Hello from Harriet

• Robb
  • Robb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #37782 by Robb
Robb created the topic: Hello from Harriet
I've been very lucky and have been accepted to adopt Harriet (Harri) who was a stray that was rescued by South East Dog Rescue who do a great job in the South east of England.

I drove down to kent to collect her and we drove home to Shropshire together with her licking my ear regularly throughout the journey. She seems to have been accepted by Lola the Lurcher and Timba the Deerhound who are both rescues as well. They are all getting on very well together.

She's very lovable and seems to be happy with her new home. She needs some weight putting on her and her coat is out of condition but a few weeks of a good diet should help.

Some pictures of her:

Rob B
Attachments:
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Robb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elise, verenav, Joerg Yoki, BristolTim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #37783 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Hello and welcome Harri dh:) here.

Rob, your Harri has lovely look.
Thanks for post the very nice pictures.

We wish you all all the best.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb

More
5 years 10 months ago #37784 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
That's great Robb. We all know what a lovely home she has gone to and how spoilt she will be!!! Glad she is settling in with the other two.

More
5 years 10 months ago #37786 by stussy
stussy replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
:laugh: when i saw your link to her i had a suspicion you had applied her for her. i applied after you mentioned her and have been waiting to hear back :-) i could not be happier for for you both lucky
lucky pretty lady i wish you all the best :-) give her big hugs from me Claire

• Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
5 years 10 months ago #37787 by Robb
Robb replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
She's got a lovely personality, so loving. I'm a bit worried about her at the moment as she's too thin and all bones. I'm feeding her well and hopefully she'll fill out quite soon.

I think she's healthy enough as she's running well with the other dogs and quite outgoing!

Rob B

More
5 years 10 months ago #37788 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Best news Robb! Very pleased for you. No matter what her earlier circumstances, Harriet's life has just taken a happy turn. You've got a lovely pack there with Lola and Timba and Harri. Good for you!
Shelley :)

Ironstone Deerhounds

More
5 years 10 months ago #37790 by crackadog
crackadog replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Claire, I was browsing the other day and saw someone(breeder?) in Boston Lincs looking for a new home for a DH bitch who had finished her maternal duties and now wanted a forever home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Robb, stussy

More
5 years 10 months ago #37791 by Jacobite
Jacobite replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
She's a very lucky girl, I hope you have lots do fun with her.

Pam

Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

More
5 years 9 months ago #37800 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Great news - Harri is very lucky.

• Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #37826 by Robb
Been to the Vet's today to weigh Harri, she's only 31.2Kg(69lbs) so is quite a bit under weight as she's approx 76cm (30inches) high at the withers! It would seem her weight should be around 42-45Kg.

I'm giving her 3 feeds most days, mainly biscuits (Royal canine) and fresh chicken. She was fed on a chicken based diet at the Rescue Centre and when I gave her some lamb it upset her stomach. I'm now trying to slowly re-introduce lamb and also some beef mince.

It would be appreciated if anyone has any comments on what they think she should weigh and also any advise on building her weight back to what it should be!

Rob B

More
5 years 9 months ago #37827 by WendyS
WendyS replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Hi Robb
Harriet looks a real sweetie. You don't say how old they, the rescue/vet thinks she is. One of my girls has been a nightmare to get some flesh on and finally at age 3 she is a healthy weight. I have had her from a pup so I know she has been fed properly even if she didn't bother to eat what she was given a lot of the time. I still feed her 3 times a day, meat and kibble like you. I think the answer may be to feed her often, to put treats (eg. grated cheese, yoghurt even a spoonful of chicken fat) on the food if she doesn't seem keen. It could be worth trying her on tripe sometimes as it is so nutritious and kind to the stomach.
Best of luck with her.

• Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #37830 by Robb
The Vet estimated her age to be around 2 years Wendy.

Rob B
The following user(s) said Thank You: WendyS

More
5 years 9 months ago #37831 by Elise
Elise replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Hi Robb

Sounds as if Harri is doing very well. It will take time to put the weight on and a steady increase is good. I'd certainly keep going with the three meals a day introducing new things slowly as you are. Fish could be good and bioactive yoghurt too. There was another thread on the forum re weight gain. I'll try and find it as there people probably had better advice.

I wouldn't think though that an expected weight would be 42-45 kg. All our bitches are under that weight. Banrigh for example is always under 40 kg and is usually around 38 - 39 kg. It's only our dogs that can get up to over 42 kg. Our puppy who is 6 months old is currently just under the 30 kg mark. She's not very tall but is solid.

All the best

More
5 years 9 months ago #37836 by Bodhranlady
Bodhranlady replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Hi Robb. Our five and a half year old mature male of 30" weighs 36kg. The vet says he is an excellent weight and in fit condition. 42 -45kg I would think would be far too heavy for a bitch of that size. Our other male who is 32 1/2" and a big, long, chap weighs 50kg and really looks rather on the too plumptious side. Always remember, too skinny is much better than overweight :)

• Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #37838 by Robb
Thanks all for the advise.

I agree that it's best not to let them get too heavy. My last Deerhound was 53Kg and I thought he was too heavy even though he was not fed large amounts, just good quality fresh food.

I got the weight of 42-45 Kg from various web sites describing Deerhounds. I'll probably continue feeding her as I am at present and cut back when she has put 5Kg or so on.

Rob B

More
5 years 9 months ago #37839 by Ironstone
Ironstone replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Think you have the right idea Robb, just continue on as you are. I have a tall skinny two year old as well. I expect she will fill out a bit later than her litter mates and that is perfectly fine. I had a male who stayed thin his entire life no matter how much he ate and that was okay too.

How is Harri making out in her new pack with Lola and Timba?

Ironstone Deerhounds

• Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #37841 by Robb
Thanks Shelley, Harri seems to be fitting in quite well although she can get a bit too rough for Timba Greyhound and Lola Lurcher. No trouble though, fingers crossed, they just shout at her an she gets the message!

They walk nicely together and it's a new experience walking 3 dogs but they are all well behaved and just seem to do as I tell them. The only thing for me to watch is Lola if she sees a cat! She's got enormous muscles in her back legs and although she's only around 28kg in weight can pull as hard as any Deerhound when her back legs get working!

They seem to share the sofa/chairs well and it seems first come first served or often 2 of them will share leaving the chair or floor for me. dh:)

Rob B
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ironstone

More
5 years 9 months ago #37843 by verenav
verenav replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
I'd say it depends also a bit on her bone strength- had a female of 76cm who was just great with 75lbs in top condition and have one now, a tad smaller, who weighs around 80lbs and is in great condition, too- she just has more substance/bone than the other one had. My girl who is about 29.5" and has good substance weighs around 83lbs (8years, great condition) and I had/have 2 taller ones, both about 32" and both with not enough bone, both weighing in at around 83-85lbs in their best condition. These just as an example- I know a wonderful female, 32"tall and with great substance fitting her (enormous)seize and she weighs around 110-115lbs, never fat, at times a bit skinny, great huntress and lure courser....she would be an exception for a female - I hope at least. 2 years is not so very old, weight will come on over time- would not try to rush it, building up slowly and continously seems the healthiest way to go.
Do you have any new pics of your lovely gang?

• Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Open Boarder
More
5 years 9 months ago #37844 by Robb
Thanks Verana, Harri does need some weight as her bones are all sticking out especially at her rear end. I'll be carefull not to overdo it.

No new pics really as it's been nothing but rain here for many weeks now. Seems the Jet stream is too far south which means the depressions just roll in one after the other with no end in sight. Will post some as soon as I get a chance to take some more!

Rob B

More
5 years 9 months ago #37845 by Joerg Yoki
Joerg Yoki replied the topic: Re: Hello from Harriet
Hi Rob,

I think you're on the right way with your Harri.
I weighed my Yoki now, she weighs 35kg (77 lbs).

We hope of better weather for you.

Regards
Joerg and Yoki + Lucy dh:) dh:)

Moderators: Joerg Yoki
Time to create page: 0.685 seconds