Places to Walk

More
9 years 7 months ago #3488 by Brollachan
Brollachan replied the topic: Re:Places to Walk
Nice shots Bundaleer. The hounds are looking great. BTW I'm sure Helen would love to see how Taog is going and she will be moving soon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago #3657 by verenav
verenav replied the topic: Re:Places to Walk
What beautiful places we all can walk in - I would give quite a bit to be able to walk on a beach like this as I would have to drive about 5-600km for that - in fact , I did walk on our Westcoast on Vancouver Island fairly often when I lived down there , but never with deerhounds/sighthounds .

More
8 years 3 months ago #22417 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re:Places to Walk
Came across this web site for UK motorway users

www.drivingwithdogs.co.uk/

It basically covers places to walk your dogs within 5 miles of a motorway junction. Handy for those drives to shows/lure coursing etc events. It's actually a more interesting site than I seem to be able to describe it here and it also includes dog friendly pubs/beaches etc.

A fair amount of the information is only available for premium users at a cost of £6.99 for a year and the standard registration is free. Elise
The following user(s) said Thank You: wallace

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #22434 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Places to Walk
Yes- this is an excellent site if you have to drive a long way with dogs. I have used it a lot and the stop off walks are very good

More
8 years 1 month ago #24968 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Re: Places to Walk
Just back from the Yorkshire Dales and found loads of places to walk dogs, on and off lead. We were based at Middleham nr the market town of Leyburn. We also found everyone including lots of walkers to be dog friendly, (although we put dogs on lead when walkers were around until they had passed by).

More
8 years 1 month ago #24969 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: Re: Places to Walk
Not far from us crackadog - we could've met up if we'd known. Hope you enjoyed the Dales. Chucking it down now but I suppose we need the water.

Hope you tried the Black Sheep ale :)

More
7 years 8 months ago #29488 by lurcherjane
lurcherjane replied the topic: Re: Places to Walk
well usually i walk up Rivington Barn in Bolton but now i walk up winter hill or the pike.Dont bump into many dog owners only ramblers,the moors just go for miles and miles.Then theres the Pendle Hills love walking there because of the Pendle witches great landmarks.Nearest beach is Blackpool on a Friday evening there is a group that meets up with there lurcher and greys,it is more to st annes side.But me i would travel any where thats why Gypsie got her name lol,

More
7 years 8 months ago #29489 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Re: Places to Walk
Hi, Yes we love the Dales and have been coming for years. Hubby likes the Black Sheep - I recall being left holding the pram while he inspected the brewery! Will contact you next visit!

More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #40970 by ronmanager
ronmanager replied the topic: Places to Walk
We live in South East London and are always on the lookout for stile free walks. Here's a few:

1. High Elms Country Park and Farnborough (near Orpington) free parking and no stiles. We usually do a 4.5 mile route through the extensive wood trails and along the golf course then across Shire Lane into the huge fields behind Farnborough Church before heading back into the Beeche Café next to the High Elms main car park. Loads of dogs and the café welcomes them and sells dog sausages etc. There are deer in the woods so if your hound is a chaser, keep a look out. There's lots of different paths crisscrossing through the forest so it can be as long or short as you like.

High Elms Trail

2. Camber Sands - between May and Oct you have to stick to the far right side of the extensive sandy beach but there's plenty of space and lots of dogs here. The car park you'll want is the one next to the road that is a big field. The parking is quite expensive I recall but if your hound likes the sea (it's very shallow at Camber for a long way out) it's worth the few quid. The parking attendant as you go in will tell you where the dog beach is if you're in the prohibited months. You have a couple of hundred yard walk through the sand dunes - it's knackering climbing up the soft sand just before the beach itself I warn you but Santa loves it all. Here's a video of Santa at Camber when we found a buoy washed up on the beach. You know what deerhounds are like, anything new gets them going. Excuse the music...

3. Box Hill Hike - This is the big one - 8.5 miles. On a sunny day this is a very good walk taking in all sorts of views and terrains. It's near Dorking in Surrey and there a National Trust car park at the start. You'll know you've had a walk at the end of this and Santa is spark out within 30 seconds of getting back in the car on the way home. There's a few stretches where you are warned that there may be cattle roaming and we have seen some but otherwise it is mostly off lead 90% of the walk. Lots of steep slopes to climb and descend so not one for a wet day or if you have dodgy knees!

Box Hill Hike

there is one stile here that does not have a suitable dog hatch. It's right next to Mickleham Churchyard. We lift Santa over this which she is not that happy about but I am researching another way round this bit so I may be able to suggest a suitable route to avoid this at a later date.

4. Piddington Walk. We found this one after the Deerhound Fun Day in West Wycombe a few months back. A nice easy 4.5 miles with no stiles and almost all off lead through fields and woods.

Piddington Walk
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by ronmanager. Reason: Spelling!
The following user(s) said Thank You: crackadog, Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 9 months ago #40972 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Places to Walk
Hello and a warm welcome ronmanager in Scottish Deerhound forum.

Many thanks for your interesting information.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy

More
4 years 9 months ago #40973 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Places to Walk
Thanks for all your suggested walks, especially indicating if there were gates oe easy stiles. It is frustrating to go on a walk only to disciver you cant get over the stiles as they are broken etc. Hope you enjoy the site - is Santa looking forward to Christmas??

More
4 years 9 months ago #40974 by greycloud
greycloud replied the topic: Places to Walk
Hello and welcome ronmamager - have you been to the Lea Vally park? Not sure how far it would be from you but when I lived in SE London I used to go there quite a lot dh:)

More
4 years 9 months ago #40996 by ronmanager
ronmanager replied the topic: Places to Walk

greycloud wrote: Hello and welcome ronmamager - have you been to the Lea Vally park? Not sure how far it would be from you but when I lived in SE London I used to go there quite a lot dh:)

Hello, Lee Valley Park is very much North East London as my Grandparents were from Enfield and we went there a few times. Unfortunately, London being what it is, getting from one side to the other is a very time consuming task so we tend to head south for walks although we are off to Cornwall with her in a couple of weeks that we do every year to Herodsfoot and Looe etc. for the week.

On that journey across country we always stop at Stonehenge as there is a great big fenced field next to the free car park and Santa always goes a bit nuts in it (probably more to do with 3 hours in the car than any mystical forces.)

• CiCoch
  • CiCoch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
4 years 6 days ago #42183 by CiCoch
CiCoch replied the topic: Places to Walk
Another great place for dog walks in North Wales is Clocaenog forest.
Plenty of space to walk, run and jump. Plenty of different parking spots and large enough to avoid people.

www.hiraethog.org.uk/thin...-forest-p292111
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stussy, Joerg Yoki

More
4 years 4 days ago #42184 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: Places to Walk
Just spotted the comment on box hill, I have with my lot done quite a lot of the north downs way (in bits as one of my lurchers has epilepsy so cant walk too far in one go! )and although being from east Anglia I find the hills tough, its very much worth it for the views :)

If you are anywhere near Newmarket after 2 pm you can have a good gallop on the gallops, either near town on the hill or down by the national stud, my lot love it there :)

• deerfan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Totaly crazy about deerhounds
More
3 years 11 months ago #42201 by deerfan
deerfan replied the topic: Re:Places to Walk
a wonderfull place in Switzerland

Derborance it^s a place untouched by the man for 300 years
ok the dogs muss be kept on the leash

plus.google.com/photos/10...793224689412977

Aghnadarragh deerhounds and catherine
Fiona, Grèine, Hinney and Isold
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joerg Yoki

More
3 years 11 months ago #42203 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Re:Places to Walk
Looks glorious. Why do they have to be on leads? Just wondering if this is a general rule in Switzerland.

More
3 years 11 months ago #42205 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re:Places to Walk
Great pictures Catherine.of Scottish Deerhounds in Switzerland.
Many thanks.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

• deerfan
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Totaly crazy about deerhounds
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #42207 by deerfan
deerfan replied the topic: Re:Places to Walk
Hi They have to be on leash because it^s a totaly protected place we had to walk on the track as well
Dogs are allowed but on the leash they are free otherwise

Aghnadarragh deerhounds and catherine
Fiona, Grèine, Hinney and Isold
Last Edit: 3 years 11 months ago by deerfan.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.753 seconds