Dog friendly locations

More
8 years 1 week ago #26204 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
Vikingxc wrote:

Yep i agree its a real struggle to take 3 dogs anywhere but we have been lucky so far and always found somewhere in the end its one of the reasons i started this topic

The last 3 cottages we have been to all stated that they would only take 2 dogs but when I phoned they were very willing to take our 3. All the cottages were owned by individuals rather than large organisations. It's worth contacting owners and asking. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #26225 by lurcherlover
lurcherlover replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
we go to anglesey every year,have done since i was a baby!! very dog friendly,we always have had a static caravan on beach but unfortunatly the lady who owned it had a stroke and the caravan is no more :( so we had the task of finding somewhere to take 4 dogs!! most state one or two small dogs,the ones that would take more dogs are booked again as people leave for following year so ther was no chance!!! by luck i found one in the village we normally stay who just said 'well behaved dogs welcome'didnt stipulate any number just as long as every trace of dog was removed before leaving and charged an extra £10 for the dogs and didnt ask how many!!! 2 bed detached bungalow couple of minutes stroll to beach looks lovely,will let you no what it was like when we have been in august. we are seriously thinking of investing in a touring caravan although some sites also have a limit on dog numbers :( :(

More
8 years 4 days ago - 8 years 4 days ago #26342 by CiCoch
CiCoch replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
lurcherlover wrote:

we go to anglesey every year,have done since i was a baby!! very dog friendly,we always have had a static caravan on beach but unfortunatly the lady who owned it had a stroke and the caravan is no more :( so we had the task of finding somewhere to take 4 dogs!! most state one or two small dogs,the ones that would take more dogs are booked again as people leave for following year so ther was no chance!!! by luck i found one in the village we normally stay who just said 'well behaved dogs welcome'didnt stipulate any number just as long as every trace of dog was removed before leaving and charged an extra £10 for the dogs and didnt ask how many!!! 2 bed detached bungalow couple of minutes stroll to beach looks lovely,will let you no what it was like when we have been in august. we are seriously thinking of investing in a touring caravan although some sites also have a limit on dog numbers :( :(

We have recently returned from a Caravan Club camping site in the lake district.
www.caravanclub.co.uk/car...aspx?csid=21926
It is totally dog friendly and has lots of woodland walks beside the lake.
We took our 6 dogs and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. We will be going back again soon!

Attachments:
Last Edit: 8 years 4 days ago by CiCoch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

• cassandra1260
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 4 days ago #26395 by cassandra1260
cassandra1260 replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
Wow...such incredible landscape...how lucky you are! How far do you have to drive to get there?

More
8 years 4 days ago #26396 by CiCoch
cassandra1260 wrote:

Wow...such incredible landscape...how lucky you are! How far do you have to drive to get there?

It's about 160 miles from us here in North Wales. About 3 hrs drive.

More
8 years 3 days ago #26399 by lurcherlover
wow that looks beautiful,and me and o/h were talking about going there when we get a caravan and also we will be nearer later in year as we are moving from south to stafforshire/cheshire border so will def keep that one in mind. thanks

More
8 years 3 days ago #26409 by CiCoch
lurcherlover wrote:

wow that looks beautiful,and me and o/h were talking about going there when we get a caravan and also we will be nearer later in year as we are moving from south to stafforshire/cheshire border so will def keep that one in mind. thanks

Let us know when your going, perhaps we can meet you there !

More
8 years 3 days ago #26414 by lurcherlover
hi yes that would be great,will do

• chrishafod
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #27197 by chrishafod
chrishafod replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
I am going to bang the drum for Trefriw, in the Conwy Valley, between Conwy and Betws-y-Coed [the name, of which rhymes with let us avoid!] Look up www.trefriwtrails.org to get a sample of the range of walks around here and if you want dog friendly accommodation, I do provide; check www.hafod-house.co.uk . We have open fields, woodland, moorland, rivers, lakes and really serious mountain walking all around the village. Sadly, I am a little limited by the greyhound, who cannot cope with styles and will not go anywhere, where he has heard gun shots. Nevertheless, we walk miles and miles and to compare the abilities and tempraments of a racing greyhound and a deerhound, bred for work, is a never ending source of pleasure. Isla, the deerhound, is in another league and I am not alone I saying that she is the most extraordinarily, human centric dog I have ever come accross.
If anyone wants to start a topic on that subject, I can supply an amazing story.
Steve, due to a change of computer, I have lost your e-mail address; please get in touch.

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 11 months ago #27199 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
It looks lovely! I think I will be making a booking soon as long as you take 2 deerhounds! I have always wanted to visit the Conway valley

More
7 years 10 months ago #27377 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
I can certainly vouch for the lovely walks in this area as a regular visitor. Don't forget the good beach walks especially on Anglesey, not far away.

My brother lives just down the road at T'yn-y -Groes, you may even have met them on dog walks. They have a lab and a curly coat retriever. He and my sister-in-law have never mentioned a local deerhound but I would like to meet Isla especially as one of my DHs is also called Isla. I live on the west coast of Scotland with DHs Isla and my youngster Morag.

Well worth a trip Houndy

Wendy

More
7 years 10 months ago #27387 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
lovely photo - looks idyllic. We used to go to the one in Leyburn (Wensleydale) and loved it there too. Photo makes me want to revisit the Lakes though!

More
7 years 10 months ago #27402 by lurcherlover
hi again,just wondered what size caravan and awning do you have?

More
7 years 10 months ago #27403 by lurcherlover
messed that up, that question was for cicoch!!!!

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 10 months ago #27486 by MrsMc
MrsMc replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
Kim and Mary Ann from the deerhound club have lovely accommodation and dogs very welcome. Lovely area of Norfolk and near to the sea also.

www.ollandsfarmbarn.co.uk/

More
7 years 10 months ago #27510 by Neil
Neil replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
Friends of ours run The Bell Inn in Adderbury, not far from Banbury, Oxfordshire. A very dog friendly pub

More
7 years 10 months ago #27805 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re:Dog friendly locations
Hello,

Here a link to a blog with pictures over a room in Scottish Deerhounds Interior Design.

Link: deerhounds.blogspot.com/2...ior-design.html

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki dh:)

More
7 years 10 months ago #27812 by CiCoch
lurcherlover wrote:

hi again,just wondered what size caravan and awning do you have?

Sorry just noticed this one ...

Caravan is a 2 berth , but it slightly longer than a normal one as it has a little changing room at one end with storage on one side and at the toilet/shower bit on the other.

It's a SWIFT CHALLENGER SE 470 which is about 6m long. we bought is 2nd hand and it came with a full length awning, which is great , but Mand goes to lots of flyball shows on her own with it, and it's just too big to manage on your own so we got a smaller one which is great also. This is the small one : www.awnings.co.uk/scripts...p?idproduct=306
It's not really big enough to sit in with the dogs, but then we take the big awning if we have all the dogs with us. The dogs sleep in the van at night in their own individual cages.

More
7 years 4 months ago #33015 by Yinboyslow
Yinboyslow replied the topic: Re: Dog friendly locations
In North Wales at Pen Y Pass, which is the start for two of the paths up Snowdon (Highest Mountain in England and Wales), there is a cafe.... www.facebook.com/pages/Pe...03232811?ref=ts or www.facebook.com/pages/Pe...03232811?ref=ts
It is very dog friendly. I know this because I work there. It's a big space with a slate floor so nothing to spoil. We don't mind wet and muddy people or their hounds! Happy to provide water bowls and maybe even the odd sausage!
Oh and its quite a good cafe too :)

As far as I'm aware there are a few pubs around here that are fine with hounds (lost my collie a while ago and am currently considering adopting a deerhoundish thing :)).....The Pen Y Gwryd, just down from Pen Y Pass on the junction of roads between Llanberis, Capel Curig and Beddgelert; The Bryn Tyrch in Capel Curig and the Fricsan on the Llanberis Caernarfon road - this also has a dog friendly policy - as long as ALL mess in cleared up..... www.thesnowdoninn.co.uk/

I know of at least one basic B+B which will be dog friendly and there are some pretty laid back campsites around here too.
May have to be careful about sheep on the more basic mountain sites. Some of the posher places do charge but at least they will take dogs.

Hope you enjoy the place if you do come to stay!

More
7 years 4 months ago #33018 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Re: Dog friendly locations
We have just booked a weeks holiday for next October in a cottage near Torridon on the West coast of Scotland. They will take our 3 hounds. But even better the lady who owns the cottage and another one in Dorset fosters dogs for the Many Tears Animal Rescue. AND 10% of the rent for the holiday goes to the charity.

www.gracecottages.co.uk

What could be better, beautiful scenery, dog friendly cottage, and a contribution to this wonderful charity.

Wendy :woohoo: :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki, Trowsahound

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.715 seconds