Selling Dogs on the Internet

Poll: Should we allow wanted adverts for dogs on this site?

Yes.
17 43.6%
No.
12 30.8%
Its not that black and white!
8 20.5%
I don't know.
2 5.1%
Total number of voters: 39
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
8 years 5 months ago #32221 by Vikingxc
Vikingxc replied the topic: Re: Selling Dogs on the Internet
Maybe a locked thread/ section with advice on how to get a puppy for people doing the right thing and researching the breed before they commit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 3 Shreaded Wheat
  • Puppy Boarder
  • Puppy Boarder
More
8 years 5 months ago #32224 by 3 Shreaded Wheat
3 Shreaded Wheat replied the topic: Re: Selling Dogs on the Internet
This has been an interesting read.
Non the less,it could be viewed that allowing the advertising of breeders in the site directory is indirectly advertising pups isn't it ?
Why is it O.K. for older dogs to find homes through the Community site and not the youngsters. Surely we should be equally concerned about the future homes of the new broods.
Let's face it, there is no shortage of sites on the internet to sell Deerhound pups if a breeder chooses to, afterall it is the World Wide Web.
Perhaps litter advertising should not be damned so swiftly and with simple controls and checks it would not turn into the dog supermarket that people fear but a quality assured site i.e kennel club accredited breeders only ?

Keep it coming, interesting views.

More
8 years 5 months ago #32227 by Eggnog
Eggnog replied the topic: Re: Selling Dogs on the Internet
I agree with much that has been said about not wanting this site to be taken over as a shop window for puppy sales.
I've spent quite some time reading and waiting to begin commenting here
However, think I'm here with splinters in my bum (sitting on the fence!!) as it isn't that black and white.
When I was first researching deerhounds I read books and read about the breed on the internet but didn't think at that satge to look for a breed club.
At the minute if you search in the UK for Deerhound the club comes up on a google search before this community but only by a couple of places and the comments are more enticing to someone wanting to hear about the breed to look here.
I suppose what I'm getting at is that if there were a locked thread which was updated by the Deerhound club (and others overseas) with regularly updated information about puppies it may be helpful. But this would also need to direct readers to puppy coordinators or the kennel club and give advice for anyone thinking of having a puppy. This might encourage more people to use what we would term the 'preferred / traditional' routes and would remove the need or desire for anyone to advertise here.

Just thoughts B)

Rachel Q :-)

More
8 years 5 months ago #32331 by Jacobite
Jacobite replied the topic: Re: Selling Dogs on the Internet

MrsMc wrote: A lot of people post pictures of their puppies on this site which presumably will be for sale so the site has probably advertised pups in one way or another. Its always interesting to see how many people stick around after their pups have homes.

We have, in the past posted puppy pics but they have NEVER generated enquiries for the pups, OK this is mostly UK site but lots of people here from Australia.
We do not regard our cutie pics as adverts, not getting at you, just an observation.

Dave

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

More
8 years 5 months ago #32332 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re: Selling Dogs on the Internet

Jacobite wrote:

MrsMc wrote: A lot of people post pictures of their puppies on this site which presumably will be for sale so the site has probably advertised pups in one way or another. Its always interesting to see how many people stick around after their pups have homes.

We have, in the past posted puppy pics but they have NEVER generated enquiries for the pups, OK this is mostly UK site but lots of people here from Australia.
We do not regard our cutie pics as adverts, not getting at you, just an observation.

Dave

And it would definately detract from this site if no pictures of puppies were posted.

Rob B

More
8 years 5 months ago #32337 by Brodie
Brodie replied the topic: Re: Selling Dogs on the Internet

Jacobite wrote:

Dave

I have only had one litter of seven pups; I kept one, one enquiry came from the puppy coordinator, one enquiry came from recommendation & I believe the others were generated through the internet (my website, adverts & probably this site as well). I believe that photographs & other information posted on the web is required in today's "IT" world dh:)

Wigster n San x

• Ed
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 3 months ago #33602 by Ed
Ed replied the topic: Re: Selling Dogs on the Internet
if anybody wants such a special dog there are enough ways to get your name down, the deerhound community is pretty friendly to genuine enquirers and if some one is prepared to wait for the right animal then it goes a long way. however perhaps the rescue animals need a bit of publicity.

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds