Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: leaving the forum

leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18779

Due to a recent post in which I have been openly accused of being a liar I have decided that it is best if I leave this forum.

I am extremely upset about this accusation as the person concerned did not have the decency to PM me with their feelings but felt it was appropriate to say them in the relevant thread.

I would just like to say that at no time have I ever lied or made posts to 'have praise heaped on me by other members.

I have, up to now, enjoyed being a part of this site and have learnt a lot about deerhounds through the (mostly) lovely friendly members.

I wish you all and your hounds good luck for the future......
  • houndy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18780

Hello Houndy
I have to say I am extremely disappointed to learn that you may leave this forum as I absolutely love hearing what you're up to in the deerhound world. I especially appreciate how you race off to investigate any and all deerhound/lurchers that might be in distress and/or in need of a home. You are the deerhound rescue. While others may fret, you hop into your car and investigate! Wow.

I sense that there may be other issues at play here of which I am unaware, and frankly I don't care to know the details. I check into this forum to be amongst other deerhound enthusiasts because it's fun and I can gain valuable insights. The rest is simply superfluous.

All I can say Houndy is that I enjoy reading your posts, and I hope you will stay among us.
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 287
Ironstone Deerhounds

Re: leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18781

Evening Houndy
I have only spoken to you a couple of times directly on here but am really sorry to hear that you feel that you have to leave. I have enjoyed reading a lot of your posts and feel it would be a great loss to everybody if that happens.
  • chilliwoman
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Never judge a book by its cover.........always look deeper![url][/url]www.chillifundamentals.co.uk

Re: leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18782

I have no idea what has gone on here but don't let a few words spoil something that you so obviously enjoy so much
  • Vikingxc
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18783

It's a shame to see you go especially because of a disagreement with one other member when so many other members of the forum wish you to stay. I'm sure that you intended no inconvenience to the other party. Surely if you go then you will just be admitting defeat which seems so unlike you.
  • Robb
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 280
Rob B

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18786

I have kept my “head below the parapet” & will continue to do so as that is the way I prefer it to be. It’s easy enough in the rest of my life to be controversial without being like that on this site as well. I will make the following observations & remind everyone that these are my personal views, I don’t expect everyone to agree, nor am I expecting everyone or anyone to change their view to that of mine…. so here goes.....
I was under the impression that forums were places where people with similar interests had the opportunity to discuss topics to provide information etc to the benefit of others from your past experiences.
Some of the contributions would come from people who had vast knowledge of the subject mater & others might have experienced it once or not even at all. However everyone was still entitled to share their opinion on the subject without the need to defend it. "Why should they" it's just their view, which they are entitled to. :)
From my experience of reading some of the posts on this site it would appear that is not the case. Some feel the need to dictate that their opinion is the only one that should be adopted that then leads to others finding a need to defend their view & worse still feeling that they can no longer take an active part in the forum.
Personally I feel that this is a real shame & I’m sure not the intention of the site administrators.
I’m sure that some will disagree with this…… but as I have stated it’s only MY OPINION
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 707
Wigster n San x

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18791

If I'm honest Wigster, I think this is the reason I don't post on here as much as I thought I would when I first joined. I haven't the time or energy to defend my view and I haven't owned deerhounds for thirty years therefore I don't know what I'm doing. I have made some great friends within the deerhound community but I have also had some very negative experiences which have put me off joining in. I am digressing because I'm not talking solely about this forum.

Houndy, I have always enjoyed reading your posts and it certainly would be a shame if you let one comment end your time here.
  • Purple
  • Graduate Boarder

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18799

Hi Houndy
As you know forums are an open discussion area and there will always be times when some posts can get personal and emotions run high.
If you remember I was, and the breeder, openly attacked about a situation I was having. At the time I was taken aback and upset. It took me a few days to put things into perspective. Overall though, this forum is a wonderful place for like minded people to share their experiences and to ask questins.
Squabbles are always going to occur at times. Put it behind you and move on. Life is too short to let these things get under your skin.
  • Brollachan
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 81

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18800

That is good advice, but I can see no reason why people should feel they have to defend their views because of intimidation
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
Wigster n San x

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18806

Hi Houndy, I think that's very sad that you feel that you should leave this forum because of one person's rudeness. I know on forums like this tempers sometimes run high and people often say things they later regret. Perhaps you could have a private word with whoever was so unpleasant. If you feel you can't we will certainly miss your contributions to the forum.

Best Wishes Pam
  • Jacobite
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 179
Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18811

Hello Houndy,

We hope you come back in the Deerhound forum.

Best regards
Joerg and Yoki
  • Joerg and Yoki
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1397

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18832

Hello Houndy

Don't go! Life is too short!!

We all share our love of deerhounds and lurchers on this Forum, as do you. I'll certainly miss reading your posts about your dogs.. :( And yes from time to time people don't always get on and say things often in anger, disappointment or hurt, time heals. Please reconsider and join us all again?

Tulla is nudging me to stop tapping into this laptop - so I had better obey!!!

Take care, Houndy

Vicky
  • Clunie
  • Post Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 92

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18839

John

You are 100% right. Tracey, that is sad when you feel intimidated to join in on the forum. Your experiences and daily situations with your dogs are invaluable to someone else, whether or not they have owned them for 30 years or not, you are never too old to learn something new.
I had the same experience Brollochan when I dared to say I used a Halti on my dog :(

Come on people, our forum is falling to peices, please be civil to one another. :P
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18842

I watched with interest the posts on the halti subject & believe that topic illustrates my point precisely. I have observed people, some breeder/owner/exhibitor for many years & I was shocked at the methods they used to “control” their hounds, but decided to let it be rather than cause grief. you just passed your opinion, thats all. I listened & added it all to my own experiences, then made my own mind up :)
  • Brodie
  • Limit Boarder
Wigster n San x

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18845

All dogs and circumstances are different and what works for one may not work for others. A dog-man once said to me "a well behaved dog is a pleasure, a badly behaved one is an embarassment" and I hold this as true. I dont care if a method is seen as shocking as long as it works!!(within reason of course)
  • hairybeasty

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18847

Brodie wrote:
I watched with interest the posts on the halti subject & believe that topic illustrates my point precisely. I have observed people, some breeder/owner/exhibitor for many years & I was shocked at the methods they used to “control” their hounds, but decided to let it be rather than cause grief. you just passed your opinion, thats all. I listened & added it all to my own experiences, then made my own mind up :)

I hardly post at all now because of the 'halti' subject. I found some of the responses quite 'bossy' and entrenched. At the time I did withdraw from the web-site for a while having been made to feel that my 40+ years of owning dogs was deemed worthless :(
Please do not leave the forum...perhaps just a little break for a while, with a peep in, here and there. :)

Su
  • sumac
  • Yearling Boarder

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18850

Hi Houndy
Just remember "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Listen to the people you want to listen to, and bin all the rest.

oh and as my late, great father used to say "If you can't say something nice, don't say it at all".

Mind you he also used to tell us that when the music came out of an ice cream van it meant that it had run out of ice cream.....
kind regards and best wishes from thunder and lightening ville (NZ - we've just had 2 days of near constant thunder and sheet lightening which would get so bad the glass in the windows was shaking).
Jenny, paul,
Jag and Faye send wags and licks
  • Trafalgarhills
  • Graduate Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18864

I don't want to talk specifically about the incident with Houndy. Life for most of us has enough going on to worry too much about what happens on the Internet. I regret, but respect her decision to leave the forum.

When it comes to personal abuse its easy - click the report to moderator button - I'm sure more problems could be nipped in the bud. So please if you see a thread going wrong, let me know!

Common sense normally dictates what's right and wrong, what matters and what isn't really worth arguing about. We can all write without tack or tolerance on some occasions. Careful wording of your post can avoid a lot of problems. Write it down then read it an hour later, just think how it might make others feel. The Internet is a little too instant at times.

We discuss some controversial subjects, it would be pretty dull if we avoided or moderated out anything contentious.
Some issues do provoke strong opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own. If you don't agree you can always laugh it off, walk away, start a new thread.

The forum is about discussion, speaking and listening to others. We need a balance of opinions. It won't work if people are intimidated and walk away. If someone asks for advice, it shouldn't be seen as an opportunity for criticism - we all make mistakes.

I am always open to suggestions for improvements. However, don't be offended if I won't support your personal opinion, even if I agree, I have to try to be impartial.

The most important thing to remember is that all the people on this forum are real, with feelings and are just trying to do their best by their hound. I still enjoy the forum and get a lot from it personally. For the most part I find posts and advice extremely positive and informative.
  • Teratyke
  • Is one ever enough?
  • Thank you received: 193

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18865

What wise words Teratyke.Therein lie lessons for us all in life not just this forum.If we held this as truth the world would be a far better place....
  • hairybeasty

Re:leaving the forum 7 years 9 months ago #18867

Teratyke wrote:
I don't want to talk specifically about the incident with Houndy. Life for most of us has enough going on to worry too much about what happens on the Internet. I regret, but respect her decision to leave the forum.

When it comes to personal abuse its easy - click the report to moderator button - I'm sure more problems could be nipped in the bud. So please if you see a thread going wrong, let me know!

Common sense normally dictates what's right and wrong, what matters and what isn't really worth arguing about. We can all write without tack or tolerance on some occasions. Careful wording of your post can avoid a lot of problems. Write it down then read it an hour later, just think how it might make others feel. The Internet is a little too instant at times.

We discuss some controversial subjects, it would be pretty dull if we avoided or moderated out anything contentious.
Some issues do provoke strong opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own. If you don't agree you can always laugh it off, walk away, start a new thread.

The forum is about discussion, speaking and listening to others. We need a balance of opinions. It won't work if people are intimidated and walk away. If someone asks for advice, it shouldn't be seen as an opportunity for criticism - we all make mistakes.

I am always open to suggestions for improvements. However, don't be offended if I won't support your personal opinion, even if I agree, I have to try to be impartial.

The most important thing to remember is that all the people on this forum are real, with feelings and are just trying to do their best by their hound. I still enjoy the forum and get a lot from it personally. For the most part I find posts and advice extremely positive and informative.

I want a 'Like' button for this! Well said, Rob.
  • Sid
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 87
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 0.569 seconds