Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First Scottish Deerhound

First Scottish Deerhound 1 year 6 months ago #43256

Hi everybody, from Ireland,
I am considering a Deerhound, have been thinking about them for several years. I will be selling my house and moving to rural area within the next year. I have a garden now but I will hope to have fenced land. I have always loved hounds and currently have a 13 year old mini long haired Daxie. Still healthy and likes her more sedate strolls nowadays :) . I really get along best with dogs that are not devoted to instruction (the best way to describe it, ha) - can think for themselves and are nobody's fool (I really respect a slightly feline vibe from a dog : Independant but still keeping an ear open for what is going on in the house, and deciding whether to bother getting involved or not :) I would appreciate any tips about what would be the main things to consider to a potential first time Deerhound owner, the definite Dont's etc., or mistakes people new to Deerhounds can tend to make. I want to research feeding and exercise, especially for a youngster.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Colm
  • Elster
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First Scottish Deerhound 1 year 6 months ago #43258

Elster wrote:
Hi everybody, from Ireland,
I am considering a Deerhound, have been thinking about them for several years. I will be selling my house and moving to rural area within the next year. I have a garden now but I will hope to have fenced land. I have always loved hounds and currently have a 13 year old mini long haired Daxie. Still healthy and likes her more sedate strolls nowadays :) . I really get along best with dogs that are not devoted to instruction (the best way to describe it, ha) - can think for themselves and are nobody's fool (I really respect a slightly feline vibe from a dog : Independant but still keeping an ear open for what is going on in the house, and deciding whether to bother getting involved or not :) I would appreciate any tips about what would be the main things to consider to a potential first time Deerhound owner, the definite Dont's etc., or mistakes people new to Deerhounds can tend to make. I want to research feeding and exercise, especially for a youngster.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Colm
Colm I have sent you a private message
  • trevor
  • Under Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57

First Scottish Deerhound 1 year 6 months ago #43261

I think you do not see it in the good way, a deerhound don't need a house, don't need a garden.
A deerhound needs a human, his human and what he wants is to live in all circumstances with his human.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elster

First Scottish Deerhound 1 year 6 months ago #43263

Well my dogs have always lived in the house. My daxie has shared a pillow for 13 yrs with me. I understand you are explaining the fact that Deerhounds need a relationship
  • Elster
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve

First Scottish Deerhound 1 year 6 months ago #43282

Yes, your deerhound needs a sofa and can walk with you where ever you go.
A garden, no, nothing happens in a garden, if there are no other animals or humans gardens are boring.
My first deerhound lived with an IW, in a house without a garden in the centre of Brussels, we went every night for long walks around sleeping Brussels.
  • Lieve
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123

First Scottish Deerhound 1 year 6 months ago #43284

I agree with Lieve a garden is not a necessity as long as you are willing to walk your dogs. I know of a few who have lived in houses with tiny gardens.
Over the years mine have lived with many breeds of dogs & also cats & rabbits in the house....... they were trained their manners........outside would be a different story but they should always be under control O/S in my opinion. Recall a necessity for the safety of all. Remember others can be frightened of dogs of all sizes and other dogs are not always friendly..... dh:)
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 708
Wigster n San x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lieve, Elster

First Scottish Deerhound 1 year 6 months ago #43287

Agreed, a large garden or land is not a necessity. However, recently stayed at a friend's and they have several acres and a lake. Wonderful to see our deerhound when let out early for his morning pee. Just zoomies and playing. He is more sedate in his home garden. Deerhounds are great, they adapt well - but do need a daily 'zoomie'.
  • Bodhranlady
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 133

First Scottish Deerhound 1 year 6 months ago #43289

It is nice to see them run free, I totally agree. I talked to a lady years ago & she explained that her kitchen door opened onto a rear garden of immense size yet her hounds would wonder outside, sniff round for a while then lay down yards from the house & sunbathe. The only way she could get them to move was walk them. I'm not saying that all hounds would act this way just that a lot of ground is not a necessity if one is prepared to exercise the hounds daily.
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 708
Wigster n San x
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bodhranlady, Lieve
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds