Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dog friendly locations

Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15475

Just wondered if we could all get together and list places to visit, pubs, b&bs, hotels and the like for when people go to places.It can be a nightmare fiding places to go with dogs and i dont like leaving the dogs behind local knowledge is always better than trying to find places on websites and guide books.
  • Vikingxc
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15485

I'll start us off....

The Quality Hotel Walsall.Ideally situated on Jct 10 of the M6,stop off when going to NEC or other Midland shows.The rooms are huge,breakfast fantastic and the dogs were welcome.There are large gardens for the morning ablutions,and it was very reasonably priced.

Boot cottage in Boot,Eskdale,in the Lakes,dogs very welcome and lovely walks straight from the door.Across the lane from Boot Inn(owned by them too)which does lovely meals and is a real ale pub.
  • Elvee
  • Yearling Boarder

Re:Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15494

There's no point in getting your hopes up if you come to Canada because I'll tell you right from the start that dogs are welcome ... nowhere. I mean, OMG, if you were to walk into a retail establishment with a deerhound or three on a lead the proprietor would faint dead away. And as for taking one into a restaurant, pub, or any other kind of eatery, ha!, don't bother entertaining the thought as it would be sheer fantasy. A government health inspector would immediately be dispatched to close the business down.

The only light on the horizon that I can see is the current trend of young women carrying around little pocket dogs on their arms. These wee animals have indeed been appearing in business establishments where larger dogs would fear to tread. But then their feet are not touching the ground.

Even in places having outdoor patios, where one might imagine optimistically that a dog would be tolerated, the cruel fact is these animals must be tethered outside the patio barrier, so that you often will see people dining within while clutching fido's lead over the fence. Sadly I do not exaggerate.
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 287
Ironstone Deerhounds

Re:Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15495

I always stay at the Days Inn as they are cheap and dog friendly. Nice space on the bed or floor for the dogs and they always have a bed settee for them as well! :P
  • wallace
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62

Re:Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15502

Great to get more info re places to stay that will take dogs. We always seems to be looking for places - not always that successfully.

Remember too Sue Rose has great accommodation in Central Scotland and also if you fancy a chalet in France that's also listed in the directory.

For the Stafford show ground we stay at the Express by Holiday Inn at J13 on the M6. It doesn't have vast amount of grounds but what it does have has added rabbits. Dogs are welcome.

www.hiexpress.co.uk/h/d/e...ults&start=null

We're going to try Hotel Commodore, Spa Road, Llandrindod Wells, Powys, LD1 5ER for the South Wales show. Dogs are welcome. Charge per dog is £10.

Another hotel we stay at is Westmorland on the M6 around J38. They take 2 dogs at £7.50.

www.westmorlandhotel.com/

We've also stayed at a Welcome Cottages place at Coldstream for the Border Union show. They accept dogs (stay for free) and can do short breaks depending on time and cottage selection.
  • Elise
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 516

Re:Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15509

I'm afraid that when it comes to dog friendly accomadtion Aissie is much the same as Canada. Out in the country you are more likely to find cafes or pubs that will allow dogs into the outside area, but certainly not in the cities. The thought of asking to take a dog into any hotel or motel is just not on, sometimes because inconsiderate people have taken their dogs into the rooms and showered them and left mess and dog hair everywhere :angry: :angry: .

I do envy the more relaxed attitude of the Uk and Europe though.

Pam
  • Jacobite
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 179
Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

Re:Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15520

Loads of places to stay on Mull with dogs including "Ardbeg House" Dervaig. Also I regularily visit the Isle of Tiree with my work, & my dogs are made very welcome. The Lodge Hotel on Tiree has great large en-suite bedrooms ( dogs welcome ), & although dogs are not allowed in the restraunt you can eat in the bar area with your dogs by your side ( or in my case lying in the middle of the room ensuring maximum fuss is obtained from all humans ). :cheer:
  • camuscuin
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Kaz

Re:Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15567

We are very lucky to have loads of local pubs in north essex/suffolk that are happy to have the dogs in while we have a pint/some grub :D

We stayed at a great dog friendly pub in the new forest called the highcorner inn, they actually have a deerhound x :laugh: we stayed with 3 of ours, and they all came into the pub for breakfast with us :laugh:
  • stussy
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 167

Re: Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15572

Germany and Austria are great for dogs, even the larger breeds such as ours, and even if you bring more than one. They just think it's great that you bring your dogs with you.
For a good and reasonably priced hotel try Ibis or any other of the Accor hotels.
  • Bonnie
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Re: Dog friendly locations 8 years 1 month ago #15574

I've always been impressed by the warm welcome given to dogs in France. Some signs of change over recent times in food shops which is fair enough, but the hotels/B&B etc always super. ONce we were at a restaurant in the Alps when the Old English Sheepdog lying beneath the next table spied a rival and leapt up - chaos ensued with table overturned and all glasses etc on the floor. We waited for an outburst, but no.. the waitress just gave a Gallic shrug and half smile saying the equivalent of no problem and cleared up. She even patted the dog! The dog lay down after a good telling off from the owner and normal service was resumed!! Definitly not the UK.
  • crackadog
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 259

Re: Dog friendly locations 7 years 11 months ago #17416

Forgot to put my recomendation in here oops.

The White Lion
High Street
Walkern
Stevenage
sg2 7pa

A great friendly pub with an open fire great food and dogs always welcome
  • Vikingxc
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 11 months ago #17419

Hi where abouts in new forest?? we have been going there every other weekend to visit daughter in hospital and that could be useful,do you think they would tolorate 4 ??!!!
  • lurcherlover
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 11 months ago #17430

Wonder if all the locations where the Deerhound Club has held their “Open Shows” would still take people with hounds :)
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 707
Wigster n San x

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 11 months ago #17435

I don't know if the Marine in North Berwick will - they've changed hands and gone even further upmarket since we were there in 2004. The Royal Court in Coventry does, though.
  • Sid
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 87

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 7 months ago #22004

Just wondering if anyone knew of somewhere a couple of humans with a couple of dogs could go and stay for a long stay>Just really need to get away for a while and would consider any location..I'm semi retired and want to see a bit of the world!But not without the hounds of course :)
  • Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 7 months ago #22009

It depends where you want to go Dylan. If you wanted to go to Bournemouth for example, goodle dog friendly locations in Bournemouth.

I know the feeling about getting away, holiday? what is a holiday?
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 7 months ago #22010

Lurch8252 (sorry not sure of your name) I really am open to suggestions and will consider any where..my daughter and I would just like to spend some time away with the dogs and without the wife :angry: :laugh: hope she doesn't read this or there will be no goodbye :kiss: for me! :laugh:just joking,she does not like to travel.
  • Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Dylan.

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 7 months ago #22017

Par sands in cornwall (nr st austell) is nice and has a great dog friendly all year round beach and tons of rabbits. Lots of nice walks too! I am taking the hounds there in 2 weeks time as my son lives in St Austell and I will be seeing my new granddaughter for the 1st time since she was born end of Feb!
  • houndy

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 7 months ago #22040

Cornwall is a lovely spot you are so lucky to be heading there, and congrats on your new granddaughter.
  • Dylan
  • Graduate Boarder

Re:Dog friendly locations 7 years 7 months ago #22051

Why not try the Dogs Trust website for their holiday cottages?

You don't say where you would like to go. Mountains, sea, resort????
  • WendyS
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds