× Please note posts to this board are subject to moderator approval. We do this to ensure quality and protect dogs. It can take us a day or so to approve messages so please be patient.

NOW HOMED : Deerhound Ellie

• Teratyke
  • Teratyke's Avatar Topic Author
  • Is one ever enough?
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 1 month ago #20353 by Teratyke
Teratyke created the topic: NOW HOMED : Deerhound Ellie
Please see here - possible deerhound bitch
mimsmum.proboards.com/ind...lay&thread=8966

Its a dog rescued by the Southern Lurcher Rescue... www.southernlurcherrescue.org.uk

We can't vouch for this dog, its suitability, origins etc, please contact the rescue directly for further information.
Last Edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Teratyke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago #20372 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Ellie is gorgeous - if I lived nearer I would apply for her but it says priority given to people living in the vicinity of SLR :(

Lurch - what about getting a girlfriend for Murphy? :)

• Teratyke
  • Is one ever enough?
More
9 years 3 months ago #20728 by Teratyke
Teratyke replied the topic: Re: Deerhound Ellie
chook left a message with the possible pedigree name of this dog, rather than publishing the details I'll contact the breeder to make them aware. Thanks for the information chook.
Rob

More
9 years 3 months ago #21072 by Kare
Kare replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Ellie is still at SLR and still looking for a home folks, (and we have other urgent little ones that need our help!!) so here is an update. Ellie is lovely, what can I say? She is perfect in the house. She is spotlessly clean, doesn't need to go out often (she can hold it for ages like our boy!) She doesn't bark, whine, she spends most of the day sleeping and is happy to go on a bed on the floor, or the sofa (currently we have a special leather doggy sofa of which she is the only one to get it right and sleep on it) She is perfect with our two boys, gentle polite, loves our springer Tipton and just wants to be Fionn's playmate (he's not so sure!)

She wanders quietly around after you and gently pushes her head into your hands when she wants to be scratched and fussed. :kiss: She has such a sweet, loving and sensitive nature and has such a calming presence on everyone and everything. She's completely won my dad over who normally doesn't care much for the (usually naughty and young) foster dogs- he even gives her kisses and cuddles and talks to her in a silly voice, so that shows how much she gets under your skin. :)

Outside she's good on the lead and we've started letting her off and her recall is usually OK- however the only thing is that she isn't really responsive to calling or food e.t.c yet when she's off and distracted, so that needs work. She usually just wants to follow our dogs or say hello to others. She likes other dogs and likes meeting them, but can be a bit growly if a dog keeps getting in her space and won't leave her alone. Also strangely she's more scared of big dogs than smaller ones. But generally she does just want to play when she's offlead- however because of her size she can be overly rough without meaning it and you have to watch carefully (which is why it would be great for her to have a large playmate within her own family.)

She's gentle enough for children but they would have to be pretty quiet and respectful as she is sensitive and can be frightened when people shout. We would say she's not cat friendly as she's exhibiting a prey drive out and about but a test could be done. She just wants a dog that she can play with and that could match her strength and roughhousing, so her perfect home would be with one or a couple of other dogs and at least one deerhound, deerhound cross or large dog.

Her behaviours are things a deerhound owner will know about and have dealt with before, so it would be perfect if she could go to a deerhound owner. That's where you lot come in! :laugh:
SLR have a 200 mile radius rehoming policy but that does stretch quite far so please don't be put off- just check a route planner!

(Ellie is on the right)

More
9 years 3 months ago #21381 by Mad Maggie
Mad Maggie replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
I WANT, I WANT, I WANT! Why do I keep looking at this part of the site - it is torture. She looks and sounds fantastic. The deerhound I had would chase cats outside but didn't bother with mine in the house so there is a chance she may be okay with someone who is savvy about introducing one to the other. Hope she finds her forever home soon (before I give in!)

More
9 years 3 months ago #21406 by Kare
There are potential homes and homechecks pending ;) we want to get the home just right.

More
9 years 2 months ago #21638 by Mimsmum
Mimsmum replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Hi, I am the Administrator of Southern Lurcher Rescue. We still have Ellie here. Firstly, thank you to the kind people who have responded and offered Ellie a home, offered advice, and offered to cross-post.
Ellie will only be rehomed to a home where there is another deerhound or deerhound lurcher x for company. She needs to run with another large dog of her own temperament. She is a wonderful dog and has blossomed in the care of her foster home above. We do not rehome the rescue dogs to anyone who works more than 4 hours daily.
We have to stick to our 200 mile rule and can't deviate from it.

Ellie came into our Rescue as her owner knew that we would not kennel her and that we would find the best possible home for her. We are thorough in our checks and rigorous in our rehoming procedures. All dogs rehomed by us are chipped to SLR for life.
Whoever adopts Ellie will be adopting one wonderful hound
:)

• Teratyke
  • Is one ever enough?
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #21640 by Teratyke
Teratyke replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Mimsmum wrote:

Hi, I am the Administrator of Southern Lurcher Rescue. We still have Ellie here. Firstly, thank you to the kind people who have responded and offered Ellie a home, offered advice, and offered to cross-post.
Ellie will only be rehomed to a home where there is another deerhound or deerhound lurcher x for company. She needs to run with another large dog of her own temperament. She is a wonderful dog and has blossomed in the care of her foster home above. We do not rehome the rescue dogs to anyone who works more than 4 hours daily.
We have to stick to our 200 mile rule and can't deviate from it.

Ellie came into our Rescue as her owner knew that we would not kennel her and that we would find the best possible home for her. We are thorough in our checks and rigorous in our rehoming procedures. All dogs rehomed by us are chipped to SLR for life.
Whoever adopts Ellie will be adopting one wonderful hound
:)

See here
mimsmum.proboards.com/ind...lay&thread=8966
for Ellie's thread on the Southern Lurcher Rescue forum.
Thanks
Rob
Last Edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Teratyke.

• Jane McDowall
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #21652 by Jane McDowall
Jane McDowall replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Hi

Many thanks for the email re Ellie. I did consider offering a home to Ellie as I already have a rescue deerhound x but unfortunately I live in North Yorkshire and was over your 200 mile limit, so I hope you soon find a home for Ellie. In the meantime I have just adopted a 6 month old d/h lurcher x from my local rescue centre and we brought him home on Saturday.

Hope you soon find a home for Ellie.

Jane McDowall

More
9 years 2 months ago #21754 by tattyhead
tattyhead replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Hi would love to be Ellie's new carer but I may too far away 214 miles to be exact plus I do not have other sight hounds I live with my 6y/o border terrier Troy. I am a big admirer of Deerhounds but I have never had the pleasure of living with one , I actually applied to rehome Margo first and was going to meet her but the manager of animal aid decided to give her to one of her friends and did not bother to let me know :( :angry: .

Thanks Tattyhead

More
9 years 2 months ago #21764 by singer
singer replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
We live in St Albans and have a thirteen month old male Deerhound, called Alfie. We have a large garden and a spare sofa. We could be interested in providing a home for Ellie. Can we talk about this? Alfie is a very social dog and kind even to dogs that don't reach past his toenails.

Jill and Adam (and Alfie)

More
9 years 2 months ago #21785 by Kare
Hi Jill, glad to hear from you. Everything's being sorted for your homecheck and we the fosterers will actually be doing it as we live in St. Albans too :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #22272 by Vikingxc
Vikingxc replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Has anything happened here?? Just wondering as i have met up with Jill, Adam and Alfie. In fact Adam if you see this and fancy meeting up with myself and Loki again give me a shout.

More
9 years 2 months ago #22513 by Kare
Jill and Adam were homechecked, and passed with flying colours. All being well, Ellie should be going to her new home this sunday. We will miss her! :kiss:

More
9 years 2 months ago #22540 by Mad Maggie
Mad Maggie replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Can we have an update on what is happening with Ellie? Thanks :)

More
9 years 2 months ago #22784 by chook
chook replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Looks like Ellie has been rehomed :)

Jane

More
9 years 1 month ago #23192 by singer
I am sorry - we should have replied before, but since Ellie came to live with us we all seem to have been a bit preoccupied! She and Alfie are getting on well. They chase each other round the garden and do that 'on the hind legs boxing' thing that it's very wise to keep clear of, because we've discovered that two deerhounds bowling you over find it even funnier than when one does it. She is a very gentle and affectionate creature, and she walks every day locally where there are lots of other dogs and she is coping with them all very well. We are very glad she came to us, she seems relaxed and comfortable, and Alfie has accepted her fine.

Jill and Alfie (and Ellie too)

More
9 years 1 month ago #23198 by Lurch8252
Lurch8252 replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
Fantastic news, perhaps Murphy can meet up with Ellie and Alfie one day seeing as we are only in Bushey.

More
9 years 1 month ago #23206 by singer
We would love that. I think you posted before that there were some good walks through Wall Hall. We could easily drive over and meet up. Maybe a weekend later in May?

Jill

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 1 month ago #23208 by houndy
houndy replied the topic: Re:Deerhound Ellie
So pleased to hear that Ellie has a lovely new home and is settling down with Alfie :)

Moderators: EliseJoerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.802 seconds