Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A new title for Wist

A new title for Wist 8 years 5 months ago #15254

Wist and I took a trip up to Colorado on Friday so she could take the American Temperament Test Society's test this morning. We knew a little about what to expect but nobody really knows how thier dog will react to the unexpected until it happens..if ever. The test is a series of "stations' with different things happening at each. The test is performed on a 6 foot leash and choke or martingale collar and you are NOT allowed to talk to your dog, give any kind of signals or any pulling or guiding of the leash, basically they are out there on thier own. The first station was meeting a stranger shaking hands and carrying on a conversation, Wist gave a friendly wag of her tail and then waited patiently until we were done. The second station was a stranger calling her and talking to her....she loved that and was very friendly and outging. The third station was someone hiding behind a truck who comes out shaking a metal bucket full of rocks, she just went right up to the bucket when it was set down and sniffed the contents. The fourth station was standing with our backs to a truck and someone behind fired 3 LOUD shots from a gun, she just stood her ground, no fear, no jumping. The fifth station was walking up to someone sitting down in a chair who opens an umbrella as you get close to them. She wasn't too sure but didn't back away and then went up and sniffed the umbrella to find out what it was. Next we had to walk over a big sheet of plastic then she had to walk over a 12 foot long ex pen whilst I walked next to it...no problems. The final station was one I had no idea how she would react to, a big guy in a hat, wrapped in a sleeping bag, shaking a stick comes running out from behind a truck and rushed towards us shouting and screaming. She stood her ground, put her ears up and then did the ultimate thing...stood right in front of me to protect me....who would have thought!. She showed no fear, just interest...any signs of aggression or dogs who didn't recover quickly from being frightened did not pass.
So, she passed with a perfect score and gets to add TT to the end of her name...what a girl!.
Joan and Wist....MBIF FC Witsend Wistful, SC, TT.
  • Deerhoundlady
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:A new title for Wist 8 years 5 months ago #15256

What a wonderful girl, you must be so proud of her :cheer: :cheer:

Pam
  • Jacobite
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 179
Pam and Dave Moffitt

Jacobite Deerhounds

Re:A new title for Wist 8 years 5 months ago #15259

How extraordinary! Thank you for that description of each of the stations - very interesting. I'm afraid I would have been shrieking in fear at most of them. Do you think your reactions transferred to your dog in any way or not? Don't like the gun station or the hatted man in the sleeping bag, and absolutely love that Wist stepped in front of you to protect. My first deerhound used to wrap his body around me in a u-shape whenever he felt I might be in danger. Hugs to Wist :)
  • Ironstone
  • Limit Boarder
  • Thank you received: 287
Ironstone Deerhounds

Re:A new title for Wist 8 years 5 months ago #15276

Thanks for sharing and congratulations. I know that 2 of mine would have failed miserably with the gun shots since they go mental when a neighbouring property does target shooting (quite regularly :angry: )
  • Brollachan
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 81

Re:A new title for Wist 8 years 5 months ago #15278

Mine wouldn't have liked the umbrella, he would have barked like mad.
  • Lurch8252
  • Open Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Re:A new title for Wist 8 years 5 months ago #15280

Yay! Well done Wist. I would have needed a stiff drink after that lot :laugh: :laugh: I wonder if sleeping bag man wondered what he had let himself in for when he saw the size of Wist.
  • MrsMc
Last Edit: 8 years 5 months ago by MrsMc.
Moderators: Joerg and Yoki
Time to create page: 1.503 seconds