Exporting

• elvee
  • elvee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #4471 by elvee
elvee created the topic: Exporting
Can anyone tell me what's involved in sending a puppy to Germany please?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 11 months ago #4480 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re:Exporting
Hi Elvee

A Cusidh pup went to a lovely home in Finland in Nov last year. So I can mention a little bit about our experience. However, a lot of the arrangements were completed by the new owner Kielo Oksanen so I probably don't have the full picture.

1. You need to organise a pet passport. Info on DEFRA web site www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/...-081016.htm.pdf .
The passport is issued by an LVI (Licensed government vet). If your veterinary practice
does not have a resident LVI, your vet may be able to tell you where the
nearest one works.

For the passport you need to microchip your pup and vaccinate (I don't think you need a rabies vaccination as presumably the pup will not be returning to the UK).

For travelling the Cusidh pup went accompanied and Kielo followed the airlines requirements re crate type and size. She brought the crate over with her. In addition paper work was required to state that the puppy had not been outside his own kennels or in contact with other dogs. This was just a signed letter from ourselves. I'm afraid here I'm unsure what else was needed, but, Kielo kept duplicate copies of all paperwork one with her and one with the pup. The airport and airlines will all have different requirements. I also don't know what was done about insurance.

I don't have any info re unaccompanied travel requirements.

At some point the ownership will obvioulsy be transferred and the dog required to be registered in the new country. For Finland certainly an export pedigree was required for this. This was another form to complete from the UK Kennel Club which again required the microchip no (so keep a record of that yourself) and also required certification from our vet that the dog pup was entire (obvioulsy not an issue for a bitch).

Hope this helps. Elise

• MrsMc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #4481 by MrsMc
MrsMc replied the topic: Re:Exporting
The only thing I know is that a friend was thinking of getting a pup from abroad but she was put off by the fact it would be about 11 months by the time she got it. I don't know if that is the usually time frame or just with the breeder she was dealing with.
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by MrsMc.

• elvee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #4488 by elvee
elvee replied the topic: Re:Exporting
Thanks Elise.

More
9 years 11 months ago #4508 by Terry
Terry replied the topic: Re:Exporting
HI Lynne,

Back when I got Tess from Scotland to bring her home to the states, it wasn't too complicated. Ha. The Breeder had to have Kennel papers on the pup, vacinations done, micro-chipped, they did a liver shunt, and Vet's statement. A bill of sale transfering ownership ( maybe a form from the Kennel Club for that?). I don't think that they had to do anything more. I had to go through a shipping agent in Edinburgh as I was flying Continental. We had to have a crate in which the pup could stand in w/o her head hitting the top, lay down and turn around in. Food and water containers as well as the food. It was a long flight, 7+ hours to the states, New Jersey, and then two and a half more to Florida. The shipping charges were based upon the weight and the displacement of the crate, ie. cubic feet/meters (with pup in crate). It cost a ton as Tess was four and a half months and weighed 55lbs. That was a little over 3 years ago as Tess was three on Boxing Day. Oh, I did some of the initial work on the shipping before I went to Scotland so I had a person as a contact at the shipping agent which was a help. There was some bit of paper work from that end too, of course.

Hope this is af assistance to you,

Terry

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #4708 by Ardneish
Ardneish replied the topic: Re:Exporting
For Germany
Microchip

Rabies vaccination

Two weeks later blood sample taken sent to labe

Await result if it comes back good Full passport is issued

If the rabies vaccine has not taken you have to go through the whole thing again
You can however give the rabies vaccine minimum of 3 weeks before travel, without doing bloods but this means its not a full passport and you could not bring the puppy back home if something goes wrong

So having just sent my dog puppy to Holland I made sure I got a full passport, which means he could travel back to the UK in six months if something went wrong with the home, I also had asked a friend who said they would take the puppy in for me if this happened

Needless to say it has'nt but I wanted cover and protection for my puppy, as any puppy bred by me comes home to me if a problem happens in the new home
I also had the puppy vetted 24 hours before travel and the vet signed the health declaration

• elvee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #4717 by elvee
Thankyou Betina,much appreciated.

• feldandjack
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Post Graduate Boarder
More
9 years 10 months ago #4732 by feldandjack
feldandjack replied the topic: Re:Exporting
When two of Caras pups went to Finland they traveled before they were 12 weeks and did not start any rabies jabs. I got a letter from Finish authority stating exactly what they required for entry to Finland this included vaccinations, microchips and letters from breeder. I contacted the cargo company for instructions re. the crate and delivered the pups to the Cargo depot in Edinburgh. They were flown to Frankfurt for an overnight stay, then on to Finland. There were no direct flights from Edinburgh to Helsinki, so the had to stay overnight in Frankfurt.
The pups were kept in the cargo company office while awaiting their flight (warmer and more company for them)and arrived in Helsinki looking none the worse for their adventure.
It was interesting to see their wee xray picture when the crate was scanned, two perfect little skeletons sitting side by side :-)

More
9 years 10 months ago #4733 by verenav
verenav replied the topic: Re:Exporting
Why don't you contact the German embassy or someone who really knows ? And , if the new owners want to show or anything it might be wise if they contacted the German kennel club to make sure , what kind of microchip is accepted there , they also will most likely need an export pedigree . I imported 3 of mine to Canada ( from Denmark ,England and Germany ) and it was not that much extra work - only the kennel clubs were really finicky .

Verena

• elvee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #4734 by elvee
Thankyou,I have had a reply from DEFRA today,after a week,and the kennel club,but I think I will contact the German embassy and kennel club as well.

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #4738 by Ardneish
Ardneish wrote:

For Germany
Microchip

Rabies vaccination

Two weeks later blood sample taken sent to labe

Await result if it comes back good Full passport is issued

If the rabies vaccine has not taken you have to go through the whole thing again
You can however give the rabies vaccine minimum of 3 weeks before travel, without doing bloods but this means its not a full passport and you could not bring the puppy back home if something goes wrong

So having just sent my dog puppy to Holland I made sure I got a full passport, which means he could travel back to the UK in six months if something went wrong with the home, I also had asked a friend who said they would take the puppy in for me if this happened

Needless to say it has'nt but I wanted cover and protection for my puppy, as any puppy bred by me comes home to me if a problem happens in the new home
I also had the puppy vetted 24 hours before travel and the vet signed the health declaration

This is what is required if you want a FULL PASSPORT, which means the puppies can travel back to the uk in six months after issue

If you don,t care about that, and if something goes wrong with the home, and you have good friends over there that can help you out
then you just need a rabies vaccine 3 weeks before trave , and a good idea to do the vet health check 24hrs before travel

If you want to put them in a crate when they should be at home with mum, and send them of on an airplane for two days, and take the attitude " out of sight out of mind" do what the other poster does

I for the life of me would never agree to ship puppies this way

My puppy was collected from my home by the owner who drove from Holland after friends over there had conducted no end of home checks

• elvee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #4740 by elvee
My buyer is planning on coming over by car to collect the puppy in person,I agree,I wouldn't want to send a little dog out on it's own in a crate.I have emailed the German embassy and kennel club for advice.

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #4757 by Ardneish
Great Elvee

I know thats the correct procedure for Holland and Germany

I am planning to take 3 of my deerhounds over to the German breedshow this year, so if your puppy is going to a show home let me know its Kennel Name so I can look out for it if its at the show

Good luck

More
9 years 10 months ago #5258 by fiddle
fiddle replied the topic: Re:Exporting
There is also a nice “trick”.
If the puppy is younger then three months, the puppy does not need a rabies vaccination.
The only thing the breeder has to get from the veterinarian is a document which explains that the puppy has stayed from birth till the time of leaving always at the same place and never had any contact with an animal that might have been infected with the rabies virus.
Plus microchip and EU Pet Passport. That’s it!

The other thing I always advice is to go through the tunnel. Because then you stay in the car with your puppy, you are not allowed to stay in the car when you book a P&O or Sea France
Crossing, nor is the puppy or adult dog allowed go with you on deck.
Attachments:

• elvee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #5259 by elvee
Thankyou for that.What a lovely puppy!I have a 15mth old bitch from Nell by Fritzens rannoch.I often look at your website and admire your hounds.

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #5261 by Ardneish
In response to your post " a nice trick" the only trick is that it saves you money.

Any responsible caring breeder would ensure puppies that are being exported have a FULL PASSPORT!, which includes rabies vaccination blood test, microchip etc.

I am tired of new people coming into a breed I adore, and have lived with for 30 years , knocking out puppies without a care as to there future life and home.motivated by money and show wins.

How would you get your puppy back to the UK, if it needed re homing in its lifetime??
A caring responsible breeder ensures they re home any puppy bred by them with no regard to age or condition.

• elvee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #5263 by elvee
Ardneish wrote:
[

I am tired of new people coming into a breed I adore, and have lived with for 30 years , knocking out puppies without a care as to there future life and home.motivated by money and show wins.

I assure you,I am not motivated by money,and have my puppies futures my priority.Yes,I am new to the breed,but am totally committed,and to have you say I have 'knocked out' a litter for greed and selfish reasons,is upsetting and offensive.

• Ardneish
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #5264 by Ardneish
Ardneish wrote:

In response to your post " a nice trick" the only trick is that it saves you money.

Any responsible caring breeder would ensure puppies that are being exported have a FULL PASSPORT!, which includes rabies vaccination blood test, microchip etc.

How would you get your puppy back to the UK, if it needed re homing in its lifetime??
A caring responsible breeder ensures they re home any puppy bred by them with no regard to age or condition.

Where in my above post did I use the words??

for greed and selfish reasons,is upsetting and offensive.

If telling you honestly is offensive to you well then good job you did not ever meet Miss Noble!
I note you did not answer my question as to how you would get the Deerhound bred by you back home to England or re home the dog if something happened to the home in its lifetime??
Last Edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Ardneish.

• elvee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #5265 by elvee
If you note from my reply to a previous post of yours,giving me good advice,I have every intention of making sure my puppy will be able to come home,with a full passport.I only thanked Fiddle for his coment,I didn't agree with him.
I would love to have met Miss Noble.:) I have read a lot about her,and heard some wonderful stories from various people.She must have been one exceptional lady!

More
9 years 10 months ago #5266 by fiddle
fiddle replied the topic: Re:Exporting
I just wanted to point out another possibility of exporting a puppy.
As I deal with this kind of things everyday I thought it would be interesting for any breeder who wants to export a puppy to the European continent.
Also do I think that especially new breeders take especially care when they decide to whom they sell a puppy.
In the past we have imported several Deerhounds from the UK like Ardkinglas, Dufault, Killoeter, Rosslyn and Kilbourne. Maybe we got to know each other before quite well and the thought how they get the exported puppy back was at the very end of the questionnaire.
And I would like to translate a saying of my grandmother; no doubt you have an equivalent in English: “Nobody expects anyone behind the bushes if you haven’t sat there yourself”
We have exported to so many countries and all the puppies went to fantastic carrying and loving homes and we didn’t do it for the money we did for the Deerhound-lovers.
Attachments:

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.745 seconds