. In the house Tulla is very loving to them all (especially Mya, the youngest cat) but once outside it's game on! If the cats run then she chases them. Even when I yell at her saying eg it's Mya don't chase, not one blind bit of notice does she take..

Clunie on the other hand certainly adores the cats inside and I haven't seen her chase any of our cats outside (just for once she is behaving better than her sister!), but non family cats are intruders and get chased. :laugh:

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #39773 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
If you dont want cats to be chased...a harder lesson than a shouting at should be administered. :blink: :blink:
My hairy lump will not chase cats..chickens...ducks...sheep..cows or horses. :)
He had to learn the hard way. :evil:
Dogs have to be taught what is on the "menu"...and what isnt.
If they dont know the difference in the countryside...they can be shot.
End of lesson. :pinch: :whistle:

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #39802 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Lurch - Dirk comes from Ladygrove also - whats your dogs kennel name?

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #39803 by Trowsahound
Trowsahound replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Ref what Hairy Beastie said - if you are going to live in a rural area, it might be a good idea to have a large fenced garden or paddock also. Deerhounds can be tricky to let off the lead anywhere where there are sheep/domestic cats around and you can't risk it, and they DO need lost of running about especially when young. Even in parks/beaches etc they can terrify dog-haters/young children and other dogs by their terrific speed and rough antics when running about quite innocently - they are big dogs and being hit by a 'friendly' one at 30 miles an hour - hurts! These guys were bred to run around Scotland chasing Red Deer - bare that in mind!!

Yes if pups are brought up with cat they respect it up to a point, but ours still chase our cat anyway outside, as our cat now enjoys winding them up! But I would not trust them with someone else's cat for example out on a walk. Obviously they will also chase squirrels, rabbits and anything else and will ignore you while they do it.

Deerhounds do not live long in comparison to mongrels - the oldest of mine got to 10, another died just before 7th birthday, it is one of the most distressing things about the breed.

I'm not trying to put you off but it's good to realise what you are taking on to avoid any heartbreak!

More
5 years 3 months ago #39816 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Hairy Beastie; you are of course right about the discipline and with Hermione, our lurcher, who we have had from a pup she does respond. But, my excuses for Finn is that he came to us as a rescue at indeterminable age (8 according to the rescue home or, 4 or 5 guestimate by our vet). He is a typical stubborn deerhound and sometimes I can shout until I am blue in the face and he wont respond.

Bribery works most of the time; cheese 75% success, his brush 95% success but there are those occasions where he will crouch chest on the ground and his arse in the air willing you to venture into the garden to "play" on his terms; where I'm his quarry dh:)

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #39817 by Lurch8252
Trowsahound, Murphy was also a Ladygrove boy, son of Ghost and Kilbourne Nimrod. He=is kennel name was Ladygrove Phantom
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Lurch8252.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trowsahound

• hairybeasty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
5 years 3 months ago #39820 by hairybeasty
hairybeasty replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span

Neil wrote: Hairy Beastie; you are of course right about the discipline and with Hermione, our lurcher, who we have had from a pup she does respond. But, my excuses for Finn is that he came to us as a rescue at indeterminable age (8 according to the rescue home or, 4 or 5 guestimate by our vet). He is a typical stubborn deerhound and sometimes I can shout until I am blue in the face and he wont respond.

Bribery works most of the time; cheese 75% success, his brush 95% success but there are those occasions where he will crouch chest on the ground and his arse in the air willing you to venture into the garden to "play" on his terms; where I'm his quarry dh:)

That's fine then mate.
It's just that I had to shoot two of my dogs myself for sheep killing.
That memory will live with me forever.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #39840 by Spring
Spring replied the topic: Re: Deerhounds and cats, and deerhounds life span
Thought these might demonstrate the ability of a (particularly greedy) cat and deerhounds to live together harmoniously. Apparantly, the cat also makes quite a good pillow.
Sue

Attachments:
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lurch8252, Trowsahound

• Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
5 years 3 months ago #39843 by Trowsahound
Ah lovely photos, not quite as idyllic as that between our cats and dogs, but nice to know it can be done! :)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 1.019 seconds