Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em!

Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 11 months ago #39321

Normally I put the dogs' meals down, call them, and they come running. But it seems when my boys reach a certain age of maturity, around five or six years, they want their meals delivered to them, wherever they happen to be resting. One day breakfast is served in the library, the next it might be in the sunroom, it changes from day-to-day. They love being served though, and always greet the server (that's me) with wagging tails and laughing faces! :laugh:

I'm wondering if this happens with other forum members!

And what's with the evening whingeing? Again it's the eldest male, whines every evening to be let out to patrol the garden. He is my first deerhound to do this which is kind of interesting since as of this month I will have owned deerhounds continuously for twenty years.
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 287
Ironstone Deerhounds
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg and Yoki

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 11 months ago #39322

Ben who died last year, bless him, used to do this when he was laying on the sofa, he wanted me to bring him his food to eat on the sofa! I guess that they get wise at a certain age and realise that they're servants will do this for then. lol
  • Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 280
Rob B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone, Joerg and Yoki, greycloud

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 11 months ago #39323

My deerhound who is 4½ comes walking on his own legs to eat his meals. Smaller treats shall please be delivered to the sofa of his choice.
I have once tried to save the way and throw the goodie. It did land on the sofa actually, but out of the reach of what his neck, head and nose could reach in cooperation. He then looked at me with the most praying eyes, so that I realized that I had to come and pick up that goodie and deliver it within reach of his head. I actually placed it in his mouth to save him from further unhappiness and physical stress.
  • KimC
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 314
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jacobite, Ironstone, Joerg and Yoki, Neil, greycloud, 3HOUNDS

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 11 months ago #39326

How extra-ordinary! I know my lovely Henry isn't a "real" deerhound, only partial, but he's exactly the same - he really can't be bothered to get off the sofa to get his dinner! (Although I don't bring it to him, so he does have to get up eventually....which is quite often a few hours later!)

He also does the whingy thing - as does his brother apparently. Its been especially bad recently and quite annoying. Whinge, whinge, whine, whine. Although I think in Henry's case its not to be let out, its to be taken out for a very large walk, because the last walk was not good enough (ie not 5 miles!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 11 months ago #39327

urgh, please do not mention the whining, the in and out, in and out of the garden, again, only in the evening, don't hear a peep out of him during the day, what is it with this whining? It drives us round the bend.
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 11 months ago #39331

Interestingly the worst whingers I've had have both been females, in fact we never thought we would have a worst whinger than my last beautiful girl Flora, until we got Hazel....she is an Olympic medal winning whinger and it quite drives me mad! :laugh: It's not usually about food but more to do with being left out of things, so if she finds herself on the wrong side of a door, it's non stop whinging until she gets her way....
Luckily for me Dirk is an appetite on legs, and is always concerned that if he doesn't get to his bowl before Hazel then she might get the food, so there is a stampede at mealtimes, but they are still both quite young. My older dogs did tend to lie around and eat only when it suited them which made life very complicated!!
  • Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 161
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone, greycloud

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 11 months ago #39358

I am going to try an experiment tonight and take Rufus on a good long walk alone. See if that quiets him down. He is trying to tell me something obviously but I can't figure out what it is. Maybe he needs to secure the neighbourhood and not just the garden. We'll see.
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
Ironstone Deerhounds

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39359

Maybe there's a female in season somewhere in your neighbourhood. Ben always knew and acted strangely, when I took him out for a walk I'd let him lead me and we'd always end up outside the house where the female dog lived. Problem was than that he'd sit outside and refuse to budge. dh:)

I didn't repeat that so often afterwards. :)
  • Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 280
Rob B

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39364

Ah.. I don't think it's just the boys. Styx (14 month old bitch) will choose her spot for her meal whilst it's being prepared and will then just wait for delivery.
  • Elise
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 516

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39366

Layla always lies in the hall for her meals - if shes not there it gets left down for her.

Layla's got a new habit on the winging front, back door is always open when the others are out,
so she has plenty of chance to go out, but she lies on the bed in the kitchen, others will come in
and the back door gets shut, as its cold - few minutes after the back door is closed layla will start to whine
if you ignore her she will bark, she wants out - why on earth she cant go out the same time as everyone else
i don't know.
  • chook
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 247
Jane

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39373

My male deerhound who is 5 now wants me to serve his food to him on the sofa which I wont do dh:)

As for whinging and whining I think it is a deerhound thing. My girls are much worse than the lad - in and out of the garden, one goes out, the other one wont. Then she comes back in and the other one wants out. Gotta luv 'em
  • greycloud
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 158
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39539

I spread a nice big load of manure on my vegetable garden recently. Guess where my three boys have taken to hanging out? It's like the smoking pit in high school. :blink:
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
Ironstone Deerhounds
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brodie, Joerg and Yoki, Neil, greycloud

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39541

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • greycloud
  • Graduate Boarder

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39554

And what is with the snoring? My oldest male Rufus can rattle the windows when he's resting, which for a deerhound is about 90% of the time!
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
Ironstone Deerhounds

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39557

yes, snoring is my lots speciality! what with that and whinging and whining, in and out of the house to the garden it's a wonder I haven't gone mad - or maybe I have and just dont know it :laugh:
  • greycloud
  • Graduate Boarder

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39576

This post made me smile :) when we first got Finn from rescue we had a hell of a job trying to get him to eat and yes, we followed him around the house with a bowl of food. Then we discovered a deerhounds weakness Cheese dh:) and now, in the main, he will turn up for his feeds without a problem.

We still have the odd moment though. Last night for instance he would come into the kitchen go to his bowl and delicately remove a piece and go back upstairs. We watched him repeat this a couple of times and then realised what he was up to. Stephanie had put a few bits of off cut pastry in his bowl. Now this is a major treat for Finn so much so that he wanted to relish this delicacy away from any interference from Hermione and the cats dh:)
  • Neil
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 139

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39624

Oh both of mine do THAT! Whenever I feed them chicken wings, usually served with rice or vegetables, for some reason they pick the wings up out of the bowl, look over their shoulders and sneak off somewhere private to chew them up and swallow them - they refuse to do this in each others presence! Then they will go back and finish off the rest in the same room. What on earth is all that about?!!! :)
  • Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39628

Henry has a habit of picking up the dry kibble and then randomly depositing it arround the living room.(?) Before we had our staffie cross he would then play-bow to it, bark at it and throw it up in the air (?).
Now we have Barney any stray kibble is instantly hoovered up (of course!).

One day I witnessed Henry come into the living room, checking out the sofas, (as he does) and realizing there was no-where to sit - Humans on one sofa, Barney stretched out very inconvieniently in the middle of the other (and it was Henry's favourite sofa too!). So he went over to his food bowl - which still had his dinner in, picked up some kibble, deposited it on the living room floor. Immediately Barney gets off the sofa and starts hoovering, and Henry immediately claims his favourite sofa, settling down to stretch out over the whole length of it. :laugh:
To this day I don't know whether he planned that or not; but it did make us laugh!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone, Joerg and Yoki

Re: Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 4 years 10 months ago #39629

How funny, I think he planned it! My mother used to have an English Bull Terrier that would pretend he wanted to go out by scratching at the back door, and when a human got up to open door, he would then steal the seat!! He did it several times, it was definitely pre-meditated! Dogs are far more intelligent than we give them credit for!
  • Trowsahound
  • Post Graduate Boarder

Male Deerhounds - you gotta luv'em! 3 years 11 months ago #41771

Here we are almost a year after I started this thread and I just wanted to say that Rufus continues full steam with the whinging and snoring, although not at the same time!
Throughout last night he woke me repeatedly with his whining and now as I sit bleary-eyed in the early afternoon he is snoring merrily on the floor next to me! :laugh:
If he wasn't such a wonderful boy I might be tempted to repay his treatment of last night and jiggle him awake! But no, that would be cruel... :whistle: :lol:
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
Ironstone Deerhounds
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.475 seconds