New puppy

• Lurch8252
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5669 by Lurch8252
Replied by Lurch8252 on topic Re:New puppy
daisymay wrote:

I was told not to teach Deerhounds (or long lurchers!) to sit as it can strain their spine! Not sure if that is true, but my girls don't tend to sit naturally..... unless of course Elsie Grey is preparing to do one of her famous 'skiddies' along the carpet :ohmy: Her party piece....off she scoots with a silly grin on her face, back legs flapping over her front legs, tail placed nicely to one side....waiting for a round of aplause :woohoo: Always when it is most innapproprate; eg. delighting to show off in front of posh very religious guest at friends tea party :blush: (Please God don't let her do it in the ring at Crufts!!!)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If they don't end up wiping their bums on the carpets, then they have wind, always when you have visitors!! Actually Murphy NEVER EVER passes wind, the terrier makes up for that one though! :ohmy:

I was told not to teach show dogs to sit, but Murphy sits, my Grandad taught him in an afternoon (much to my horror) but he only ever does it for a treat, he sits, gives paw, then gives a kiss then gets his treat. He has never done it in the ring, hence I NEVER take trats in the ring! Can you imagine it!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• sally
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5674 by sally
Replied by sally on topic Re:New puppy
We don't teach our hounds to sit because, as Sam says, if they are show dogs you don't
want them to sit in the show ring. Like Lurch and Daisymay, we were told it is uncomfortable
for long dogs to sit. However, saying that, ours are not taught anything in the way of
obedience (much to my shame:blush: ) which is why I can always be seen being hauled
across a show ground by two or three dogs, because they have never been taught to walk to
heel either!

• sally
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5675 by sally
Joe, our lurcher has terrible wind and he is lying beside me now, it's not very pleasant.
He is ok during the day but awful at night and he is at his worst when we go to bed and
he sleeps in our room.:S

• Lurch8252
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5683 by Lurch8252
sally wrote:

Joe, our lurcher has terrible wind and he is lying beside me now, it's not very pleasant.
He is ok during the day but awful at night and he is at his worst when we go to bed and
he sleeps in our room.:S

Ooh, nice, I have to make do with Kevin!!! ha ha:laugh:

• Lurch8252
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5684 by Lurch8252
I don't think it matters much with Deerhounds and teaching them to walk nicely on the lead, they nevr listen anyhow. Spent years trying this and that, kicking his but, pulling his ears, shouting, begging, pleading....still fell on deaf ears, if Murphy wants to sniff a certain tree, then he blimming well drags you to sniff it! That was until the Halti came on the scene, no more pulling!
The only time I'll be seen being pulled is as soon as I get his show lead on, he must think "ha ha, here we go" and he has a go at pulling (I can usually be seen whispering threats in his ear, a bit like a naughty child, you wait till your Dad gets home!!)
Sally, you're not alone! get a halti

• Lurch8252
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5685 by Lurch8252
Houndy, how's the little girl been settling in this week?

• alan
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5686 by alan
Replied by alan on topic Re:New puppy
daisymay wrote:

I was told not to teach Deerhounds (or long lurchers!) to sit as it can strain their spine! Not sure if that is true, but my girls don't tend to sit naturally..... unless of course Elsie Grey is preparing to do one of her famous 'skiddies' along the carpet :ohmy: Her party piece....off she scoots with a silly grin on her face, back legs flapping over her front legs, tail placed nicely to one side....waiting for a round of aplause :woohoo: Always when it is most innapproprate; eg. delighting to show off in front of posh very religious guest at friends tea party :blush: (Please God don't let her do it in the ring at Crufts!!!)

Have already booked my ringside seat! :woohoo:

• houndy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5735 by houndy
Replied by houndy on topic Re:New puppy
Lurch8252 wrote:

Houndy, how's the little girl been settling in this week?

Well, we have had her for 1 whole week now! She has been as good as gold :) Doing very nicely with her toilet training - I am using a clicker to train her like I have done with all my dogs. They learn very quickly.. She is good in the car and loves looking out of the window :)
She is eating very well and is only asking to go out once during the night. Murray has adopted her now as 'his' baby.They play together for ages. 'Chase' is the favorite ATM :)

I will post some pics tomorrow evening as we are hoping to go to the beach tomorrow weather permitting

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5741 by MrsMc
Replied by MrsMc on topic Re:New puppy
I have to say Mack and Daisy both walk beautifully to heel..... for Dan, in fact they walk slightly behind him. There not bad with me but can forget sometimes. We have so many squirrels near us at the moment that Daisy can't help herself and she has to try and chase them.:)

Dan is very strict about training them, no jumping up, always walking to heel. Lie down etc. They are both very good. :) :)

• sally
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5748 by sally
Can I borrow Dan for a while Sara, he can come and train our hounds.;)

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5750 by MrsMc
Replied by MrsMc on topic Re:New puppy
Yes he can cook as well. You can only borrow him for a short time, I'll need him back. He would be in heaven surrounded by your lovely hounds.:)

• daisymay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5851 by daisymay
Replied by daisymay on topic Re:New puppy
Alan ....be warned...don't sit too near the front.....when on form Elsie Grey 'leaves a steaming trail' behind her..... looks like a landing strip for a jumbo jet & the aroma is non too pleasent either!!! Hence my wooden floors!

• sally
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5863 by sally
oh lovely:unsure:

• daisymay
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #5871 by daisymay
Replied by daisymay on topic Re:New puppy
Elsie Grey really is enough to give Deerhounds a bad name :ohmy: She does have some bad habits or should I say party tricks up her paw :huh: Of course I blame the previous owners....nothing to do with the way I have bought her up :blush:

• camuscuin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6027 by camuscuin
Replied by camuscuin on topic Re:New puppy
My wee girl is Killoeter Mingalay (Amy), & her Mum was also Kintra. Amy is 2 years old now & a great girl, very well behaved when she wants to be ! Very clever, very wilfull. Your dogs are lovely & your pup's certainly settled with her new family. Enjoy her puppyhood etc

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds